Participant
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

DavidE2 posted:
ST posted:

Hi Everybody,

Here's the latest update from Bose.

We have an update regarding the battery drain issue. Although we are still working on implementing a sustainable fix, we have encountered a delay in the repair process.

If you are experiencing this issue, please refrain from setting up service at this time. Until this is resolved, we recommend charging your S1 fully before each use. Once we have an update regarding the repair turnaround time, we will share it with the community.

ST

Man, 6 months.   Shaking my head.  

Shaking my head too. Almost feels like Bose spend 5 mins talking about this problem once a month before moving on to other issues. It is almost a year since this issue was first reported (judging from reading this thread) Really not good enough at all...

Yendor
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

I have with the same result. I was advised to try the reset because my other S1's charge light wouldn't go off after charging all night. It corrected itself after being on and streaming bluetooth for a while, and the app showed battery @ 97%. Back on charge, light off, but it took 3 hours from 97%? My second S1 has the off battery drain issue. I contacted the retailer, and their return policy is within 30 days. I'm at 30 days next week. They replied "Hey,
Sorry for the delay. If you are having battery issues please give bose warranty a call and they help you switch it out for a fresh unit. Let me know what happens after."
Right. Obviously there is an issue. So the retailer won't take it back, even within the 30 day period, and Bose doesn't have a fix? Come on Bose, we have faith in you to settle these issues, and ST has been very responsive and informative, but here we are.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Yendor,

Yendor posted:

I have with the same result. I was advised to try the reset because my other S1's charge light wouldn't go off after charging all night. It corrected itself after being on and streaming bluetooth for a while, and the app showed battery @ 97%. Back on charge, light off, but it took 3 hours from 97%?

That may not be a fault. The charging slows as it approaches 100%. If it never reaches 100% then there's a problem with the battery. Bose Support can help you with that.

My second S1 has the off battery drain issue. I contacted the retailer, and their return policy is within 30 days. I'm at 30 days next week. They replied "Hey,
Sorry for the delay. If you are having battery issues please give bose warranty a call and they help you switch it out for a fresh unit. Let me know what happens after."

The information you received from the retailer is incorrect.

Right. Obviously there is an issue. So the retailer won't take it back, even within the 30 day period, and Bose doesn't have a fix? Come on Bose, we have faith in you to settle these issues, and ST has been very responsive and informative, but here we are.

Please contact the retailer again. If you're within the 30 day return period, please return it for an exchange.

Thanks,

ST

Yendor
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

ST, thanks. I am referring to both my S1's. One had an issue getting to 100 % the other the off discharge issue. I will contact the retailer again.

Sam_Spoons
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I exchanged my first S1 Pro and the new one is behaving better than the first but today the battery is down to 90% so it still has the issue, just less dramatically than the first. My inclination is to return it for a refund and wait until the problem is solved before buying another but it is a useful little thing so not entirely sure yet.

Sam_Spoons
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I've tried again with the battery issue and, after only two or three days, it is back down to 90% implying it will not have enough battery left after a week to play a gig. The app is also trying to get me to update the firmware but I'm concerned that this might make the issue worse (my first S1 had the current f/w installed). 

It's all very well saying "we are working on finding a solution" but the last comment WRT this matter was in July that's 3 months and counting. Back in March ST said "Bose has determined the cause of the issue and will now be repairing affected units under warranty." but my dealer denied knowledge of the issue.

Can ST or somebody from Bose give us an update to confirm whether they have a solution or not as I have only a few days to return my S1 for a refund?

Michael M
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Sam Spoons posted:

I've tried again with the battery issue and, after only two or three days, it is back down to 90% implying it will not have enough battery left after a week to play a gig. The app is also trying to get me to update the firmware but I'm concerned that this might make the issue worse (my first S1 had the current f/w installed). 

It's all very well saying "we are working on finding a solution" but the last comment WRT this matter was in July that's 3 months and counting. Back in March ST said "Bose has determined the cause of the issue and will now be repairing affected units under warranty." but my dealer denied knowledge of the issue.

Can ST or somebody from Bose give us an update to confirm whether they have a solution or not as I have only a few days to return my S1 for a refund?

Sam, are you saying you don't want to keep the S1 Pro if you have to check on the charge regularly? While it's not ideal, the recommended procedure for S1 Pro owners is to charge them fully and then check them on a regular basis, particularly when you will be using them shortly. For me, I charge them (I have two) to 100% after each use and check them every two weeks if I haven't used them. (I am a full-time magician but many of my shows do not require a PA system.) The day before a show, I check the charge to make sure I'll be good to go.

I know this doesn't work for everyone. Bose has not publicly stated when the repairs will begin so I'm not counting on it soon.

Sam_Spoons
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I need it to be good to go even after a few days since last charge. I go away for several weeks in the summer and it is not convenient to leave a relatively bulky device on charge ready for an impromptu session.

Michael M
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Sam Spoons posted:

I need it to be good to go even after a few days since last charge. I go away for several weeks in the summer and it is not convenient to leave a relatively bulky device on charge ready for an impromptu session.

I can see where that would be a big issue. I don't have a good solution for that.

Yendor
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

Sam Spoons posted:

Does your S1 charge fully, and the pulsing blue light shut off? I have updated the firmware. My S1 won't finish charging. I thought it had rectified itself, but next cycle it's back. Before I turned it on, ran some BT through it, shut off charged and it turned off. Not this time. I pulled the battery to do a reset, tried again, the same thing. I run a 12 volt battery pack to my mixer, so I got to charge that anyway before a gig. I do enjoy the speaker, don't plan to get rid of it, but sure wish these issues were solved.