Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

Chris M posted:

Hi Eddy,

I got your 1st reply! I read it but see it has now indeed succumbed to the ether!

I have been using my S1 a bit - an hour here, an hour there so my testing isn't going to be spot on. Today, at least 2 weeks since charging, and having used it maybe once for an hour or so in that time, it registered 4 blinks - 80% +/- 

I turned it off after my short session (about an hour) and turned it on again and there were 3 blinks. Roughly 60 % Should have looked on the app for a more accurate reading.

Anyway, will monitor it as best I can and keep you posted.

Have a great evening!

4 blinks is 75%+, three is 50%-74%. But it's pretty much impossible to assess the battery drain issue while intermittently using the S1. Even checking every couple of days for a fortnight my S1's recorded losing 10-20% to being completely dead after 14 days

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Folks,

It looks like it's time to repost this for those who have recently joined the conversation.

Here's the latest from Bose. (Posted January 28, 2020)

The S1 Pro uses a lithium-ion battery. Individual battery performance will vary due to battery age, storage conditions, and the number of charge cycles.

Bose does not guarantee how long a lithium-ion battery will retain its charge. However, we expect a fully charged battery in a new S1 Pro system will last 30 days with the power switch in the “Standby” (?) position if the system is using Firmware 7.1.5[1] or later.

After 30 days of non-use, the battery will enter Sleep Mode. Bose recommends that you wake up[2] the battery and fully charge it at least once a year. If you leave it in Sleep Mode for longer than a year, the battery may completely discharge and become unusable.

1. Bose recommends that you update your firmware to the latest version for the best performance. SeeS1 Pro Firmware Update for details.

2. To wake up the battery from Sleep Mode, plug your S1 Pro into a power outlet and turn the power switch to the “On” (?) position. SeeS1 Pro Battery Sleep Mode for details.

Source: S1 Pro Battery Life

If you have concerns about your S1 Pro, please contact Bose Support directly.  They will work with you to diagnose and solve the problem you are experiencing.

Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673
(U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Other regions

ST

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Everybody.

For the sake of those reading along, if you talk about how long your S1 Pro system retains its charge, please include

• The firmware version that was installed when you made the measurements
  • If the results you are talking refer to a unit that had been repaired by Bose

Without this information, there's no context for your comments.

Thank you.

ST

Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

So does the firmware have an effect on the battery drain issue?

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Sam Spoons.

Sam Spoons posted:

So does the firmware have an effect on the battery drain issue?

You have had your system repaired by Bose Support. If you have further concerns, please continue to work with them.

To Everyone.

In practical terms.

S1 Pro firmware version 7.1.5

• Supports power-saving features
  • Optimizes battery performance
  • Enhanced security for Bluetooth connection

Bose recommends all S1 Pro owners update the firmware in their systems.

S1 Pro System Updates

If you have concerns about your S1 Pro after having applied the firmware update, please contact Bose Support to diagnose the issue further and if necessary, have the unit repaired.

Thanks,

ST

Registered since

May 10, 2012

Sam Spoons posted:

How can I feel confident that I will not have several months of testing, and sending back for 'repair' an expensive, 'premium' product should I decide to purchase another S1 Pro. I would love to think I could buy another safe in the knowledge that Bose have solved the problem but without the assurance that new S1s are free of the issue I don't feel I can buy another. I am very frustrated and quite angry to be treated this way.

I 100% agree with Sam.

This is a big disappointing mess. Really nothing against ST (I feel with him and I don’t see that Sam attacked ST in any way either), but Bose failed here completely. Technically and in the way they communicate. I couldn’t imagine to treat my clients like that.

I was away from this thread for quite a while and hoped that there will be a professional solution within an acceptable timeframe. After 1,5 years that seems not to be the case. What is presented by Bose is not convincing. I also did, what was suggested and called Bose in my country. They have no idea of anything. Nice!

I have 3 S1 Pro bought at different times, trusting that Bose will explain what happened and solve it in a comprehensible way. All 3 have the `battery draining Issue`.

And now the real hardliner fanboys can come and launch their attacks! 🙂 Telling me that everything works like advertised`or `removing the battery solves the issue´and so on. I do hope for that you´ll never get a high priced  car with broken brakes and afterwards somebody tells you that working breakes were not advertised - just brakes.

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, PZ.

Have you updated your S1 Pro systems to firmware 7.1.5?

S1 Pro System Updates

ST

Registered since

May 10, 2012

ST, you are the man, a real fighter! 🙂 Taking care about me after my post is great.

No, I didn´t make the update. I first want to see clear what´s going on. I´m not sure if the update is the right solution. Maybe it works great, maybe it just reduces the power of the speaker to save battery life.

You see, I´ve lost my trust. Not because of a technical failure within Bose, that can happen, but I don't like that classified information policy.

I also just talked to a Bose repair shop here (not Bose, that doesn´t make any sense) and they want to make a test with one of my speakers. Those are really great service-minded people - like you. Let´s see what turns out.

I knew that I payed quite a premium fee when I bought my 3 S1 Pro, 3 L1 compact and 2 S1. It was a ´trust-fee´ and I wanted to show my respect for Amar and all the great things he did for (not only) the audio world. Just a personal thing.

But please don´t worry or spend your efforts on me. I´m good and have more speakers than I ever can use.

Anyway, thank you! Really!

Peter

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Peter.

Let's get you back to a place of trust.

Install S1 Pro firmware version 7.1.5

• Supports power-saving features
  • Optimizes battery performance
  • Enhanced security for Bluetooth connection

You can do this in minutes if you follow the instructions on this page (S1 Pro System Updates) and it may solve the issues you've had with the battery. If it doesn't, then you can get the unit(s) serviced under warranty. But you may be happy with the outcome of applying the new firmware without having to send your systems away.

ST

Registered since

May 10, 2012

Ok ST, will do the firmware update this week.
Not sending them away would really be better.

Peter