Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: S1 Pro outdoors

When I started gigging a lot I found a nice refurbished 9.7" iPad at a decent price (like less than 1/2 of an S1 🙂  ).

As others have mentioned, OnSong is THE WAY TO GO!  And it ONLY runs on ios based machines...

If your lyrics are in text files or most any other "song" file, PDF or JPG they can be directly imported into OnSong.  I found going via Dropbox from my desktop computer moving zipfiles full of lyrics was the fastest, easiest way...

Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I saw a YouTube video on the setup. It looks easier than it probably is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Kv-6tSlDQ

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Ric posted:

I saw a YouTube video on the setup. It looks easier than it probably is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Kv-6tSlDQ

Hi Ric.  Thanks for the YT vid on the Wondershade.  And now for the color -- shocking pink?

Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

I think we’re having too much fun with this shade! ??

Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I will shop for it locally. We have several As Seen On TV sores out here. 

Registered since

May 30, 2018

Dear Archtop Eddie,

my iPad is a 10.5” Pro, I passed my iPad Air 9.7” onto my dearly beloved who reads it outside in the garden, so I can recommend either for your sunshine gigs.... the transflective screens were designed to make use of incident light to reflect back through the pixels in the display.

I’ve just taken delivery of an AirTurn Manos iPad holder, looks tough and flexible in mounting angles, portrait or landscape and attaches to the mic stand of course. I find that I tend to look at my screen too much and not engage with the audience, for example. So need to mount the iPad as high as possible, eg. next to the mic.

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks Tim-MK for all the info.  The AirTurn Manos iPad holder sounds nice too!

Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

Archtop Eddy posted:

By the way, Tom Munch told me about a fold up sun shade he uses called Wondershade Ultimate. About $60 and can be found a number of places on line (including Amazon).  See attached picture.

In some ways a sun shade takes care of a lot of problems: glare on the iPad, sun exposure to skin, too much heat, etc.  The Wondershade Ultimate packs up to a nice 8 inches by three feet and comes in a carry-around bag.

CU7G8aepSeyp._UX899_TTW__

@Archtop Eddy Thanks. This one looks pretty cool. And Amazon Canada carries it too!

Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 7, 2018

Tim-MK posted:

but the problem is with the software I'm using for music, in horizontal mode, I can only see half the page at a time

I have used OnSong iPad app for several years, it’s just so great and so flexible, and I always use it landscape. And the AirTurn Bluetooth foot pedal for page scrolling is an absolute must, it’s all let’s you concentrate on your performance. It can play your backing tracks as well, MIDI or whatever..

I Second on use of On Song! Great thread especially for us aging folks! I’ve been using On Song for several years and gave my sons On Song and my library too.  A little bit of a learning curve but very very useful! 

Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

BTW I started a new topic to discuss tablet apps like OnSong.