ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

Hi, MRDL.

MRDLC posted:

Update: Not sure if any of you have gotten this firmware 7.1.5

Product Update for the S1 from the Bose app (on my iPhone).

ST: Wondering if this is related to the battery drainage?

The firmware version 7.1.5 release notes say:

• Supports power-saving features
  • Optimizes battery performance
  • Enhanced security for Bluetooth connection

These changes to do not resolve the battery drain issue that we are discussing in this thread. As I mentioned in my post above, I should have more information about the repair process soon.

If you use the Bose Connect app, it will download the firmware update and notify you when it is ready to update your S1 Pro.  It's much faster if you use a computer to connect to the Bose site and do the update with a Bluetooth cable. Please see the link below for details.

S1 Pro System Updates

ST

MRDLC
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Hey folks,

just and update on me regarding my battery drainage. 

Note: I did plug in the unit to download the new firmware 7.1.5 a couple of days ago, but I made sure to leave it at 80% by the end of the night, so as to continue monitoring battery drainage from the time I started on Thurs. January 2nd 2020. Here are my updated stats (including post firmware update):

Thurs. Jan. 2 - 100%
Friday Jan. 3 - 90%
Sunday Jan. 5 - 80%
Wednesday Jan. 8th - 70%

Looks like drainage is happening still. Have been reading on the site and it seems like there hasn’t been a guaranteed fix for this. Is it possible that the claims of battery life spanning a 5-6 months are not true, ST? (As much as it is disappointing, I’d much rather have the truth and a runabout where I’ll be bringing in the unit for repair, only to be disappointed with the same quality of product). 

Any updates about a proven and guaranteed fix, ST?

Thanks in advance for all your input and help regarding this matter.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

That's not encouraging. I picked mine up yesterday and fully charged it before switching off at around 9 p.m. (it was completely dead after unboxing it). I will leave it until tomorrow evening then check it for the minimum switch on time and repeat every couple of days until I have an idea if it is performing better than before I returned it. If it's still reading 100% a week on Tuesday (after 14 days) I'll probably leave it another couple of weeks. If it's truly fixed it should not fall below 90% in less than 90 days.

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Someone from Bose in England called me today twice.  It sounds like they did identify the bad parts and there were issues with the early repairs on mine. At his suggestion I’m going to have my wide send the one back that was returned in January 3 without testing because they think it wasn’t fixed right. That way I’ll have both back and fixed basis I get home in February.  

I will say that I not feel confident that they had save this under control.  I hope they prove me right. Unfortunately it means done of us who jumped in this will be inconvenienced more than others.  

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks David for your input. I too had a similar experience with an English Bose rep today.  Apparently, my unit was repaired with a faulty part and they're working with me to correct the problem.  I await further correspondence with them, but at this point I'm satisfied that Bose is working with me to resolve my S1Pro issues.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi MRDLC,

You've established that your S1 Pro needs to be repaired. Further testing isn't necessary.  It needs to go to Bose to be repaired.

As you can tell from reading the reports from DavidE2 and Archtop Eddy above, Bose has tracked down the problems with the faulty repair process they experienced.  Bose is working individually with others who may have similar problems.

I know I haven't addressed all your questions. I hope to have more to say in a day or two.

To all:

Please note: This issue does not affect the battery life while you are using your system. The battery drain only happens when the S1 Pro system is off and not connected to AC power. 

ST

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Faulty components are extremely rare, that two or more 'repaired' S1's still have the problem is highly unlikely to be purely down to faulty components.

Surely the techs have a means of measuring the current draw on the battery with sufficient accuracy to know if the device still has the issue* meaning we don't have to leave our newly 'repaired' S1 Pros unused for two or three weeks to check?

ST? Are currently manufactured S1 Pro's guaranteed to be free from the issue (I hope to buy a second but am reluctant to do so until the battery drain issue is definitely solved)?

* I know it will only be a few mA but my 30 year old Avo DVM can measure a resolution of 1 mA or less.......

KingBiscuit
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 16, 2015

ST posted:

Pease note: This issue does not affect the battery life while you are using your system. The battery drain only happens when the S1 Pro system is off and not connected to AC power. 

ST

ST is absolutely correct.  Yesterday, I got a last minute call to cover a noon to 3 gig for a friend and then a 6 to 10 open mic.  My rig is a T4S mixing vocal and guitar to 2 S1 Pros.   I went directly from the first gig to the second.  At both gigs, it was easier to run one of the S1s on battery than to run an extension cord so that's how I did it, taking turns on the one running on battery.    Both ran fine for the entire time, no issues at all.  That's 3 hours at gig level on one and 4 hours on the other.

At the first gig, a solo piano player was setting up in their "big" room for a gig later in the evening.   He had the typical 15" speaker/sub rig.   He came over and listened to me for a bit and said he was amazed how good those "tiny" speakers sounded and how he'd love that portability.  

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Sam Spoons posted:

Faulty components are extremely rare, that two or more 'repaired' S1's still have the problem is highly unlikely to be purely down to faulty components.

Surely the techs have a means of measuring the current draw on the battery with sufficient accuracy to know if the device still has the issue* meaning we don't have to leave our newly 'repaired' S1 Pros unused for two or three weeks to check?

ST? Are currently manufactured S1 Pro's guaranteed to be free from the issue (I hope to buy a second but am reluctant to do so until the battery drain issue is definitely solved)?

* I know it will only be a few mA but my 30 year old Avo DVM can measure a resolution of 1 mA or less.......

My sense was that they screwed up and didn't put in the new components.  An issue at the repair facility, at least in Indiana, now corrected.  I did ask about new ones and the ones being made now have the corrected component.  But if you buy one in a store could be old stock and have the old component.  I didn't ask them if there was a way to tell.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I know that my dealer had sold out and was waiting for new stock to arrive at the UK importer. When I took mine back he'd got a couple of 'the latest batch'*. Whether that 'new' stock has been hanging around the system for a couple of months I can't tell but IIRC the app does show a date of manufacture which would be helpful. 

* I asked if he could charge one up and leave it in the stock room for a couple of weeks but he said they would be sold well before that.....