ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: S1 Pro battery draining when not in use

Hi, Sam Spoons.

Sam Spoons posted:
ST posted:

A very few customers have reported an issue that might be hardware related.  It took longer than anyone wanted to diagnose and to develop a repair procedure for that issue.

When Bose announced they were ready to repair the units with the issue in December, some of the first people sent their units in to be repaired, and the issue was not diagnosed correctly. Unfortunately, the appropriate repair was not done. Bose Support is working with those people individually now.

ST

I've heard said that the return rate was 10%. 

It's beyond the scope of this community to talk about numbers in detail (and I won't be doing that). However, I can assure everyone here, Bose monitors these kinds of performance indicators scrupulously and the number is significantly less than 10%.

You mentioned something similar in December and I replied.

Hi, Everyone.

? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? 
only 10% of owners are reporting an issue
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

It's beyond the scope of this community to talk about numbers in detail (and I won't be doing that). However, I monitor Bose customer feedback channels. The number is significantly less than 10%.

For anyone who has a unit with the issue, the percentage doesn't matter. If you have this problem, Bose wants to repair your unit.

Sincerely,

ST

And you responded.

Fair enough

ST

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Sam Spoons posted:
ST posted:

A very few customers have reported an issue that might be hardware related.  It took longer than anyone wanted to diagnose and to develop a repair procedure for that issue.

When Bose announced they were ready to repair the units with the issue in December, some of the first people sent their units in to be repaired, and the issue was not diagnosed correctly. Unfortunately, the appropriate repair was not done. Bose Support is working with those people individually now.

ST

I've heard said that the return rate was 10%.    I doubt Bose will share that information so that’s likely speculation.    At any rate, due to the nature of the issue I’ll bet there are a lot of people who have the issue and don’t know it.  They may never figure out that they have it.  

ChrisMorgan
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Ok, fewer than 10% of ownera have reported the issue to Bose. That doesn't necessarily mean that the number with the problem isn't 40%, 60% or even 100%. Logically, if all units are manufacured exactly the same then there is more than a good chance that all units have the problem (it has been stated that the problem is NOT the battery itself.)

The vast majority of owners have probably never even visited this site and an equally large number may not know there is a problem at all as they may keep their units charged at all all times.

My point is that if, say, 8% of all customers have got in touch to say they have the problem, that doesn't mean that very many more don't have the problem...

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Chris M.

Chris M posted:

Ok, fewer than 10% of ownera have reported the issue to Bose. That doesn't necessarily mean that the number with the problem isn't 40%, 60% or even 100%. Logically, if all units are manufacured exactly the same then there is more than a good chance that all units have the problem (it has been stated that the problem is NOT the battery itself.)

One of the reasons Bose provides a warranty is despite all measures to assure product quality, not all units can be manufactured exactly the same way.

All processes and components should meet specific tolerances and sometimes combinations of components may result in an out-of-spec outcome. Bose will stand behind their products.

The vast majority of owners have probably never even visited this site and an equally large number may not know there is a problem at all as they may keep their units charged at all all times.

My point is that if, say, 8% of all customers have got in touch to say they have the problem, that doesn't mean that very many more don't have the problem...

I don't see how we can have a meaningful conversation about a problem that people haven't experienced.

To all.

If you have concerns about your S1 Pro or any Bose Portable PA product please contact Bose Support.

Thanks,

ST

ac1dl0rd
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 6, 2016

I'm sure there is more than 10% of people have this problem
i have the problem myself but i never talk about it ..
I often read the forum to see the evolution and is very long..

Aaron_D
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

Sorry ST, I know you are trying to be helpful and you've replied to a ton of people trying to assist, but not sure where you are coming from with your recent comments. The Bose S1 Pro is literally proven to be a defective piece of equipment. Not SOME of the S1 Pro's. ALL OF THEM.  Literally EVERYBODY who has bought one since it was released in 2018, has the battery drain issue.  Whether or not they REALIZE that they have the issue, OK sure, many probably have no idea that they have a defective piece of equipment. Maybe they use it 5 times per week, and as such, are constantly charging the device, so they will never know the issue exists.  So when you say "significantly less than 10%" of S1 Pro owners have REPORTED the issue, OK fine I believe that.  But 100% (or close to it) of S1 Pro owners HAVE the battery drain issue, it's just that many of them don't know they have the issue, or the know about it but aren't concerned enough to call Bose (which was me for like the first 5 months of ownership).

Surround1
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

Tolerance of components has absolutely nothing to do with this battery drain issue. Bose also has this issue with their new noise cancelling headphones. The QC35 does not. It’s a design flaw that is draining the battery when the unit is turned off. Their is something in the circuit design that is still engaged slowly draining the battery.

If the battery was seeing a open circuit when switched off there would be no drain, period. That’s the same as removing the battery. Obviously the fix is flawed or the service center in IN doesn’t know what there’re doing.

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Seriously?   I just got a pair of the new headphones delivered today.   

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

If this was a design issue, we could expect all units to have the same problem. 

Capacitors, diodes, and integrated circuit chips are components that might allow current leakage if they aren't up to snuff.

I have been unwilling to allow my S1 to sit unused for multiple weeks to determine if it has a problem.

I suggest all owners try to use their S1 more often, then they won't have a chance to discharge in a surprising manner.

O..

DavidE2
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Oldghm posted:

If this was a design issue, we could expect all units to have the same problem. 

Capacitors, diodes, and integrated circuit chips are components that might allow current leakage if they aren't up to snuff.

I have been unwilling to allow my S1 to sit unused for multiple weeks to determine if it has a problem.

I suggest all owners try to use their S1 more often, then they won't have a chance to discharge in a surprising manner.

O..

Maybe they all do but most owners don’t know it?   I don’t think there’s any way for us to know unless Bose discloses information they don’t/won’t disclose (neither would other manufacturers).