jbarner20
Registered since

Mar 8, 2018

S1 Pro and the Bose Connect Signal Strength

Has anyone tested how far they were able to have their S1 Pros separated and maintain a solid signal? I haven’t had the opportunity to go extreme with it but so far it’s been great at normal distances.

9 REPLIES 9
CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Re: S1 Pro and the Bose Connect Signal Strength

Not sure how extreme this “test” represents, but I placed my S1 on the first floor of my house in one corner, then while playing some music via Bluetooth through my iPhone, walked upstairs to the second floor in the opposite corner of the house. I estimate this was about 45-50 feet. The signal never deteriorated. I was shocked. This is a signal that didn’t have line of sight, but had to go a distance through walls across floors! 

jbarner20
Registered since

Mar 8, 2018

Whoops I wasn’t very thorough in my first post. I had meant s1 pros in party mode and how stable is the connection between the two without breaking up ??. But yes I get crazy Bluetooth distances with a single speaker too ??

Ric1
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I used my Bose S1 Pro recently at a beach party in the Oceanside, California pier for a little over 11 hours at dance volumes using the iHeart Radio app on my smartphone and walked around everywhere, and the music never stopped. I would guess 30 to 40 feet away from the Bose S1 Pro on many occasions.

Satin Latin
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2012

Hello Ric,

11 hours is impressive, I'm assuming on battery power? Did you use 1 or 2 S1 pro's and how many people? Was the sound in your opinion adequate?

Looking to pick up 2 of these for these type of events.

jbarner20
Registered since

Mar 8, 2018

Satin Latin posted:

Hello Ric,

11 hours is impressive, I'm assuming on battery power? Did you use 1 or 2 S1 pro's and how many people? Was the sound in your opinion adequate?

Looking to pick up 2 of these for these type of events.

If money isn’t an issue I highly recommend two. I didn’t realize how much I was stressing out one wanting it to sound like two. Two of anything is better obviously and I forgot that simple rule.

I finally did a small test of separating mine about 25 feet indoors in both mono and stereo and I didn’t get any breakups between the speakers. The only issue I ran into is if I exited the app and reopened, the app would make the music hiccup. This makes me think the speakers do not communicate with each other but solely with the app alone. I had a pair of Beats Pills XL that used NFC and it was awful. I couldn’t separate them more than 6-8 feet without them breaking up CONSTANTLY.

Ric1
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

It was an all day party of 20 to 40 people in and out all day. I was not playing it anywhere near full volume. It was tilted up on a concrete picnic table where all the food trays were. My phone was simply playing iHeart radio on the Big Classic Hits channel. I had to plug my phone into a USB battery, because it was draining it's battery faster than my Bose S1 Pro!

jbarner20
Registered since

Mar 8, 2018

I did a real time test in a setting I’ll be using party mode frequently. I was pretty satisfied. I would say the s1s were 25 feet or so apart in the huge open space. I kept my phone respectfully in the middle of the room most of the time. In the picture you can see them to the far left and right. In mono, I only got disturbance twice but I think that’s because I left my phone on the floor. In stereo that was a different story. I got a nice handful of breakups at that extreme distance. It was too much to risk playing in stereo. Maybe the app has to process too much of the higher quality files to Bluetooth at those distances to keep the solid connection.  They sounded great though. Nice bass response having them close to the walls.

44FAA6D3-97F9-47E7-A31A-BBC84C330748

Ric1
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

That's very similar to an FM stereo tuner. Sometimes you have to switch to mono to eliminate the cutting in and out, as the stereo channel is a weaker signal on a carrier wave. Thanks for the informative review of your experiment.

jbarner20
Registered since

Mar 8, 2018

Ric posted:

That's very similar to an FM stereo tuner. Sometimes you have to switch to mono to eliminate the cutting in and out, as the stereo channel is a weaker signal on a carrier wave. Thanks for the informative review of your experiment.

Ahh that does make sense, thank you!