cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Re: S1 Pro as a Monitor w/Model 2 or Compact?

That's good news about the battery! I'll have to see if the convenience of using the battery outweighs the need to periodically remember to charge it!

Matt

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Matt,

Matt Wahl posted:

Hi ST!

Great to hear from you! And I always appreciate your help and input! 

I'm excited to try out the S1 Pro! Am I correct in thinking that as a monitor, the floor wedge rotation allows me to have the S1 closer to me? 

Theoretically, yes.

In the speaker stand, tabletop, and tilt-back orientations the dispersion is

120 degrees horizontal x 50 degrees vertical

Tilt-back is better as a monitor for several people side-by-side.

In the horizontal dispersion (monitor) the dispersion is

50 degrees horizontal x 120 degrees vertical

Horizontal is better as a monitor for a solo performer, or one person when you don't want horizontal spillover to other performers.

Source: Orientations and Dispersions

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow morning so I'll have some time to mess with it before the show tomorrow night. I'm outside tomorrow night with a big area to cover (and also a ton of room for me on stage) so it will be a perfect spot to test this out.

Thanks again!
Matt

Hey Matt, please tell us what you hear, and how you like it.

Cheers,

ST

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

My S1 Pro showed up this morning as promised. I can't believe how tiny it is! I looked at a lot of pictures but it still seems smaller in person than I expected! 

I only messed with it in the floor wedge position and using my Aux mix from the T1. This is how I plan to use it tonight and for the rest of my shows on the tour. I don't have a speaker stand with me and all of my shows are in outdoor areas that would be (I think) too large for just the S1. I'll explore the other configurations when I get home.

First impressions: this thing is awesome! It sounds wonderful and puts out a lot of sound for such a small package. I think it will be perfect for my intended use (floor wedge with my L1) and I pretty sure I will find it to be an all around handy thing to have around!

I do think it would be nice if it came with a slip cover but what can you do?

My only complaint so far would be the lack of a master volume. I feel the same way about the L1 Compact. Can anyone offer any insight as to why Bose leaves this important (IMO) feature off of these products? 

A sometimes scenario (at least for me) is that I get all set up and do a sound check and get everything the way I think it should be. Then when I start playing, I find out that I need to be louder (or softer but I always err on the side of needing to be louder rather than being told to turn it down!) With the T1, this is easily done with a bump to the master volume. But if I'm plugged directly into the S1 Pro or the L1 Compact I'm stuck adjusting both the guitar and vocals, basically, re-mixing myself to bring the overall volume level up or down. Sure it can be done, but why not just include a master volume knob?!

Matt

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I suspect that Bose decided that adding the extra circuitry and cramming another knob into the unit just to control overall volume of only 2 channels (most of the time) was unnecessary.

Personally, since I have 2 of them and normally use a mixer to drive them, I have a master volume on the mixer(s) right next to me.  I also have a volume control on my guitar for micro-mixing that channel...

I thought you were going to mix your vocal/guitar in the Tonematch and send just one signal to the S1.  Did that not work out?

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Chet 3 posted:

I suspect that Bose decided that adding the extra circuitry and cramming another knob into the unit just to control overall volume of only 2 channels (most of the time) was unnecessary.

Personally, since I have 2 of them and normally use a mixer to drive them, I have a master volume on the mixer(s) right next to me.  I also have a volume control on my guitar for micro-mixing that channel...

I thought you were going to mix your vocal/guitar in the Tonematch and send just one signal to the S1.  Did that not work out?

The T1 worked just fine. I'm taking the Aux Out to the S1 and I can dial in a perfect monitor mix.

A while back I was on a quest to find a "perfect" acoustic amp. I made a list of what seemed to me to be some fairly normal features/expectations. I looked at many, many different options and it seemed to me that almost everything out there is missing one or more "key" features.

It's odd to me that manufacturers leave things off that to me seem simple and important but I know nothing about electronics or what it would take to add something like a master volume. 

Clearly not a deal breaker for me. I see myself almost always using the T1 with it, but if I was a performer who sang, played guitar and used say an iPod for backing tracks in that 3rd channel, I'd sure hate to be told to turn up or down after I started a show!

Matt

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I ALWAYS feel offended when I'm told to turn down...

Gratified when told to turn up...

But I do it...

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

For me leaving out phantom power (as they did in the JBL EON ONE too!) is an amazing oversight! 

Nearly a deal breaker if I didn't already have external phantom power units (one A/C one battery powered) and phantom in all of my mixers.

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

The missing features thing is weird to me but again, I'm not well versed enough in electronics to say that a company should have or could have included something. I guess I've come to the conclusion that there must be a good reason things are left off of certain products (or it's a huge conspiracy to get us to buy more gear!) 

Back to the S1 Pro: I used it tonight at my show. This probably wasn't the best test. It was a concert in the park type show on a picture perfect Wisconsin night. I had tons of room to set up and I'm sure I could have heard myself just fine without the S1 but, I had to try it. 

It was AWESOME! It sounded like I was standing inside an L1. I had my Model 2 about 6' behind me and just a tad off to the side and the S1 Pro in the floor wedge position about 2' in front of me pointing back and the sound on stage was wonderful. 

When I can't hear my vocals well, it distracts me and I'm not as into the performance as I'd like to be. With this set up, I spent most of the first song enjoying how great it sounded on stage and then I didn't think about sound the whole rest of the show. The show was effortless. 

Contrast this with Saturday, when I couldn't hear myself well. I spent most of the show with at least part of my focus devoted to my sound and the voice trouble that was coming as a result. That's not good! 

So the first go-around with the S1 was definitely a positive experience. Tomorrow looks like it will be a better test. I'm supposed to be outside but the forecast is terrible. If that comes true and I'm moved inside, it's a very loud room and I'll be counting on the S1 to hear myself. After tonight I know I'll be better off with it than without!

Matt

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Matt,

Thanks for coming back to tell us about your first time out with the S1 Pro system and the L1®.  I delighted you had an awesome experience.

That's terrific information - how you were setup with the L1 behind and the S1 Pro in front, and the distances.

I'm looking forward to hearing about tomorrow.

Cheers!

ST

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

On the subject of missing features I am still amazed that any manufacturer doesn't include phantom power.  Phantom powered microphones are becoming ubiquitous and I don't know of a mixer manufacturer who would leave it out. 

So I join you in experiencing great curiosity about why it was left out of (at least one channel of) the S1 and the was omitted from the near perfect JBL EON ONE...