Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Screech/Squeal

Hi shadow9999,

I'm sorry it's got to go back to Bose, but they'll take care of you.

Thanks for staying in touch.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

Re: Screech/Squeal

Update - Back in February, Bose swapped out the T8S mixer for me. Unfortunately, up until just recently, we were unable to get together and use the system due to COVID-19. We got together a few days ago and began rehearsal. We were running three vocal channels, two acoustic guitar channels, one bass channel, and one back track channel. Very similar to the set up I originally detailed back in January. 

The system was sounding worse than ever. Terrible digital distortion at low volume with hints of that awful screech during louder peaks in the music. All trims were solid green, including the trim on the L1 floor unit. It was so bad, we couldn't even rehearse with it. Fortunately we have another digital mixer which we connected up and used for the rest of the rehearsal with no issues. Prior to doing that, we tested a few things. Changed the inputs around, changed vocal mics, changed guitars, virtually every change you could think of. In all cases, the distortion was there. The only thing that stopped it was when one channel, it didn't matter which one, stopped playing. So if one vocal stopped, one guitar stopped, the back track stopped, etc. the distortion was gone. Very strange as it seems like an overall cumulative gain thing. Again remember, nothing was flashing red. All trims including the L1 were solid green at all times. Master volume was at 9 o'clock and trim in L1 was at 12 o'clock.

I did some reading on this forum and found some information about digital distortion relating to corrupt scenes. Being that it was back in February when I received the replacement mixer from Bose, I can't remember if I upgraded the firmware then created the scene we are using or if I created the scene and then upgraded. According to the information I read, the later could cause a corrupt scene and cause the distortion. So I performed a factory reset and recreated the scene.

In two days, we are getting together again and I will post the results. In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions or insights, please let me know.  Thanks!!