Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldmachead
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

S1 Pro outdoors

So I had an interesting gig yesterday ... I thought I'd share my experience and post a few questions to see what advice folks would have for me.

I was asked to play at an event that was outdoors. The invite said that there would not be any power (it was the parking lot of a mall) but battery powered amps were permitted.

Of course, I took my S1. Photo of the stage attached.

When I got there, I found that the organizers had set up a small stage - with no canopy under the bright morning sun.

Problem #1: I could hardly see my iPad in the bright light. Brightness was at 100% but couldn't overcome sunshine and reflections.

Problem #2: When checking for sound levels (it was my first time cranking up the S1 volumes well above the 12 o'clock mark), I couldn't see the lights - no green, no red, no nothing. The sunshine just drowned the lights out.

When I got there, I discovered that the organizers had, in fact, left a (Yamaha) mixer and two (powered) speakers for our use. However, I didn't want to futz around with trying out a new system - setup would have taken me too long since I was not at all familiar with the mixer etc. In the attached photo, you can see the mixer on the stage in the bottom right corner of the photo and one of the speakers off to the left of the photo. I also didn't know if the mixer was powered and would be putting gain on the line - and didn't have enough time to help to figure this out (I was on my own).

I did have a TS cable and could have gone from the S1 line out to the mixer ...

Problem #3: I remembered reading that the S1 line out needed a TRS cable - but didn't know if that was only if connecting to another S1. I carry my user manuals on my iPad. But the S1 manual is silent on how to connect to another mixer; it just says that a TRS cable is required to connect to a second S1.

If I had known that there was power available, I would have taken my L1M2 and T1 system and I'm sure everything would have been just dandy. Except for Problem #1 above, of course!

I'm posting this to learn from others who have experienced all of the above problems ... so here goes:

1. Any suggestions on how to deal with the effects of an outdoor, uncovered performance space when sunshine is blinding out the iPad (in all honesty, I don't think there's a solution to this except for using a canopy)?

2. How do I view the S1 indicator lights in bright sunlight - I tried cupping my hands around the lights but it's kinda hard to do a sound and light check with a guitar and mic in use while crouching down. I just couldn't see any lights on the S1 indicators.

3. Would I have been OK to run a TS cable from the S1 line out to the mixer? Wouldn't it be nice if the S1 user manual included something on the subject?

If you've read this far, thank you for being so patient. All ideas/suggestions are welcome - I want to learn from this experience to be prepared for the next time I'm faced with it - and I'm sure there will be a next time!

Thanks very much.

Troubador

49 REPLIES 49
oldmachead
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

Re: S1 Pro outdoors

Oh - I nearly forgot the postscript ... during my last song, I felt something pinching my right upper arm. Then I felt the sting ... yes, I got stung by a wasp! While singing!! What could I go? I just kept going ... . Yes, it still hurts! Ha ha ha ... Luckily I'm not allergic or I wouldn't have found it very funny!! I now know why it's called a 'sting'!

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I keep a chair with an attached shade umbrella in my car that's saved me more than once. My songbook is still a large notebook with paper pages that like bright sunlight. Two Bose S2 pro's would have been appropriate for that venue mounted high on speaker stands.

GeneS
Collaborator
Registered since

May 27, 2018

Sorry about that sting! Yikes! 

On the iPad - do you use black or white background? I use white background with dark blue chords and can see fine in the sun - but can’t wear polarized sun glasses they make the screen mostly unreadable.

I haven’t done any of the wiring thing yet so can’t speak to that.

Hupp
Registered since

Aug 19, 2018

For any outdoor gigs, I take a 10' x 10' canopy system (avail at Wal Mart for $69) and I'm always in the shade.  (You might need one person to help with set up, but I can usually do it by myself).

Artie_w_the_Par
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Never assume anything ask if you will be shaded ahead of time

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Troubador,

Thanks for the detailed gig report. It's an opportunity for all of us to review our pre-gig check list (including the conditions under which we will take a gig).  Check out Scouting the Venue

troubador posted:

So I had an interesting gig yesterday ... I thought I'd share my experience and post a few questions to see what advice folks would have for me.

I was asked to play at an event that was outdoors. The invite said that there would not be any power (it was the parking lot of a mall) but battery powered amps were permitted.

Of course, I took my S1. Photo of the stage attached.

When I got there, I found that the organizers had set up a small stage - with no canopy under the bright morning sun.

Problem #1: I could hardly see my iPad in the bright light. Brightness was at 100% but couldn't overcome sunshine and reflections.

