Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: S1 Pro outdoors

Yep, I can carry my entire show in the Miata -- guitar, bass, stands, mics, cables and foot toys, mixer, 2-S1s (or JBL EON ONE)...

But alas, if I ever "got lucky" at a gig -- out of luck...

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

I too am coming in late on this topic (other than the smarty pants response about Miatas back at Chet 3...), but I'd like to say lots of good info here.  I've played a bunch of outdoor gigs this year with the S1 Pros and ran into the same situations troubador mentions.  The ideas here are great.

I too have a first version iPad and I have been wondering if maybe I should drop the dime and get newer one. Thanks Tim-Mk with info about iPad Pro and iPad Air limiting sunlight issues with a transflective screen. Very good info to know.

By wearing polarized sunglasses and tipping the first version iPad to landscape mode, you can eliminate a lot of sunlight glare.  (However, if you keep the iPad in vertical mode, you will only see black.) This actually works very well but the problem is with the software I'm using for music, in horizontal mode, I can only see half the page at a time.  If I'm going to to do this, I have to review the song before I start playing and determine a spot where I can quickly take a finger and swipe up to see the bottom of the page. Sometimes I can do this by setting up a loop, other times by placing a pause in the music, or by finding a spot in the song that has "no chord".  However, all said doing this can be tricky, and any added "gymnastics" during a live performance can peg your fun meter.

Shade -- best bet is an umbrella of some sort like Ric suggests. I've had the fortune so far of playing places that have those big beer advertisement deck umbrellas so I make sure I get one before they're all being used the customers.  Shade is an absolute necessity!

Since I've had the S1 Pros, I play ALL my gigs via battery-power so that I am not dependent in any way on the venue's electricity. In this way, I can set up where I want and not worry about long in-the-way extension chords.  I don't like depending on other peoples mixers, sound systems, or anything else.  I even bring my own folding chair because I don't want to be victim of a place that only has chairs with arms which can be cumbersome when playing guitar.

Each new venue is a trial and error adventure. It sure helps to show up early enough to figure out the bugga-boos, and again, by bringing all my own gear (batter-powered), I minimize my setup issues.

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

CityFolk posted:

Where’s my super suit? Name that movie.

Hmmm..  Let me think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2qRDMHbXaM

Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Winner! ??

Registered since

May 30, 2018

but the problem is with the software I'm using for music, in horizontal mode, I can only see half the page at a time

I have used OnSong iPad app for several years, it’s just so great and so flexible, and I always use it landscape. And the AirTurn Bluetooth foot pedal for page scrolling is an absolute must, it’s all let’s you concentrate on your performance. It can play your backing tracks as well, MIDI or whatever..

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks-Tim-MK.  I have considered changing to another music software system. In fact, other members here have also suggested the same earlier. Since I have the first version of iPad, I am concerned it may not be able to  handle newer software without an upgrade of the operating system. Frankly, at this point I don't want to take the chance of upgrading my operating system or adding anything new to my iPad and risk having it lockup and losing access to my songs.  Additionally, I have about 300 songs on my iPad and the thought of transferring all those songs to a new software seems a bit overwhelming. I think I need to look into all this again, but my feeling is that I should consider an upgraded iPad as well -- especially if it has that new-fangled transflective screen you mentioned earlier.  BTW, the Air Turn sounds great too.  I bought one a few years ago and never really used it. I may have to go downstairs to my Tomb of Forgotten Gear and dig it back out...

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Tim-MK posted:

I have used OnSong iPad app for several years, it’s just so great and so flexible, and I always use it landscape.

You mentioned you use landscape mode only.  Is your iPad the larger 12.9 inch iPad Pro model?

Registered since

May 27, 2018

I was thing of switching to landscape mode to force myself to practice not missing my blue teeth pedal - it’s close to my harmony pedal - some tunes would make for a nice pedal dance in landscape!D178549C-E756-4038-831F-615B03A9036C

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

By the way, Tom Munch told me about a fold up sun shade he uses called Wondershade Ultimate. About $60 and can be found a number of places on line (including Amazon).  See attached picture.

In some ways a sun shade takes care of a lot of problems: glare on the iPad, sun exposure to skin, too much heat, etc.  The Wondershade Ultimate packs up to a nice 8 inches by three feet and comes in a carry-around bag.

CU7G8aepSeyp._UX899_TTW__

Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Nice! It actually comes with cup holders! This is pretty cool. I like the portability of it so you can take it with you in case you might need it.

36571FFF-6909-442A-B783-BB7AF980FA41

Now does it come with a roadie to help setup and a beverage of your choice? ??