aculadd
Registered since

May 27, 2012

Simple stage lighting

I'm starting to play out after many years and would like to figure out some simple stage lighting for my solo acoustic act w/ sometimes duo.Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks. Bruce
28 REPLIES 28
Bill_McGoldrick
Registered since

Oct 26, 2009

Re: Simple stage lighting

I use a number of things but I just picked up a Venue Lighting ThinPar 64 for my duo and it is very nice, less than $90.00 YSD.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ve...06866171-i1954710.gc
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Auladd,

This is a post from a November 2011 and the light I bought back then.

If I lost or broke that light, I would get another one. It has served me well for solo, duo, and tight groups of four. It has a beam angle of 40° (wider than the spotlight LEDs I considered). You may not need that for your solo gigs. I have appreciated it for the duo and larger set ups.

Prices have dropped and you can get them for less that $125 USD. Here's an example

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Picked up one of these recently for my solo and duo shows.

It weighs about 7 pounds and I use it with a lightweight Manfrotto stand.

--?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--

I opted for the flat panel light because it had a wider dispersion than the par can spotlight LED lights I considered. It's also really easy to pack. It fits in a flat case I had lying around.

I don't use DMX or any of the sound activated programs. I just find them too distracting.

The stand was a hold-over from another life. It weighs about 6 pounds. Folded up, it fits in an L1 bag and it goes up to 12 feet.

Source: Lights - what are you using?

Mind you, as the prices of this kind of technology have dropped, you might have more flexibility with two of the smaller lights like the one Bill is using (see post above).
JFd
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 22, 2008

Bonjour Aculadd,

The answer is not obvious since one person's easy is another person's nightmare of complexity. Here is my setup:

- Front lights: Chauvet 4-BAR. This kit comes with its own stand and case;
- Back lights: 2 x Chauvet SlimPAR 38. I usually have these sitting on top of the L1 tower using a simple frame and velcro (they weigh next to nothing) but sometimes I find places to hang them at the venue. Backlights are the difference between a performer that stands out from the background and a "flat" image.

These lights are all DMX controllable and I use the following to define and control the lighting "presets":

- iPad or iPhone;
- Alcorn McBride Inc.'s LightingPad app.
(I chose this app for my friend because it has a very reasonable price and it is straightforward. I have been keeping the lights installed at my friend's Café and he now can use the lights even when I am not present. I personally use Luminair for iPad. It is extremely powerful but at a cost...);
- Apple AirPort Express (any WiFi router will do) to allow WiFi control of the lights;
- DMX King's eDMX1 Ethernet DMX controller. This is a small box that translates instructions from the software, through the WiFi, into DMX instructions into the lights.

I also use two wireless DMX transmitter/receivers to save having to run a XLR cable from the front lights to the back lights.

Without the iPad or iPhone, the setup above costs just under 1,000$ (add 140$ if you want to replace LightingPad with Luminair...) It is very compact, easy to install and can be controlled from the stage. Initial setup of the WiFi and eDMX can be a hassle. Get friendly with a computer whizz...

I previously used Enttec's DMXIS, but it requires a laptop to operate. The initial setup is easier and it worked very well; I used ordinary Boss FS-5U foot switches to change lighting presets. I am looking to sell it now that I have the other system Smile.

I hope this helps. As I said, everyone has a different definition of "simple"...

Cheers,
jivauk
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

Like ST, we opted for the flat panel LEDs approach.

Here's a link to what we bought.

The panels can be used separately, as a pair, on the floor, stand-mounted, individually or tandem DMX controlled. They have a very wide dispersion angle (120 degrees), so provide a colour wash rather than spot lighting. We opted for the full package (modified to add foot controller), and everything fits in the included bag.

The theory is great but we've had little opportunity to put it all to the test, and it does add another level of complexity to our setup.
aculadd
Registered since

May 27, 2012

Thank you all for the suggestions. Bill, how do you have the Thin Par 64 set up?Areyou hanging it or on the floor? Which is better? Also ST, where do you place your RGB panel in your set up?
JFd,right now that's more then I want to use. Thanks. Bruce
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Bruce,

quote:
Originally posted by aculadd:
Thank you all for the suggestions. Bill, how do you have the Thin Par 64 set up?Areyou hanging it or on the floor? Which is better? Also ST, where do you place your RGB panel in your set up?
JFd,right now that's more then I want to use. Thanks. Bruce

Here's a lo-fi picture showing how I typically set up the light. This was well before the show and most of what you see on the stage would have been cleared away by show time. The house lights were much brighter than they would later be during the show.

The light panel was not on when I took this.

Sorry for the poor quality - and the mirror ball was from a theme party held at this venue a few days before the shot. It was not a permanent part of the decor.
aculadd
Registered since

May 27, 2012

Thanks ST. I see.
Bill_McGoldrick
Registered since

Oct 26, 2009

Acculad, I use the TheinPar64 right on the floor straight up fading from color to color and I like to have ti right up against the ceiling. I am also probably going to buy another one.
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

quote:
I use a number of things but I just picked up a Venue Lighting ThinPar 64 for my duo and it is very nice, less than $90.00 YSD.

Hi Bill

I may order one for our duo....where do you mount it or do you just put it on the floor in front of you?

Thanks!
Aj