Stevesoffthecouch
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 15, 2017

S1 Pro feedback on a stand when microphone is at the same height?

Tom Munch posted:

Played a wine bistro concert for 30 people tonight where the S1 was perfectly suited. 

Hi,I knowthis is an old post.I just picked up the S1. Did you encounter any feedback issues with the S1 being at the same height as the mic.....

@Tom Munch

28 REPLIES 28
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Re: S1 Pro feedback on a stand when microphone is at the same height?

Not really if you eat the mic. I’ve been using a taller regular stand usually now so it’s higher than my head. 

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I ran two of them -- one on the right at mic level of the guy on the right, one on the left at mic level of the guy on the left -- both just a little ahead of us -- at a moderate level to fill a back yard space...

No feedback issues...

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I run my entire band through one Bose S1 Pro on the ground in tilt back mode, to include a U-Bass, 1 acoustic electric guitar, 2 acoustic electric 'ukulele and 3 microphones without feedback using a Behringer Xenix 1002B battery powered mixer, a Carlo Robelli U-Bass, 1 LR Baggs Para Acoustic active preamp DI box, 2 Behringer ADI21 active preamp DI boxes and 1 Behringer BDI21 active preamp DI box for noisy audiences up to 50 with great success. Understanding throw, dispersion horizontally and vertically and geometry patterns of the audience and stage along with gain staging and equalization allow me to push my Bose S1 Pro far beyond it's intended use. It's just another example of the always amazing size defeating Bose quality sound solutions. Near perfect in this old musician's ears and eyes.

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Stevesoffthecouch
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 15, 2017

@Tom..Thx

Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

You’re welcome!

Stevesoffthecouch
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 15, 2017

@Ric. Great pics..I have the same mixer as well as the S1. I also have the Tonematch T1.I’m curious because I’m not very good technically with mixers and setups.I”m trying to learn as much as possible do to a recent uptick in solo gigs.I also occassionaly have a buddy sit in on eletronic drums and or bass player.It looks like you’re running the 1/4 inch jack on the headphone out using a 1/4 in./1/8in. Adapter to the Aux. in on the S1.?

If so,any reason why you don’t run 1/4 in. Main out of mixer to 1/4in in on Ch1 or ch2 on the S1? Wouldn”t that allow you to use the effects of the S1 channel? Or,by using the S1 aux you use the effects on the mixer!not needing the S1 effects?

I would appreciate any  input you have..

thx,Steve

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I have the same mixer (Behringer 1002b).  A trick I've used is to pan our 2 guitars to the right and then used a TRS 1/4" to XLR into channel 2 of the first S1, our 2 vocals to the left and then use a similar cable into channel 1 of the first S1...

Then a TRS 1/4" to XLR from the first S1 to the 2nd one.

Then I use a touch of the Bose reverb on the vocal channel of the first S1.

One could try some tonematch settings on the first S1s "vocal" and "guitar" channels but I haven't found it necessary.  A vintage 1960s Strat and my Taylor T5z or Taylor K24ce sound pretty fine without anything other than a little EQ on the Behringer.  Same with our vocals using a C1000 and Neumann KMS105

I also usually roll off the bass on the S1s and roll up the treble a bit.

Marlin1
Registered since

Mar 25, 2017

Chet 3, mind if I ask - why do you use a TRS 1/4" to XLR adapter/cable to connect your mixer to the S1 (as well as to connect the first S1 to the 2nd one)?  Why not just use straight TRS 1/4" balanced cable on both ends rather than switch to XLR?