Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

I don't think we can know how many users have the issue -- it may be 10 or it may be 100 percent.  However, unless people are reporting results from using the upgraded firmware, those results may be suspect.

So I ask...

Has anyone here upgraded their firmware -- but still experienced significant (or any) battery drainage?

Please if you have, speak up, this is important to know.

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Aaron D posted:

Sorry ST, I know you are trying to be helpful and you've replied to a ton of people trying to assist, but not sure where you are coming from with your recent comments. The Bose S1 Pro is literally proven to be a defective piece of equipment. Not SOME of the S1 Pro's. ALL OF THEM.  Literally EVERYBODY who has bought one since it was released in 2018, has the battery drain issue.  Whether or not they REALIZE that they have the issue, OK sure, many probably have no idea that they have a defective piece of equipment. Maybe they use it 5 times per week, and as such, are constantly charging the device, so they will never know the issue exists.  So when you say "significantly less than 10%" of S1 Pro owners have REPORTED the issue, OK fine I believe that.  But 100% (or close to it) of S1 Pro owners HAVE the battery drain issue, it's just that many of them don't know they have the issue, or the know about it but aren't concerned enough to call Bose (which was me for like the first 5 months of ownership).

I don’t whether that’s true either.  I believe there are people here who tested their units and found that some did not have the battery drain issue.  It could ha e been a batch of bad parts or something else.   Only Bose knows whether there are any absolutes at this point.  

if yours has the issue, contact Bose and get it fixed. 

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Archtop Eddy posted:

I don't think we can know how many users have the issue -- it may be 10 or it may be 100 percent.  However, unless people are reporting results from using the upgraded firmware, those results may be suspect.

So I ask...

Has anyone here upgraded their firmware -- but still experienced significant (or any) battery drainage?

Please if you have, speak up, this is important to know.

By the way, I don't say these things lightly.  I sent both my units in for the "fix" but it wasn't until I upgraded the firmware did I see improvements in the battery drainage issue.

The best results I had prior to upgrading my firmware was battery power down to 30 percent after 18 days.

Since upgrading my firmware, as of today I have 100 percent battery power after 21 days (3 weeks).

I attribute this improvement strictly to upgrading my firmware to 7.1.5.

invisibleDJ
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 5, 2010

Aaron D...

You are actually incorrect. From a marketing & use standpoint, Bose made ZERO mention of “battery life while unused”.

In every way, the S1 Pro has performed flawlessly (just as advertised).  Because a few people (literally less than could be counted on one hand) wished to go long periods, after charging, between uses so they discovered this draining issue. 

I have a unit that does not exhibit the draining issue (yes, I have tested it a half dozen times).  However, I did not/do not need the unit to sit in a storage space for any long period of time so this “problem” is not a problem to me. In fact most, if not all, of my peers will regularly get all of their battery-powered gear and charge them the day before (or the morning of) a show. We use our equipment regularly enough where this would NEVER be a problem for us.

Also, the quick charge feature will charge from zero to full charge in 4 hours.

Therefore there is NOTHING that the S1 Pro was advertised to do that it is not doing.

We are fortunate that Bose is going “extra mile” to try to make fewer than 40 (my count of everyone on this forum) customers even more satisfied by working to make these units do something that they never were purported to do.

Respectfully...

Lawdy
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 22, 2019

I, truthfully, am not concerned about the battery issue. If I play out where power is nonexistent, I charge first to be safe. Since it is always plugged in in my studio, I am always all set. I would use it regardless of the battery, because it sounds too good. The only time I needed battery power was using it at an outdoor funeral I played for. Worked great.

Yendor
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

I guess I must chime in that I have an S1 that does not have the discharge issue. I do charge my equipment the day of, or before a gig but I have tried to keep a close eye on the S1 and I can say it has sat following a 2 hour gig, and three weeks later, the battery still maintained the same charge. That's the max time the speaker has sat. I will say I purchased a second S1 that did have the issue and returned it being before the "fix" was in. I do need another battery unit, have considered the JBL Compact, but have decided to get another S1, but truly dragging my feet as an S2 sure would be nice.
(App-controlled, phantom, another input, easier battery swap, etc.)
What, a guy can dream.

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

My two units were initially dropping from full charge to the red in 4 days. I left them once for 10 or 11 days and they were stone cold dead.

I think it's reasonable to expect better performance than this  -- and apparently Bose does too since they are addressing this issue as a problem (not just going the extra mile...)

BTW, I think Bose is doing a fantastic job trying to corrected this. They are taking back units to fix them as necessary, and have provided an improved firmware to support power-saving features and optimizing battery performance.

If we are concerned about this problem, it is up to each of us to do our part: Install the new firmware and see if the issues improve; if not contact Bose and arrange to return the unit for fix. If on the other hand, you don't care about this problem. No sweat -- just don't do anything.

As noted above, I've sent mine in for the fixes, installed the new firmware and noticed a significant improvement in my battery performance (still at 100 percent after 3 weeks).

If it wasn't for discussion about this issue for the last 479 days, it may not have been identified. And whether you need "only" battery power (like I do) or "no" battery power, this discussion has helped lead to maximizing the performance of the S1Pro system. This is good for both Bose and the users.

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Archtop Eddy posted:

I think it's reasonable to expect better performance than this  -- and apparently Bose does too since they are addressing this issue as a problem (not just going the extra mile...)

BTW, I think Bose is doing a fantastic job trying to corrected this. They are taking back units to fix them as necessary, and have provided an improved firmware to support power-saving features and optimizing battery performance.

If we are concerned about this problem, it is up to each of us to do our part: Install the new firmware and see if the issues improve; if not contact Bose and arrange to return the unit for fix. If on the other hand, you don't care about this problem. No sweat -- just don't do anything.

agreed. 

Surround1
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

Oldghm posted:

If this was a design issue, we could expect all units to have the same problem. 

Capacitors, diodes, and integrated circuit chips are components that might allow current leakage if they aren't up to snuff.

I have been unwilling to allow my S1 to sit unused for multiple weeks to determine if it has a problem.

I suggest all owners try to use their S1 more often, then they won't have a chance to discharge in a surprising manner.

O..

It is nonsense. I’m Electronics tech for 35 years. Leaky diodes and capacitors in thousands of units with this problem. Rubbish. Possibly the factory in China changed the design without Boses knowledge. Another pro audio manufacturer told me they had this happen to one of their products where the design was changed to cut corners without their knowledge. Until it showed up with funky problems with a mixing console.

Surround1
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

Sam Spoons posted:

Bose have acknowledged there is a problem/fault, then they took nearly 12 months to find a 'fix'. Some of us sent our S1 Pros in for 'repair' when Bose said they had a 'fix', mine came back worse than it was when it went in.

That is why I’m not sending mine back right now.

Is the service center botching the fix?

If it were firmware no service center would be needed.