Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

John Ronna posted:

Somebody freakn' shoot me.  Where can I find, in this sea of comments, what is causing the battery drain issue, if known, and if so, what is the fix, physical and / or firmware, if any.  Please point me there.  Thanks, John.  Also, thanks to ST for being in the middle of this s storm.

The issue is with a piece of the hardware.  You have to send it to Bose for a physical repair.  They cover shipping and the repair.   

Call Bose and they’ll take care of you.

Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673
(U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Other regions

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

DavidE2 posted:
John Ronna posted:

Somebody freakn' shoot me.  Where can I find, in this sea of comments, what is causing the battery drain issue, if known, and if so, what is the fix, physical and / or firmware, if any.  Please point me there.  Thanks, John.  Also, thanks to ST for being in the middle of this s storm.

The issue is with a piece of the hardware.  You have to send it to Bose for a physical repair.  They cover shipping and the repair.   

Call Bose and they’ll take care of you.

(U.S. and Canada only)
Other regions

Bear in mind they haven't been successful in many cases, mine came back with a worse issue then before I sent it back.

John_Ronna
Collaborator
Registered since

May 26, 2018

Thanks, but is this a formal Bose response, or from a forum member (not to dis your knowledge)?  No mention who it is from. 

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Bose have acknowledged there is a problem/fault, then they took nearly 12 months to find a 'fix'. Some of us sent our S1 Pros in for 'repair' when Bose said they had a 'fix', mine came back worse than it was when it went in.

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

John Ronna posted:

Thanks, but is this a formal Bose response, or from a forum member (not to dis your knowledge)?  No mention who it is from. 

A forum member who has been through this.  And had to send them back twice because they didn’t replace the hardware in one and they put the old parts in the second one.   Looks like the second one shipped today.  

I’m just repeating what ST posted somewhere above plus the details of what I learned from speaking with someone from Bose England when they botched the first round of repairs.   

So I’m passing along the official Bose answer.   If that’s not good enough, search ST’s posts.  

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, John Ronna.

posted:

Here's a summary of what has happened.

A very few customers have reported an issue that might be hardware related.  It took longer than anyone wanted to diagnose and to develop a repair procedure for that issue.

When Bose announced they were ready to repair the units with the issue in December, some of the first people sent their units in to be repaired, and the issue was not diagnosed correctly. Unfortunately, the appropriate repair was not done. Bose Support is working with those people individually now.

In the meantime, Bose released firmware version 7.1.5 (January 6, 2020).  This was just after the first few repairs were done (in December). The latest firmware wasn't available yet, so it wasn't installed in those repaired units.  That further clouded the issue.

The firmware version 7.1.5 release notes say:

• Supports power-saving features
  • Optimizes battery performance
  • Enhanced security for Bluetooth connection

The first two items provide better battery performance however, they do not address the hardware issue I mentioned above.

Here's the latest from Bose.

The S1 Pro uses a lithium-ion battery. Individual battery performance will vary due to battery age, storage conditions, and the number of charge cycles.

Bose does not guarantee how long a lithium-ion battery will retain its charge. However, we expect a fully charged battery in a new S1 Pro system will last 30 days with the power switch in the “Standby” (?) position if the system is using Firmware 7.1.5[1] or later.

After 30 days of non-use, the battery will enter Sleep Mode. Bose recommends that you wake up[2] the battery and fully charge it at least once a year. If you leave it in Sleep Mode for longer than a year, the battery may completely discharge and become unusable.

1. Bose recommends that you update your firmware to the latest version for the best performance. See S1 Pro Firmware Update for details.

2. To wake up the battery from Sleep Mode, plug your S1 Pro into a power outlet and turn the power switch to the “On” (?) position. See S1 Pro Battery Sleep Mode for details.

Source: S1 Pro Battery Life

If you have concerns about your S1 Pro, please contact Bose Support directly.  They will work with you to diagnose and solve the problem you are experiencing.

(U.S. and Canada only)
Other regions

I'm sorry for all the confusion.  I hope that was helpful.

ST

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Thanks again ST for a considerate reply. I have PM'd you.

John_Ronna
Collaborator
Registered since

May 26, 2018

Thanks so much for going through this, again.  John.

John_Ronna
Collaborator
Registered since

May 26, 2018

DavidE2 posted:
John Ronna posted:

A forum member who has been through this.  And had to send them back twice because they didn’t replace the hardware in one and they put the old parts in the second one.   Looks like the second one shipped today.  

I’m just repeating what ST posted somewhere above plus the details of what I learned from speaking with someone from Bose England when they botched the first round of repairs.   

So I’m passing along the official Bose answer.   If that’s not good enough, search ST’s posts.  

Thanks David.  I appreciate your experience and insight.  John.

Sam_Spoons
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

ST posted:

A very few customers have reported an issue that might be hardware related.  It took longer than anyone wanted to diagnose and to develop a repair procedure for that issue.

When Bose announced they were ready to repair the units with the issue in December, some of the first people sent their units in to be repaired, and the issue was not diagnosed correctly. Unfortunately, the appropriate repair was not done. Bose Support is working with those people individually now.

ST

I've heard said that the return rate was 10%.