cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julian8023
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2016

S1 with A1 packlite power amp and 2 B1....

Just wonder if A1 packlite power amp + B1 bass module connected to the S1 Pro would work for that extra bass sound if needed? Would this combination work? Is it worth investing in A1 packlite amp (I do own L1 model II with 2 B1 bass modules already) to increase the bass frequency?

any suggestions greatly appreciated...

26 REPLIES 26
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: S1 with A1 packlite power amp and 2 B1....

Hi Julian8023,

This is an interesting question. People having been asking basically the same thing about using a B1s with a PackLite - with the L1 Compact.

The problem is - the line out of the L1 Compact (and the S1 Pro) is full range. The reason the Packlite + B1s combination works is - the line out of your L1 Model II is 40 Hz - 200 Hz and it's EQ'd specifically to work with a B1 or B2.

To get good results with the S1 Pro, you need a crossover or low-pass filter between the S1 Pro and the PackLite + B1s. The B1s don't sound great running a full range signal. They were designed to work (only) with the L1®.

Do you have a crossover? Then try it:

S1 Pro Line Out -> crossover -> PackLite -> B1s

If you don't have a crossover and you're curious, you can run the S1 Line Out to the L1 Model II Power Stand Analog input. Connect the B1s, and remove the Cylindrical Radiator®s (don't worry - you won't harm anything).  This gives you the equivalent of the Packlite with a good crossover and EQ tweaks.

ST

Reference: Crossover with Line Out

Julian8023
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2016

Hi ST,

thanks for your prompt reply, as always very informative and full of comprehensive advise. I will try your suggestion re: direct connection from S1 to the base of L1 (minus the Cylindrical Radiators). Would you be able to suggest any cost efficient yet good crossover or low-pass filter unit available?

cheers....

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Julian8023
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2016

Thank you ST....

Julian8023
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2016

Ok, have tried the direct connection from S1 to L1 base (no cylinder speakers attached) with 2 x B1 and sounds awesome. Now I am bit confused because the “full range” out from S1 was feeding the analog input of the L1 base without any crossover or special EQ applied? That’s not supposed to work well, right? Yet L1 has one big advantage over PackLite A1 amp without any type of crossover - at least in that combination - it has a volume control knob, which I think would essential to balance correctly sheet  amount of low frequency/high frequency ratio. But with the L1 base + 2 x B1 scenario it defeats the purpose of portability and I might s welltake cylindrical speakers... so back again to A1 with dedicated Rolls SX21 crossover would be a better option? Not an easy and clear cut what would be the best way to enhance the bottom-end of the S1 - I am a keyboard player who doubles with a left hand bass part and needs to deliver a decent low frequency as well as a all the other ones.

Any more suggestions you can throw my way, I will really appreciate that... 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Julian8023,

When you use the L1 Model II Power Stand, the B1s are getting benefit of the internal crossover and EQ treatment. An external crossover with the A1 PackLite could give the right frequency range, but it won't have the proprietary EQ. And that does make a difference.

The reason I suggested you try the L1 Model II Power Stand was to give you a sense of what might be possible (actually better than) with an external crossover and the A1 PackLite amp.

For your left-hand bass on the keyboard - can you split the output on the keyboard so the lower registers go to a separate output? If so, that could be the equivalent of the external crossover. You could connect the PackLite amp and B1(s) to the keyboard.

What do you think?

ST

Julian8023
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2016

Hi ST,

I like your ‘outside the square’ thinking, although there is more than my main keyboard (Roland RD2000 which incidentally has an option to route any specific sound to the extra/seperate outputs) gear “competing” for the low frequency region in our mainly duo setup: 2 more Korg keyboards (with often a deep bas sound patches), also a ROLI keyboard(s), Roland TR8 Drum Performer and 2 x DrumJam iPad percussion app for iPad (x2). All play live by 2 musicians/1 singer. All mix goes into recently bought Bose T8s mixer plus (If needed) augumented version with 2 x T1s when everything runs in stereo.

Drum track/percussion app(s) are sounding fantastic via double L1 Model II with 2 x B1 on each site, but footprint of the L1 Power Base is quite large - especially with 2 of them - and we have just purchased S1 Pro for a smaller, more intimate gigs scenario. While S! Pro is indeed fantastic sounding portable PA, it can’t deliver that low bottom end without distortion (already established fact for us), PackLite amp A! Plus possibly crossover suggested by you, withs 2 x B1s would be an ideal solution because of that such incredibly small size of the unit, yet possibly capable of delivering requaired bottom frequency “punch”.

Problem is, A1 is not the most popular Bose item they are offering, and we do not have an option to tested before buying it, and that would be a  special order. All Bose dealerships saying we can get it for you, yet A1 is not currently in stock. 

So I need to do as much research as possible, before making the decision whether it is worth spending more hard earned cash on yet another piece of gear.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Julian8023,

In your shoes, the next time you're using the S1 Pro in a situation where you would use the crossover+A1+2xB1 for augmented low end - take the Model II Power Stand and 2 B1s. Try it out.

Yes, the Power Stand is 22 pounds heavier than the A1, but this experience will give you experience with your best-case scenario in terms of sound.  It will likely sound better than what you'd get with the crossover+A1+2B1.

Okay - what will you learn from this?
Well, you'll find out if having two B1s augmenting the S1 Pro gives you the sound you need at a gig.

I have been down this road, augmenting the sound of the L1 Compact with the A1 and using the T1 to serve as the crossover.  By the time I had gone to all the trouble to do that, I realized that I was happier using the L1 Model II instead of the L1 Compact with the B1s. It took less time to set up the L1 Model II, than to hookup my alternative solution for the L1 Compact.

I've got the S1 Pro - and it's great. But when I need more than it was engineered to give, I take the L1 Compact or the L1 Model II.

ST

Julian8023
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 24, 2016

Thanks again TS, that is a good advise, although I think I know the answer already: it will sound fantastic! I’ve tried that combination at home, in my studio and it did the job brilliantly, no doubt. Could you tell me more about how did you use T1 as a crossover - particular settings - as i’m more curious with your idea, again totally “outside the box” and innovative as usual...

Cheers

Julian8023