Not applicable
Registered since

Jan 20, 2019

S1 Pro buzzing/humming

When I use the line out there is constant humming. Why is that?  I have done updates.

6 REPLIES 6
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Re: S1 Pro buzzing/humming

Most likely an earth/ground loop. Does it go away when you run the S1 off the battery?

Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

Ts or trs?

Not applicable
Registered since

Jan 20, 2019

Gee I never thought to try with battery. That was the problem. No noise with battery.  Thanks for the tip and quick reply.  Ray

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Ray.

Ray 7 posted:

When I use the line out there is constant humming. Why is that?  I have done updates.

What downstream device are you connecting the S1 Pro line out to?

If you use the AC power, are the S1 Pro and the downstream device connected to the same AC power source?

Thanks,

ST

Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

To solve the buzz issue when running on mains power DO NOT disconnect the safety earth/ground in the mains cable. If plugging both devices into the same multiway or socket, or using balanced connections doesn't help (maybe the source device does not have balanced outputs) then a special signal lead with the earth/ground disconnected at the destination end (i.e. the S1 end) is worth a try. If that doesn't work then a transformer DI or Isolating box will solve the problem. 

HTH

Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Apologies, the earth disconnect is best at the downstream end, so as you are using the S1 as the source in this context leave the earth connected at the S1 end and disconnect at the other end.