Check out Smart Invert Colors on the iPad.

Settings, General, Accessibility, Accessibility Shortcut (it's at the bottom), Smart Invert Colors

Once you turn that on, you can invert the colors by clicking the Home button three times. Do it again to switch back.

Problem #2: When checking for sound levels (it was my first time cranking up the S1 volumes well above the 12 o'clock mark), I couldn't see the lights - no green, no red, no nothing. The sunshine just drowned the lights out.

Even if you can't see the lights, if you can't hear any distortion, you're okay.

When I got there, I discovered that the organizers had, in fact, left a (Yamaha) mixer and two (powered) speakers for our use. However, I didn't want to futz around with trying out a new system - setup would have taken me too long since I was not at all familiar with the mixer etc. In the attached photo, you can see the mixer on the stage in the bottom right corner of the photo and one of the speakers off to the left of the photo. I also didn't know if the mixer was powered and would be putting gain on the line - and didn't have enough time to help to figure this out (I was on my own).

I did have a TS cable and could have gone from the S1 line out to the mixer ...

Problem #3: I remembered reading that the S1 line out needed a TRS cable - but didn't know if that was only if connecting to another S1. I carry my user manuals on my iPad. But the S1 manual is silent on how to connect to another mixer; it just says that a TRS cable is required to connect to a second S1.

Connect the Line Out from an S1 Pro System to the input of another device.

If another device (like a third-party mixer or powered loudspeaker) has a 1/4 inch (6 mm) input, and you don't know if it's balanced or unbalanced, it's usually okay to use a Tip-Sleeve cable. If that connection is balanced, then a Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable is a better choice. If you don't know for sure and don't have time to test, use the Tip-Sleeve cable.

Most mixers will accept an unbalanced, line-level device. If you use a Tip-Sleeve cable from the S1 Pro system Line Out, you are providing an unbalanced, line-level device.

Some mixers will accept a balanced line-level device. If you use a Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable from the S1 Pro system Line Out, then the connection is balanced.

Many modern powered loudspeakers will accept a balanced line-level device. If you use a Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable from the S1 Pro system Line Out, then the connection is balanced.

Source: S1 Pro to a Third Party Mixer??

If I had known that there was power available, I would have taken my L1M2 and T1 system and I'm sure everything would have been just dandy. Except for Problem #1 above, of course!

I'm posting this to learn from others who have experienced all of the above problems ... so here goes:

1. Any suggestions on how to deal with the effects of an outdoor, uncovered performance space when sunshine is blinding out the iPad (in all honesty, I don't think there's a solution to this except for using a canopy)?

Check, double check, and get it in writing (from the venue or event organizers).

2. How do I view the S1 indicator lights in bright sunlight - I tried cupping my hands around the lights but it's kinda hard to do a sound and light check with a guitar and mic in use while crouching down. I just couldn't see any lights on the S1 indicators.

I'm also looking for suggestions for this. But at least we know, if you hear distortion you have to turn down the volume.

3. Would I have been OK to run a TS cable from the S1 line out to the mixer?

Yes.

Wouldn't it be nice if the S1 user manual included something on the subject?

If you have access to the internet, you can check out the S1 Pro system page in the Bose Portable PA Wiki.  We add information to that page in response to questions that people ask here.

If you've read this far, thank you for being so patient. All ideas/suggestions are welcome - I want to learn from this experience to be prepared for the next time I'm faced with it - and I'm sure there will be a next time!

Thanks very much.

Troubador

Thanks for sharing your experience, and for giving us an opportunity to learn from it.

ST

Simon Patrick
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

troubador posted:

Oh - I nearly forgot the postscript ... during my last song, I felt something pinching my right upper arm. Then I felt the sting ... yes, I got stung by a wasp! While singing!! What could I go? I just kept going ... . Yes, it still hurts! Ha ha ha ... Luckily I'm not allergic or I wouldn't have found it very funny!! I now know why it's called a 'sting'!

I can certainly empathize with you...I actually had a wasp that was in my can of beer at a solo outdoor gig and when I grabbed a quick sip between songs, it but me on the lip!  Not an easy thing to recover from under pressure!  

DJ_Erv
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

I use a fold up hood for the iPad when playing outside. It helps a lot.

iPad hood on Amazon

Chriscom
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 30, 2018

Troubador, you did an exemplary job under sketchy circumstances. 

I learned a lot from ST as usual. Looking at your photo, the one thing I would have done differently, or at least tried to, is use one of the provided speaker stands for the S1--that height can really make a difference.