Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

So there you have it, how can both be true? Sam Spoons and I both outlined that these types of batteries, if/when fully discharging and remaining that way, over time, this is a problem that can result in damaged/degraded battery. Yet, I've seen several threads from ST about how it's perfectly fine for the battery discharge and this whole drain issue is really not that big of a deal, bc the the battery is still fine once you give it a full charge.  At least that's what I saw him say in the past. Has ST come to accept that the drain issue does possibly harm/degrade the battery? 

2nd, I'm about to send mine back for "repair", but I assume this is an exercise in futility, seeing as how the replies here lately indicate that "fixed" units aren't fixed at all, as they still have the problem.  Is Bose just trying to sweep this issue under the carpet? Hoping we eventually give up on a solution and just accept that we got a product with a flawed design/build?

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 29, 2019

I have my return label from Bose for the “fix”. I haven’t had a problem yet because if I’m not using it for more than a week or two I simply remove the battery (this does work). Now I am wondering if should wait until someone who has had it returned posts here with positive results? 

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Hi 7stringjazz

I am going to wait until someone has had a proper fix, priven by testing the drainage rate.

I think this is a wise move.

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I've just finished a long conversation with the UK customer service dept and they will be taking my S1 back for another go at a fix. I have had an assurance that should it not be successful they will honour the full refund offer my dealer has made (despite this going on for considerably longer than their 30 day return period). FWIW in the UK the warrantee is with the retailer not the manufacturer so I shall be informing the dealer tomorrow. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 29, 2019

Bose was very good about sending a FedEx label immediately for a return. However I think I will wait and see how everyone else’s worked out. Thanks to those of you who are keeping us posted.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Ditto! 

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Mine is still reporting 90% (so somewhere between 80% and 90%. I'm beginning to suspect it hadn't fully charged despite having it on charge for several hours and it showing 100% both on the app and four flashes of the LED on switch on.

Will probably have to send it back early next week.

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 28, 2015

Just bought 2 S1’s today but haven’t received them yet. I just finished reading this entire thread. Quite a read I must say.
I was looking at the S1’s two years ago but went with an Electro-Voice Evolve 50 which I still really like. I bought it to replace an L1 model 1 classic and 2 B-1’s which I can’t seem to get myself to sell. (Use them both for stereo fed off the EV50) The Bose is bright, crisp, and airy contrasted to the bass and mids from the EV.

I’m really looking forward to these lighter S1’s and wonder if the S1’s can be run on cord power while the batteries are removed, figuring I would store the batteries until the venue called for them.

I understand and agree that the batteries shouldn’t discharge when the power is off. I also wish they would tell us what the issue is or was. Bose makes good equipment, things happen. What could it hurt to disclose their fix. I believe it would help with customer confidence.

I’ve worked equitably with Bose for issues with repairs for the L1 and trust they’ll figure out and fix/compensate these issues with the S1’s. It sure seems like it’s been a while though.

When I get mine I’ll check the manufacture date, test the charge retention and post what I see.

Don Kurz
Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 3, 2018

Don, I usually use my L1B2 setup, but occasionally we (acoustic bass, 2 guitars, percussionist, all of whom sing...plus a T1 and/or a Soundcraft 8-channel board) use two S1s, and maybe another one as a monitor. I charge the S1s up the night before and have had no problem over the past two years, as they easily last through our normal three, 50-minute per set gigs. You mileage may vary! Good luck.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 22, 2019

My S1 Pro battery drains in two weeks if not recharged. Not a big deal for me yet as I play where there is power. I guarantee though that this issue, not fixed, will cause those who play where power is not available to look elsewhere. I did play a couple of outdoor parties last summer, and rather than haul out a hundred foot extension cord, used a little, very quiet, 750 watt generator. The S1 sounds too good for me not to use, regardless of the battery, though I hope they figure it out. I suspect it is a battery issue.