Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Second Compact Or No?

To jump or not to jump?

I have 2 L1 M1's and 4 B1's.
My main rig is a Denon mixer and controller. The sound is great with one or two L1's,1 L1 or 1 Compact.

I also have a Ceremony rig which is also my backup and small event rig. It has a T1 mixer. I use it with 1 L1 M1 or 1 Compact.

I have one Compact I use for Ceremonies and the occasional very small event. (We sold our second Compact with our rental business a year ago.)
I also have one of those coveted Energy subs which I have never used with the Compact. It currently is connected to my home theater system.

We are relocating to Venice FL in the fall and I plan to slow down to doing half the weddings we currently do (from 25 per year to 10 or 12).

However, I am pondering the idea of doing more small events (birthdays, garden parties, anniversaries, etc). I'm talking less money but less time planning, less schlepping and a lot less aggravation.

One L1 M1 and 2 B1's are heavier than 2 Compacts and an Energy sub but the same number of pieces and it is a bunch more versatile. OK, no stereo.

While I am pondering picking up another Compact, I have no intention of spending another 3 or 4 hundred bucks on another Energy sub and the means to transport two of them safely.

Soooo,
Should I invest in a second Compact or should I simply run with my single Compact and/or single or double L1 M1, which would adequately cover any event I anticipate doing.

More logic and less emotion, please.
13 REPLIES 13
proflowery
Registered since

May 11, 2011

Re: Second Compact Or No?

Lou-

As you know, I'm a relative Bose newbie so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I started out with Dual Compacts and was satisfied with their performance even though I did eventually buy an L1/M2 (I think it's called "Bose envy").

I still love my compacts and know that eventually, I will do the same as you and down size to just using them at some point. I'm convinced I could have continued on with just the Compacts and had no regrets. I've performed with dual compacts at swing dances, ballroom dances, salsa socials and a number of private parties both indoors and outdoors and never had a complaint about the sound. Occasionally someone wants more volume but these are the same people that want more volume even from the my L1/M2 w/2 B1's. So with these people, I wink and nod, and act like I'm fidgeting around with the volume and just leave the controls alone if I'm already at max output.

My experience tells me that if the compacts are gain staged properly, they can do a more than adequate job of entertaining 90-125 people even without a T1 and sub. Add a T1 and at least one energy sub under the table and you will fill that "Rumble need" some people have plus gain a little bit more overall headroom with enough ummph to satisfy a small crowd.

Just be prepared to initially feel like you are "under powered" given that you are going from dual L1'S down to dual compacts.

My 2 cents... Eek
edwitles
Registered since

Dec 4, 2005

There is a venue that sits atop a residential community. Very strict rules concerning what to play and most of all, bass. Well, I showed up w/ just two Compacts and that was more than plenty sound for the crowd of 100+. And the venue director never saw them before - and was very impressed. Hopefully, that will turn into referrals. Love my L1s. Love my Compacts. Even, love my beloved JBL EON 10" powered. It's options and having tools for the job.
Dance Host
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

Hi Ed,

I had the JBL powered 10s for awhile and there was no comparison to my L1 M2. Granted I have not used a compact.
bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

Lou,
I have 2 Compacts and 1 L1M1 with 2 B1s. I absolutely love the sound from 2 Compacts. I only use 1 Compact for my Ceremonies. I have ran (for a very short time) my Compacts with an external crossover and 2 18" subwoofers. Although I did find a sweet spot around 140hz and removing most of the mids from the EQ curve. I didn't feel safe with this combination.
You asking about 2 Compacts...I would definetly get a second Compact for the your small setups. With 2 you can run stereo if needed.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Thanks for the input.
I'm going to wait until we relocate before I buy anything. But a lot to ponder here.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

Lou,

I have two Compacts and one L1 Model II w/ 2 bass bins.

I use one Compact for up to 75 people. I use two compacts for 75-90 people. For more than 90, I use the L1 Model II w/ the B1's.

I think you'll be fine using the Compact for 50-60 and the L1 MII for everything over 60. Don't spend more money when you don't have to!
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Lou, I own two Compacts & the only time I use the both for DJ work is at outdoor events like car shows or anything needing a small PA.
I like the dual Compact set=up for these types of events because it fits under a tent very well (easy-up 10x10) & if it rains I have a plan. If it rains I can take the extensions out & put them up on the table & keep the show going. Now if the rain starts getting even worse & I think it might get my equipment wet, I just cover the table/DJ set-up with a tarp. This has actually happened to me & I managed to keep everything dry.

Besides that another good reason to have another Compact is for a back-up. If one goes down you will have the other one till it gets fixed. This is the original reason I bought a second one & discovered the outdoor application a few months later.Wink

The last reason to get another is it expands your tool box & it gives you more options & options are good.

So I say if you have the cash, having a second Compact around wouldn't be a bad idea at all... just my 2 cents.
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

I would have to agree with all of JD's comments about a second L1 Compact.

They are great outdoors and easy to protect should the weather turn bad.
One other point is that they are great for "L" shaped rooms or separate rooms where you need additional coverage, especially with a wireless connection.

I have a once a month gig where I play indoors and place a wireless unit outside at the Patio Bar for the smokers.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Media makes an excellent point but so do JD and Joel.

If I buy the second compact,it won't be for a while as I want to evaluate my business after we relocate in October.

Now in my 60's, I'm not sure how much effort I am willing to expend reestablishing my business in a brand new region.

I might just go very part time and, if so, I simply can't justify a second Compact.