Registered since

Jan 15, 2020

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I was just trying to give a real-life answer to Chet's question.

I do intend to update my S1 menagerie soon, thanks for the links on that. Is there any way to do it *without* being attached to the Internet?

And I'm obviously not up in arms over the whole thing; I do wish that they worked the way I want them to work, but sometimes I have impossible demands.

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Dave O'Heare.

Dave O'Heare posted:

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I was just trying to give a real-life answer to Chet's question.

I do intend to update my S1 menagerie soon, thanks for the links on that. Is there any way to do it *without* being attached to the Internet?

And I'm obviously not up in arms over the whole thing; I do wish that they worked the way I want them to work, but sometimes I have impossible demands.

You have to be connected to the internet to install the firmware.

• If you can do it with a PC or a Mac with a USB connection from the computer to the S1 Pro - it's quick.
  • If you do it using the Bose Connect app - the tablet or phone running the app must be connected to the internet.  The connection from the tablet or phone to the S1 Pro relies on Bluetooth and it takes much longer.

ST

Registered since

May 10, 2012

Chet posted:

As a professional who has to rely on his equipment, I make it a point to MAKE SURE that ANYTHING that's powered by a rechargeable battery has been completely charged up on the day before every gig.

The good news is that modern batteries rarely take more than a few hours to charge.

I expect my gear to work PROFESSIONALLY. 

There are lots of reasons why a battery that keeps charge is a good thing. Not much fantasy needed to understand this. And any Li battery should keep its charge for a looong time. I have some two arm lenghts away from me, not charged for two years and they are still at a good charge level. Professionals know that and expect this from such a battery. The comparison you made later on with a notebook battery is totally wrong.

I really hope you don't imply that people who know better than you are unprofessional.

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Hi David and ST,

First David, thanks for the real-world examples.

As for the the new firmware: I upgraded both my units using my iPhone X, the Bose app, and Bluetooth. The first unit literally took several hours to install, and being a glutton for punishment, I also installed the second unit the same way -- and surprisingly, it only took about 15 minutes.  So, as for using the app, your mileage may vary (as you can see mine clearly did).

In both cases the upgrade to the new firmware went smoothly and was successful. And as you can see from some of my previous posts, it was well worth it for me. With the old firmware, the best performance I ever received was 18 days with 70 percent power loss; with the new firmware, I'm at day 28 today and still showing 90/100 percent (or less than 10 percent power loss).

Yes -- well worth the effort to upgrade to the new firmware 7.1.5!

(Also, btw, the Bose cell-phone app is the best way to monitor your power level, showing level changes every 10 percent.)

Registered since

May 10, 2012

Hi ST,

now I did my part to 'get back to a place of trust' and loaded the new firmware. 🙂

Worked like a charm but now the (also updated) iPhone Bose app doesn't like to connect anymore. No problem to play music via bluetooth but the app doesn't see/find my S1 speakers anymore.

Not a big thing, I'm sure it will work someday again as we are talking about computers.

And now the funny part begins: will those boxes keep their charge! 🙂

Peter

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

PZ posted:
iPhone Bose app doesn't like to connect anymore.

Hi Peter. You might try turning off your iPhone and turning it back on.  Can't hurt, and sometimes a rebooting seems to help.

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the update.

PZ posted:

Hi ST,

now I did my part to 'get back to a place of trust' and loaded the new firmware. 🙂

Worked like a charm but now the (also updated) iPhone Bose app doesn't like to connect anymore. No problem to play music via bluetooth but the app doesn't see/find my S1 speakers anymore.

The latest firmware and Bose Connect app added enhanced security for Bluetooth connections. For some people (like you) this can break the connection between the S1 Pro systems and an iPhone or iPad especially if you are running iOS or iPadOS 12.x or later.

Please follow this link

iOS iPadOS Bose Connect Can't Connect to S1 Pro?

Not a big thing, I'm sure it will work someday again as we are talking about computers.

And now the funny part begins: will those boxes keep their charge! 🙂

Peter

ST

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Also, Peter, since you've upgraded your firmware, can you share with us if you'd sent your unit in to Bose for hardware fixes?  I'm curious to see if the new firmware works as well on units that didn't go back to Bose as it does on the ones that did.  Thanks!

Registered since

May 10, 2012

Hi Eddy,

not yet and maybe I'm lucky and don't have to bring it to the workshop.     And thanks to you and ST for the help with the iPhone connection.

All the best

Peter

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Update: 

Today, after 29 days my S1Pros are still holding their battery charge at 90/100 percent. 

I'm on the road for a while so I will not be able to take another reading for at least five more days.

But at this point, I consider the fixes and new firmware a success, having excellently held up for one month (short one day...)

Thank you  Bose (and ST) for your support in working on this problem.