Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wirelessdj
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2019

S1's Pros are so good I am selling my QSC's, NEED YOUR ADVICE

After Purchasing TWO (2) Bose S1 Pro’s I am ready to sell my QSC K8’s.  I know they are not the same category; the QSC’s are louder and more more power.  I just don't use them.  I will never sell my TWO (2) Bose L1 Model 1S Single B2 Bass Portable Line Array Systems.  I will retain them for larger venues of 300+ Guests.

For all other small and medium gigs, I am planning on using the  S1 Pro’s.  You can't beat them; the sound, weight, battery power, the bluetooth are such a game changer.  I love these speakers.

With the proceeds of the sale what should I get?

Option 1:
Get TWO MORE (2) Bose S1 Pro’s $1200
Chain them together
SPREAD THEM OUT so the coverage of the venue’s room is greater (perhaps one in each corner?)

Option 2:
Chain them together
Place them NEAR the original set of S1’s (either stacked or side-by side)

Option 3:
Get ONE (1) Bose F1 Powered Subwoofer $1200
Use it in high pass mode with the original set of S1’s
Run the system as a 3 piece system

Option 4
Get TWO (2) Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO 500W 12" Powered Subwoofers $599
Use them in high pass mode with the original set of S1’s
Run the system as a 4 piece system

What would you do?
17 REPLIES 17
ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: S1's Pros are so good I am selling my QSC's, NEED YOUR ADVICE

Personally, I'd get the 2 B1200Ds and save the rest for something else.

Alas, I tried to order a B1200D a few days ago and the minimum shipping cost nearly half what the speaker does at Sweetwater and none of the Amazon vendors would ship it here at any price...

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

PS: And a decent mixer and cables if you don't already have one.  I like my Behringer 1200b (5 channel) that can also be run on batteries (9 v rechargeable) and has phantom power.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi WirelessDJ,

A few thoughts.

WirelessDJ posted:

After Purchasing TWO (2) Bose S1 Pro’s I am ready to sell my QSC K8’s.  I know they are not the same category; the QSC’s are louder and more more power.  I just don't use them.  I will never sell my TWO (2) Bose L1 Model 1S Single B2 Bass Portable Line Array Systems.  I will retain them for larger venues of 300+ Guests.

For all other small and medium gigs, I am planning on using the  S1 Pro’s.  You can't beat them; the sound, weight, battery power, the bluetooth are such a game changer.  I love these speakers.

With the proceeds of the sale what should I get?

Option 1:
Chain them together
SPREAD THEM OUT so the coverage of the venue’s room is greater (perhaps one in each corner?)
Put the loudspeakers where you need the sound.

Option 2:
Chain them together
Place them NEAR the original set of S1’s (either stacked or side-by side)
Putting two S1 Pro systems side-by-side doesn't do much for you. For better results "Put the loudspeakers where you need the sound."

Option 3:
Get ONE (1) Bose F1 Powered Subwoofer $1200
Use it in high pass mode with the original set of S1’s
Run the system as a 3 piece system
This works really well. I've done it and like the result.
At this point your up around 90 pounds (55 for F1 subwoofer and 32 for the S1 Pro systems).  You're in the same neighborhood as one L1 Model 1S. 
If you're running mono - then it's a coin-toss.
If you're running stereo - two S1 Pro systems with an F1 Subwoofer is a wonderful stereo solution.

Option 4

What would you do?

I haven't heard the Behringer so I can't comment on the sound.

Running two subwoofers can lead to some interesting interactions. That's why we often recommend that you put subwoofers together. Using a single F1 Subwoofer avoids that potential problem.

See pages 9-10 in this article: Everything you wanted to know about subwoofers

ST

DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

What I would do...

First I would stay away from the Behringer products... I have had (in my younger years) lots of bad luck with that brand.

Personally like option 1, since it would off lots of flexibility. As far as needing more bass, I would use your model 1s system and forget about the idea of using the F1 sub or other external subs... although it can be done it is not optimal for sound reproduction. When I tried using the F1 sub with the S1’s the sound was OK, but the system lacked headroom on the S1 side. Basically if you need more volume use a bigger set up like your Model L1 1s/B2 system. 

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Just like everything else, the quality of Behringer gear in the early days before the Chinese improved their production processes were sometimes "hit and miss".

But lately I've found their quality has improved.  Like almost everything else made by robot in the massive factories in China, it's either designed well or now and either works or doesn't.

My latest experience has been with my Behringer 1002b mixer which has worked well, sounds clean and has been reliable at many gigs over the last couple of years.

Harry@SoundEvents
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

I currently run your option 4 for my small dj system. Very happy with the results. I run the S1 pros over the subs on poles, not optimal as coupling the subs would be but convienient as I don't need speaker stands. Have had no quality issues with the Behringer subs, the system sounds really great. 

I also use 2 L1 compacts with the behringer subs coupled under my dj booth, I really like the combination.

I don't currently own a F1 Sub, would be curious to give it a try for sure.

I like the smaller systems (s1 pros with small subs) for smaller venues or some outdoor venues that have DB restrictions, very common in my area. The systems help keep the sound more focused in the reception area. The longer throw L1 model 2s can drift sound into adjacent properties causing complaints and unhappy venue owners.

Option 4
andiviedo
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 3, 2018

Hola Wireless DJ.

Yo uso actualmente la configuración 3 (2 S1 Pro + 1 F1 Sub) es muy imprecionante la calidad de sonido que proporciona, la sensacion es igual a la de escuchar un PA para un gran concierto en estadio de fútbol. Obviamente que a una potencia proporcional a la que puede brindar el S1 Pro, eso esta claro.  A mi me gusta mas sin el filtro de paso alto. Ya que el sonido de graves que proporciona el S1 Pro no es el mismo que el F1 Sub y entre los dos se complementan muy bien. Cuando hay que exigir un poco a los S1 Pro si es bueno activar el paso alto. 

Espero te sirva mi humilde experiencia.  Abrazo. 

Andy 

KingBiscuit
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 16, 2015

I don't have personal experience with Behringer products, but know people who have.  A good friend has an L1 M2 with B2 bass and T1.  He hosts a couple of open mics and needed more channels than the T1.  A couple of years ago, he bought a Behringer X Air 18 channel mixer which he runs directly to the L1 base.  He absolutely loves this set-up.  I believe he now uses this mixer for his solo gigs.   After a couple of years of being used 3 or 4 times a week, the X Air is still going strong with no issues.

I've been thinking of selling my L1 M2 rig and buying a second S1 along with an X Air.  If I need a monitor, buy a third S1.  I think this would be a great PA for the venues I normally play.

DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

It seem like some how we ended in the weeds here. I didn’t want my comments to spur on a “let’s defend Behringer” thread... when I made my recommendations. The original question that was stated was...

What would YOU do... so I replied.

You are all intitaled to your own opinions... I just personally am not a fan of Behringer products... let’s move on please.