matttaul
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 26, 2016

S1 sounds terrible

I picked up my S1 yesterday and so far it is the worst sounding speaker I have ever owned. I have a full Mackie DLM main and monitor setup a Bose L1 compact, a T1 and 2 L1 classics. I set up at a small restaurant and positioned the speaker in the kicked back position next to me. It sounds like to speaker array isn’t even working. I used my T1 with very disappointing results also. Completely muddy. Recorded music even sounds horrible. I play a Taylor 710 ce and use a SM 58 and have 30 years of experience playing live and running sound.  Unless someone comes up with a silver bullet mine is likely going to be returned.

8 REPLIES 8
Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Re: S1 sounds terrible

It sounds like the three tweeters are not working. When turned up too loud there is a lot of port noise, but I've never yet needed that much volume, even when using a battery powered Behringer Xenix 1002B mixer to run three microphones and four acoustic electric instruments through it in the tilt back mode including a Carlo Robelli u-bass. It takes extra attention to gain staging since we have to use active preamplifier D.I. boxes to utilize the 1/4" inputs of the mixer board at the same time as the XLR microphones on the same channels. 

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

This is a video mini review I did with mine earlier this week using I heart Radio from an Android LG L22C TracFone playing BlueTooth through channel 3 of my Bose S1 Pro. I only use the LG L22C as a "tablet" on WiFi. I bought it at Fry's on a coupon code sale for $9.99. My wife was out with her girlfriends and this was louder than I normally would play it on our SoCal property. 

https://youtu.be/pkwwsubHWjk

matttaul
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 26, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Volume was definitely not the issue. I was playing a very small room at conversational dinner crowd levels. When i used bluetooth to play spotify through chanel three i had to pull all of the lows out to even have an intelligible sound. My nylon string and steel string guitars were truly horrific and similar to your prerecorded music, vocals were way overprocessed and boxy sounding. The portability is not worth the sacrifice in  quality. I will return the S1 and stick with my L1 compact for solo and duo shows. It sounds 100x better. Really shame. I badly wanted the S1 to be something special. Its a great idea and a bad execution, unless mine is defective. 

Simon Patrick
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

Matthew A Taul posted:

Thanks for the reply. Volume was definitely not the issue. I was playing a very small room at conversational dinner crowd levels. When i used bluetooth to play spotify through chanel three i had to pull all of the lows out to even have an intelligible sound. My nylon string and steel string guitars were truly horrific and similar to your prerecorded music, vocals were way overprocessed and boxy sounding. The portability is not worth the sacrifice in  quality. I will return the S1 and stick with my L1 compact for solo and duo shows. It sounds 100x better. Really shame. I badly wanted the S1 to be something special. Its a great idea and a bad execution, unless mine is defective. 

Sounds like your S1 Pro is defective.  I have both the L1 Compact and the S1 Pro and perform solo acoustic with and SM 58 and a Simon and Patrick acoustic with Quantum pickup and the S1 sounds even better than my L1 to my ears.  Hope you get the situation fixed and give the S1 Pro another shot.

matttaul
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 26, 2016

Maybe i can A/B mine with another one at the store. I love bose products and hope it can be resved. Its a beatuful little package. 

PZ
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2012

The compact is larger, has more array speakers and a bigger woofer. Especially because of the woofer size it produces more bass while the S1 has more low mids. Otherwise i think the sound like family members.

That is very obvious with prerecorded music. Vocals and guitar don't produce much low end so they sound quite close on both speakers.

I have my S1 only since a few days so I'm not yet very experienced but I think in room with reflective surfaces the S1 can have more problems compared to the compact due to the exaggerated low mids (or higher bass if you want so). Especially if placed near a corner! That will produce some (more) mud.

In such a room speaker placement can help a lot. And a master EQ!!! But there is none. I really hope Bose finds a way to place an EQ into the app. Because lifting the S1 up on a stand could improve something in your situation but then the automatic EQ settings change and will produce even more lows.

You really should compare your S1 to another one. Or to your compact in a different environment. The compact is just fuller - of course you have to consider the size of the S1. If there is such a huge difference your S1 seems to be broken.

All the best

Peter

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

I find this disappointing sound surprising given the various experiences expressed on this forum along with my own experience with the S1. Something is going on here with this unit and would recommend trying another. Of course, a “good” sound is by nature very subjective. 

We’ve found the S1 sounds quite nice and to be a good alternative to our larger L1M2 system for smaller venues or outdoors where there’s no power available or the power is risky due to questionable power generators. 

Certainly, the S1 is no L1, but we still find it inherits the quality Bose sound. 

joelparkerhenderson
Participant
Registered since

Mar 3, 2021

I have the same issue: brand new Bose S1 Pro all base, no mids, no treble. The problem was diagnosed as a total failure of the Bose speaker, and necessitated a return and refund.