cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice
Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community!

This is a community for Live Musicians, DJs & KJs, Entertainers of all kinds, and Sound Engineers to discuss Bose Professional S1, L1, F1, and Tonematch systems.

The Bose Community for Bose speakers, headphones, audio sunglasses and more is no longer available. If you need assistance with other Bose products, such as the Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Soundbar 900, QuietComfort 45, etc., please visit our support site. Please note that threads created for non-Bose Professional products will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

S1 Pro as a Monitor w/Model 2 or Compact?

Hi Bose Friends! 

I'm back on the road for a few weeks touring in WI and MI and I am pondering an S1 Pro. I'm a LONG time L1 user going back to January of 2005 but I don't play all that much any more. I'm mostly a stay-at-home dad with periodic musical road trips. A few years ago I abandoned all of my Bose gear! I kept getting stuck in small corners, under low tents or gazebos and I was noticing some hearing damage from putting my L1 systems behind me and going with the "you hear what the audience hears" approach that I had been doing for over a decade. So as a bit of background, I'm back to a Model 2 and a Compact but I'm trying to be very cautious about my set ups and how close I stand to the L1. But, I really need a good monitor mix to sing and play my best.

I played my first 3 hour show in almost a year on Saturday. I had almost no set up time and didn't even fool with a sound check. I just plugged in a started. I'm using a relatively new mic and I knew about a half hour in that I was going to be in vocal trouble. I just wasn't hearing my vocals the way I usually do and I was pushing! I made a few adjustments and made it through the show but I need to make some changes!

I'm going back to my trusty Audix OM-5 so I know that will help but I'm wondering about adding an S1 Pro as a floor monitor. If I do this, I don't have to worry about where I put my L1. I can get the monitor mix I need from the S1 and be far enough away from the L1 to not worry about it being too loud in my higher volume situations. 

I've been going over this in my head and I think my best set up would be vocals and guitar into the T1, ToneMatch port out to my Model 2 and then Master out to the S1 Pro. Can I go TRS to TRS from the Master out of the T1 to channel 1 (or 2) of the S1 Pro? If not, I do have TRS to XLR cable that I can use. 

I know I could go guitar and vocals into the S1 Pro and then line out to the Analog Input on the base of the Model 2 but if I did this and started show and needed to be louder or softer, it would be a bit of mess to make that happen! 

Any thoughts or advice on this would be much appreciated. I'm in one town for the next two days and then I'm traveling for the next couple of weeks so if I pull the trigger on this, I'd need to do it today!

Just for added info: vocals = Audix OM 5, Guitar = Maton Performer w/AP5 pickup plugged straight into the T1.

Thanks!
Matt

23 REPLIES 23
open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Re: S1 Pro as a Monitor w/Model 2 or Compact?

Yep! I'm replying to my own topic!

Seems like a better bet would be to build a monitor mix from the Aux Out to the S1!

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Sounds like you’ve got a plan. I would just reiterate that using the S1 as a monitor or Aux out has worked well for us. While we didn’t use it as a monitor per se, we used it to pipe our L1M2 signal to an awkward part of a performance space at one outdoor venue that was essentially around a corner from where we were playing. 

The S1 was on a speaker pole, pointed back behind us and had to run on battery power as there wasn’t any convenient power where we had to place it. Having that extra flexibility with the battery and still maintain that excellent Bose quality sound made this work quite nicely. 

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Sounds like a good plan.

Another nice thing about using the S1 as a monitor is ONE WIRE from the T1 - Either TRS to TRS or TRS to XLR work fine.

And setup is QUICK - run on batteries and use the S1 as a wedge in front of you...

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Hi CityFolk and Chet 3!

Thanks for your help! I did order one. I am able to have it overnighted to me so I'll get it before I have to hit the road AND I'll get to try it out tomorrow night!

I've never tried using the Aux feature on the T1 and I'm sorry I put it off this long. What a great feature! I built an Aux mix and tried it through my Compact and I think it will be just perfect! I can make separate adjustments to my vocals and guitar, send that mix to the S1 and leave the main mix alone.

I'm excited!

Matt

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Excellent Matt. Hope everything goes smoothly. I don’t have a T1, but use an Aux out from a Yamaha mixer which is a TRS 1/4” into Channel 1 of the S1. Had to tweak the EQ a tiny bit at the S1 end. It should work very well as a monitor for you.

Probably repeating the obvious, but be sure to charge up the battery initially as soon as you get it. In super charge mode, it shouldn’t take long. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Matt!

Great to see you, buddy. It's nice to know you're out there on the open road Matt.

Well, you're certainly showing your experience as you shared your thinking about all your options.

Yes, using the T1 Aux output for the S1 will give you the most control.

I'm excited for you. I've got the S1 Pro, and it's super versatile. Be sure to try both orientations on the ground (yes the logo rotates - counterclockwise only).  

Please come back and tell us what you hear.

ST

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Hi CityFolk!

I hadn't really thought much about using the battery. As I was looking at it on Sweetwater I saw a separate battery for sale so I wasn't even sure that mine came with a battery. It sounds like it does right? 

I was planning on plugging it in each time but I suppose using the battery would save me a cord. I'd then just have to just figure out when and where to charge it. 

Things to ponder!
Matt

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Hi ST!

Great to hear from you! And I always appreciate your help and input! 

I'm excited to try out the S1 Pro! Am I correct in thinking that as a monitor, the floor wedge rotation allows me to have the S1 closer to me? 

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow morning so I'll have some time to mess with it before the show tomorrow night. I'm outside tomorrow night with a big area to cover (and also a ton of room for me on stage) so it will be a perfect spot to test this out.

Thanks again!
Matt

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Matt,

The S1 comes with the battery now, no longer separately and at the same cost! You can use the battery or plug it in (it will automatically charge the battery when being used and plugged in). The beauty of it is there’s no difference in the sound. It’s the same either way. So use it any way that’s convenient. I think you’ll find the S1 to be really handy addition to your set of equipment.

Also, the battery lasts a long time on a charge. One forum member put it through a test cycle using the battery and after 8 hours stopped and he still had battery left! I’ve used it on battery for several 2-3 hour gigs with no issues.