sparkysings
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 31, 2018

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

I have 2-S1 Pros. I sent 1 away Dec 10 when it was determined Bose had a fix for the battery drain issue. I used it several times when it returned and Dec 28, charged it to 100%. As of today, Jan 2, or 5 days later, it is at 90%.

This is not a deal breaker, as I use them so much, I ensure they are always charged, or I just plug in at the gig. What is disappointing, is that it appears Bose still does not have a solution after all this controversy.

I will continue to test the unit as well as the 2nd one I sent, when it returns and would like to hear other members experience.

Archtop_Eddy
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks Sparkysings for the update on your fixed S1Pro.  I look forward to hearing how it holds up during your testing.

ST -- Thanks for the direct message.  I sent you a response a few moments ago.

DavidE2
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2006

My second one arrived gone last night.  I’ll be home by February 15 and will begin testing after that.  

I’m surprised this thread is so quiet.  Maybe people are just starting to get theirs back from Bose if they sent them in quickly. I’m hoping we see some reports of real fixes. 

Michael M
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

DavidE2 posted:

... I’m surprised this thread is so quiet.  Maybe people are just starting to get theirs back from Bose if they sent them in quickly. I’m hoping we see some reports of real fixes. 

I'm taking a cautious approach to sending mine back. I want to see if the repair makes a significant difference for others before I do anything. Although I would love for the battery to hold a charge for months, I'm comfortable with my current routine of regular checking and charging my two S1 Pros.

DavidE2
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2006

I think that’s smart.  I’m concerned the “fix” isn’t a real fix and I shouldn’t have sent my first one back a second time yet...

KingBiscuit
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 16, 2015

I'm holding off on sending either of mine back too.  At this point, the problem, while present in my S1s, has not presented itself as a problem to me personally so I may never send them in for "repair".

Archtop_Eddy
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

UPDATE on Post-Fix battery status:

Dec 23, at 100 percent.

Dec 29, at 80 percent.

Jan 1, at 70 percent

Jan 4, at 60 percent.

(Approx. 40 percent drainage after 12 days.)

NOTE: I put this data up to share my results and not as a judgment on the effectiveness of the battery fix.  For me, the fix is an improvement over previous performance when I was loosing 75 to 100 percent of my charge in 4-7 days. Your expectations and mileage may vary.

Sam_Spoons
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I think, Eddy, that it's fair to say yours is not 'fixed', my second S1 lost about the same from new (though much less in the first week) and that is the one that is back with Bose at the moment. I've said before that there is no reason why a Li-Ion battery system should lose more than 3% a month due to self-discharge and system monitoring hardware when lying unused.

Dj_Verrett
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

I got mine back from repair on 12/26 just checked them today and one has 3 flashes and the other has 4 flashes. The whole repair took about 2weeks from the date I shipped them and received them back. 
Thank you Bose!

ChetDude
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

This all sounds to me more like a hardware design flaw than a software "fix".

I'm grateful that I can keep mine plugged into my grid-tied solar panels all of the time and don't travel with them except to and from the gigs.

That's the way it's been done since I got them right after they came on the market.

Great 5 hour gig (plugged in) yesterday...