cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Re: S1 Pro as a Monitor w/Model 2 or Compact?

Last night I played a place that has always been a huge challenge for me with an L1 system. It's a 10' x 10' stage covered by an EZ Up tent. The stage sits out in the lawn of a very busy bar/restaurant. 

Closest to the stage is a fire pit surrounded by Adirondack chairs. That is a bit off to my right as I'm looking out from the stage. To my left is a bunch of yard games: bean bag toss, the golf ball ladder game, huge Jenga, etc. This is where people hang out while they are waiting for their table or after they are done eating.

Then maybe 30' or so from the stage is a large covered patio full of tables. This patio is surrounded by a half wall and all the way on the other side of the patio is the bar. The challenge is that they want the people sitting at the bar to be able to hear the music. 

In the past I would really struggle with where to put the L1 (Model 2.) Not anymore!

I put the L1 just off the stage to my right so I was a tad behind it. I put the S1 at the corner of the stage in the floor wedge position and enjoyed exactly the mix (and the volume) that I wanted to hear while the L1 did the heavy lifting to cover the whole area. It was perfect. I sang 3 hours straight through with no vocal fatigue and no worry of hearing damage.

I thought about this as I was playing last night: for the first time maybe ever I am completely happy with my setup in every regard, my guitar, the pickup, my vocal mic AND now the way I can hear and enjoy all of those things while I play!

I'm touring in a Toyota Prius with 3 different sound systems! That's pretty cool. Thanks Bose!

Matt

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Wow, that gig context did sound challenging. So glad that combo of the L1 and S1 worked out so well for you. Safe travels during your tour.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the gig report. I hear from your description, you're entertaining folks in three different settings/states of mind at different distances.  That's a challenge well met by a L1 Model II. Add a fourth audience (you as performer with the most critical need), and that's going to be tough. I'm happy to hear the S1 Pro came through for you. Voice fatige and ringing ears are no fit reward for hours of performance.   

May the road treat you well, Matt.

ST

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Thanks guys! 
I'll try to take some pictures when I'm back there again tonight. (And then ask how to post pictures!)

It's a great spot but one of the more challenging places I play from a logistical standpoint. Not having to rely on the L1 Model 2 as my monitor makes what was challenging, much easier and as a result, much more enjoyable. 

Matt