PZ
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2012

S1 update problems

Hi,

I got a S1 yesterday and wanted to update the speaker today. The speaker connects to my Surface computer, firmware is recognised (5.07) but when I want to update I get the message "we lost connection".

Any ideas?

Thank you

Peter

23 REPLIES 23
Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Re: S1 update problems

Are you using Internet Explorer or the Microsoft Edge browaer?

PZ
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2012

i tried it with Firefox and Internet Explorer.

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

It worked for me using Windows 7 on a laptop PC with Chrome. Nothing would work using my iPad. So I suspect that the surface, having tablet features vs a vanilla PC, might be your issue. If you can, I would try the update with a straight up PC. The Bose Updater seems to like very vanilla tech.

Also, some folks had issues with their USB cable. Some cables are not standard, this is common in cables that are shipped with items for charging that don’t require data transfer. 

See S1 Firmware Update for some more info.

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I updated my Bose S1 Pro on my Lenovo Windows 10 PC using Internet Explorer. I also update my Garmin Nuvi navigation on this same PC, as my Dell Windows 10 netbook will not update it on any USB port. I suspect my netbook works very much similar to a tablet PC.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Peter,

Do you have some kind of anti-virus program running (other than Windows Defender - which should not be a problem)?

Please try Google Chrome.

What kind of Surface do you have?

I'd very surprised if the issue is your Surface. I have just about every version of Surface, and only the original Surface RT would be a problem - but that one probably wouldn't even start the process.

ST

PZ
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2012

Thank you guys!!!

I will try to solve that issue step by step according to your instructions. Cable, PC, Google Chrome. There is only one computer in my house that uses Chrome and I will try that. I will never install that software on my other computers.

Many thanks once more!

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Given that the message mentions a connection, as you outline, I suspect it might be a simple matter of a cable being not of the correct type.

Keep in mind, there are 2 different types of micro USB cables, data and charging. Data cables have additional pins (4 if I remember correctly) that accommodate data flow whereas charging cables only use 2 pins where the other two are disabled. Furthermore, it’s impossible to tell one from the other just by looking at it. So be sure you get a data cable.

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Good point. A lot of micro USB cables that come with bluetooth speakers and other devices are charge only cables. I have found good data cables at dollar stores. They say "Charge & Sync" on the packaging.

PZ
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2012

I'm coming back just to inform that the problem is solved and my S1 has the latest firmware. I don't know what the problem was but with another computer, another browser and a new cable everything is fine. I still got an error message but this time at the end of the update and the software tells me the S1 is up to date and the apps works.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out & all the best

Peter