Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MColin28
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2016

Shure KSM9 and Vocal Pedal - Not getting phantom to mic T4s

Hi all.  Recently I got the Shure KSM9 Vocal Mic and I plug my current mic setup into a TC Helicon Voicetone Correct XT ( https://www.sweetwater.com/sto...xEAYYASABEgJFKPD_BwE 

That said, the Phantom 48v power isn't going from the T4s through the pedal to the mic.  Can someone help?  I usually play in a duo acoustic act.  Can I just get an adapter to connect to mic, go through the pedal, then to the board?...something like this?  https://www.sweetwater.com/sto...phantom-power-supply

Need help for a gig Friday.  Thanks!

-Matt

11 REPLIES 11
ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: Shure KSM9 and Vocal Pedal - Not getting phantom to mic T4s

Yes you can get use an external phantom power supply.  (don't forget extra cable).

MColin28
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2016

Chet posted:

Yes you can get use an external phantom power supply.  (don't forget extra cable).

Is this this simplest way?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Matt (MColin28),

The simplest way is to turn on phantom power on the TC-Helicon VoiceTone Correct XT.

Here is an excerpt from the owners manual.

You can turn off the phantom power on the T4S.

Does that help?
ST

rycowan
Collaborator
Registered since

May 12, 2020

ST beat me to the punch with his reply. I’d plug the mic into the XT and use its phantom power for the mic, and then send the XT’s output to the T4. Its a line signal out of the XT, so you wouldn’t need the phantom power on the T4. Since the XT is providing warmth and compression in addition to the pitch correction to your vocal, I would set the mic channel FLAT on the T4 — rather than using a KMS9 or other Tonematch setting. I assume the guitar channel is just a clean pass thru, used for pitch correction reference, so you could go ahead and use a guitar Tonematch preset for that channel, and then output from the T4 to your PA or amp. 

MColin28
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2016

Awesome guys! Thank you! I had no idea the Voicetone had the phantom power option. Makes perfect sense! I dug all over the internet looking for the phantom for the pedal. Unreal. 

So then, I think you answered but to make sure, do not use any tonematch settings on the T4s? Given the warmth and so on applied, no need to do a tonematch?

rycowan
Collaborator
Registered since

May 12, 2020

You hold down the warmth and manual buttons simultaneously on the XT to switch phantom power on and off. A red light should show when phantom power is on. As for tonematch settings — you won’t hurt anything by experimenting, but in general it’s a bad idea to add processing on top of processing. You’re more likely to get a muddy mess. I’d just switch the T4 flat and let the XT handle the EQ in this application. Later, should you find you no longer need the pitch correction, I think you’ll be surprised by how much better the mic sounds plugged directly into the T4 with an appropriate Tonematch selected. 

rycowan
Collaborator
Registered since

May 12, 2020

If you wanted to experiment with Tonematch settings, send the signal from the XT as dry as possible, that is, turn the warmth OFF and send the pitch-corrected vocal to the T4 with as little processing as possible. You can add reverb and delay on the T4. I don’t recall seeing your mic on the T4’s presets, but try some of the other condenser presets for comparison. But the flat setting is aways a good starting place. 

MColin28
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2016

rycowan posted:

If you wanted to experiment with Tonematch settings, send the signal from the XT as dry as possible, that is, turn the warmth OFF and send the pitch-corrected vocal to the T4 with as little processing as possible. You can add reverb and delay on the T4. I don’t recall seeing your mic on the T4’s presets, but try some of the other condenser presets for comparison. But the flat setting is aways a good starting place. 

I ONLY use it for pitch correction. I know it’s a crutch.....but it provides me confidence. Not sure how much it affects actual outcome tho....?

MColin28
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2016

MColin28 posted:
rycowan posted:

I ONLY use it for pitch correction. I know it’s a crutch.....but it provides me confidence. Not sure how much it affects actual outcome tho....?

Was actually thinking of keeping the pedal dry and using ONLY the pitch correction. Then using the Neumann preset. We’ll see!