Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jefry146
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

S1 pro

Hi,

I have noticed that the LED light of the speaker turns red when the signal is too loud. Will it damage my speaker (S1 PRO) if it’s red all the time? What does the red LED indicate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Re: S1 pro

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Dylan_R

Hello Jefry146,

The S1 Pro has internal limiters for the speaker array and the woofer to keep from damaging them.  However, running the signal level in the red continuously indicates clipping, i.e., distortion caused by overdriving the input stage of the channel.  While the preamps are well-built, sound quality certainly suffers if running constantly in the red.

You should turn up the volume until you see steady green on the LED, and occasional flashes of red are OK.  If you are constant red, turn down the volume.  If you turn it all the way down and still get red, then your source (guitar preamp, music player, etc.) is too loud.

See this link for information about proper gain staging for the S1 Pro.  See this link for information on the S1 Pro internal limiting.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Dylan_R

Hello Jefry146,

The S1 Pro has internal limiters for the speaker array and the woofer to keep from damaging them.  However, running the signal level in the red continuously indicates clipping, i.e., distortion caused by overdriving the input stage of the channel.  While the preamps are well-built, sound quality certainly suffers if running constantly in the red.

You should turn up the volume until you see steady green on the LED, and occasional flashes of red are OK.  If you are constant red, turn down the volume.  If you turn it all the way down and still get red, then your source (guitar preamp, music player, etc.) is too loud.

See this link for information about proper gain staging for the S1 Pro.  See this link for information on the S1 Pro internal limiting.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

Jefry146
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

Thanks for your response.

Quick question: What if the LED is solid red and the music still sounds great? I just want to make sure I don’t damage my S1 PRO. 
Does it cause any damage to the speaker over the time? 

Dylan_R

Hi Jefry,

If the LED is solid red, this means the audio signal going to the system is too loud and is distorting. If audio is distorted, you will likely be losing the clarity and 'punch' (transients) of the original signal and also hearing added audio artifacts like crackling and clipping. These artifacts are often undesirable. 

For best practice, set your input level so that the indicator is showing green, then adjust the channel volume level appropriately. 

Hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply. If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Hello again Jefry,

The effects of clipping over the long haul are not so much with the speakers themselves, but with the system electronics.  The main potential damage can occur because of overheating as it tries to output power in excess of its power rating -- and many can attest that heat is one of the main causes of failure in electronic equipment.

There's a decent article on clipping and its effects on Wikipedia at this link.

Does that help?