Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

Sam Spoons posted:

The only way to be sure is to fully charge it and leave it until the charge has dropped enough to register a drop in the app (so down to 90% or better still 80%, mine took 10 days to fall to 80%.

Sam, you mention that your unit dropped to 80% in ten days.  Were you using firmware 7.1.5 or higher when this drop occurred?

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Couldn't tell you, I assumed, as it had just come back from Bose they would have installed the current FW so didn't think to check.

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Sam Spoons posted:

Couldn't tell you, I assumed, as it had just come back from Bose they would have installed the current FW so didn't think to check.

I kinda thought the same thing but was surprised when I checked. It turned out that Bose didn't upgrade the firmware when they returned my S1Pros back to me. In both cases, I had to install the new firmware myself.  After I did, both units vasty improved in maintaining their battery levels.

If you ran your test with the old firmware, I think it would have skewed your results.  I know in my case it did.  With the old firmware my first S1Pro was down to 40% after 16 days; with the new firmware installed, the same unit with no further maintenance or repairs maintained 100% after the same 16 day period. The only difference was the firmware.

I hope to continue testing my units for two more week and see how the batteries hold up -- but even now after 16 days, it's a significant improvement over previous drainage levels.

I guess it goes without saying but I recommend you try installing the latest firmware and see if you get similar improvements.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Mine is away for it's second fix, the first 'repair' made things significantly worse (and I don't know whether they had updated the FW). I will check when it comes back but ST has stated that the FW update has no effect on the battery drain issue.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Sam Spoons.

Sam Spoons posted:

Mine is away for it's second fix, the first 'repair' made things significantly worse (and I don't know whether they had updated the FW). I will check when it comes back but ST has stated that the FW update has no effect on the battery drain issue.

Please see the highlighted section below.

Hi, MRDL.

MRDLC posted:

Update: Not sure if any of you have gotten this firmware 7.1.5

Product Update for the S1 from the Bose app (on my iPhone).

ST: Wondering if this is related to the battery drainage?

The firmware version 7.1.5 release notes say:

• Supports power-saving features
  • Optimizes battery performance
  • Enhanced security for Bluetooth connection

These changes to do not resolve the battery drain issue that we are discussing in this thread. As I mentioned in my post above, I should have more information about the repair process soon.

If you use the Bose Connect app, it will download the firmware update and notify you when it is ready to update your S1 Pro.  It's much faster if you use a computer to connect to the Bose site and do the update with a Bluetooth cable. Please see the link below for details.

S1 Pro System Updates

ST

To All:

Bose recommends you update your S1 Pro with the latest firmware (at the time of writing that's version 7.1.5). See S1 Pro System Updates. If you update from a previous version, you will probably see an improvement in battery performance. 

If you have installed the latest firmware and still have concerns about your S1 Pro, please contact Bose Support.

Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673
(U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Other regions

Thanks,

ST

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Thanks ST, that was the post I was referring to. 

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Sam Spoons posted:

ST didn't say the FW update has "no effect" on the battery drain issue. He said it would not resolve the battery drain issue.  If your unit truly has a problem it needs to be sent back to Bose. However, this does not negate the advantages of the new firmware. As ST further stated, the FW update would "support power-saving features", and "optimize battery performance" -- both firmware improvements core to the issues with battery drainage. My experience with my two S1Pro units and MRDLC's experience with his, seems to indicate that new firmware provides battery-drainage improvements.  I'm glad to hear you will check your firmware when you receive it back, because fixing your unit with Bose and then still using the outdated firmware will not have the same positive results.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Yeah, Not suggestion that the update is not a good idea just that on it's own  it will not solve the battery drain issue. TBH the times I've used the S1 in earnest it's performance has been fine, I'm not convinced the mooted improvements can have anything to do with improving 'the issue' which I think is quite separate but we'll see, if you're finding an improvement that can only bode well.

John_Ronna
Collaborator
Registered since

May 26, 2018

Somebody freakn' shoot me.  Where can I find, in this sea of comments, what is causing the battery drain issue, if known, and if so, what is the fix, physical and / or firmware, if any.  Please point me there.  Thanks, John.  Also, thanks to ST for being in the middle of this s storm.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

John Ronna posted:

Somebody freakn' shoot me.  Where can I find, in this sea of comments, what is causing the battery drain issue, if known, and if so, what is the fix, physical and / or firmware, if any.  Please point me there.  Thanks, John.  Also, thanks to ST for being in the middle of this s storm.

Something in the S1 Pro is drawing a small current from the battery while switched off (or in standby/idle mode). The fault is in the S1 not the battery (removed from the speaker the battery will hold it's charge for many months as it should). It does not affect the S1 while in use, battery life is as it should be, only while in 'standby' and if you charge your S1 relatively frequently you will probably never know if it has 'the issue'.