DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

One of my two S1 units was shipped back to me today.  Fast turnaround.  I hope the other isn't far behind.  I'll report when it arrives.

I should note that I live in Columbus, Ohio, so the repair facility isn't that far from me.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

How long ago did you send it back? and are you in the US or UK or where on the world?

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

I sent them in the day of The announcement, December 9.  The rest of the information is original post.  

i live in Columbus, Ohio USA.  

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks David for the update.  I sent one of mine in on Dec 9 as well. Hopefully it will be a fast turnaround too.  (I kept my second one to send later since I need at least one for upcoming gigs).  I'll let everyone know when I receive it.

Also, it will be interesting to hear back from you if you feel the "fix" improves the battery life.  Of course, if all goes well here, we might not hear back from you for a while. ha ha.

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

One of the two units I sent in on the 9th was just delivered.   I reinstalled the battery and am letting it charge.   My fingers are crossed.   I’ll use it at a 1 hour gig tomorrow.  

no word on the second S1.  

this one was shipped back to me in the factory original box, but not the outer box I put this in.  

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks for the update David.  Since yours appears to be first unit returned, it may prove to be our benchmark unit for the new fix. We're all interested in seeing how it works out for you.  Thanks for keeping us abreast.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Well, mine was returned, via the dealer and the local rep, on 27/11/19 but is still not back (delay waiting for the rep to collect.....). Could do with it on New Years Eve but will manage without if it doesn't materialise.......

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

So far so good!  But I'm surprised my second still hasn't shipped since it arrived at the same time as my first.....

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

djharryg posted:

If there was truly a fix, there would be a detailed explanation of what the problem is. And how it was resolved.  

This is clearly wrong.  Bose is never going to disclose what the problem was and what they did to fix it.  It's just not in their interest.  And why should they as long as they're fixing them at their expense?  They're fixing it and based on the one I got back so far, it's working.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

When I exchanged my first S1 Pro I thought the replacement had not got the issue when after 1 week it had not fallen below 90% (i.e. was still registering 100% on the app). two days later is registered 90% and two days after that 80%. The dates and battery readings below.

Fully charged 6 p.m. Friday 18/10/19

100% Friday 01/11/19 (Still showing 100% after 10 days)

90% Monday 04/11/19

80% Wed 06/11/19

70% Friday 08/11/19 4:30 p.m.

60% Saturday 09/11/19 9:30 p.m.

50% Sunday 10/11/19 6:30 p.m.

40% Monday 11/11/19 6:30 p.m.

Switched on for around 60 seconds for each test.

So after three weeks it had drained 60% of the charge from the battery. A Li-Ion battery system should lose charge at between 2% and 3% a month this includes the small amount of power consumed by the charge state monitoring circuitry and the cells actual self discharge. 

The point being that you will need to fully charge your newly repaired S1 Pro then leave it unused for at least two weeks, and to be sure considerably longer, especially bearing in mind the battery monitoring will put it into sleep mode after 30 days needing plugging it into the mains (for 30 secs?) to re-awaken it.