cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice
Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community!

This is a community for Live Musicians, DJs & KJs, Entertainers of all kinds, and Sound Engineers to discuss Bose Professional S1, L1, F1, and Tonematch systems.

The Bose Community for Bose speakers, headphones, audio sunglasses and more is no longer available. If you need assistance with other Bose products, such as the Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Soundbar 900, QuietComfort 45, etc., please visit our support site. Please note that threads created for non-Bose Professional products will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill_McGoldrick
Registered since

Oct 26, 2009

Re: Simple stage lighting

I have only had it on a couple of gigs thus far and I have used it behind us. The places I play I can very rarely have any lights in front of us, they would be stepped on etc.
aculadd
Registered since

May 27, 2012

Bill, thanks for the reply.With the Venue Thin Par 64, can you adjust the intensity? I'm wondering whether you think it might be too bright on the floor in front of me and uplighting? Also ST, is the flat panel LED adjustable as far as intensity? Also, can it be used on the floor in front and uplighting me? Thanks for the info. Bruce
Bill_McGoldrick
Registered since

Oct 26, 2009

I think that you may be able to adjust the intensity, you seem to be able to change many paramteres, but I have not done it yet. But out of the box, yes it would be way to bright.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Bruce,

Here is a link to the American DJ Profile RGB Product Page where you can see pictures and videos of the light panel in action. Here is a link to the owner's manual .

I don't use any of the automated programs or a controller because my needs are pretty simple. I just want people to be able to see the performers. Although lighting can certainly add to a show, I'm still working at the level of basic illumination. So I set the level manually. It's not quite as straight-forward as turning a dimmer, but it's not terrible. I set the intensity for Red, Green, Blue outputs, (hence RGB in the name of the product). The settings go from 0-255. Depending on how bright I need the light to be, I usually set things between 150-200, (same setting for all colours). The result: light is basically white, and the intensity is adjustable.

The technology is constantly changing (improving and prices are dropping). On revisiting this, if I had to replace the light, I'd probably do a little research to see if there was something newer. This one is fine, and the retail price has dropped by 30% since I got it, but there may be newer products now.

When I first started shopping, I bought and subsequently discarded some inexpensive lights that were meant to be mounted on a wall, or could sit on a floor. They would probably have been fine as accent lights, but they were both too bright in the eyes, and yet not bright enough to fully illuminate the performers.

That sounds contradictory, but at least to me, this is fairly typical of LED lights. They seem very intense if you look at them, but they seem not to throw as much light in term of light that is reflected back off performers.

I REALLY wanted to avoid putting lights on stands. It just seemed like just ONE MORE THING to set-up, tear-down, and carry around. I really wanted to put something compact and simple on the floor in front of the stage and be done with it.

In the end I found that using the lights on the floor betweent the performers and the audience didn't work very well for me. Fortunately I had a couple of stands kicking around for an earlier life. These are very light and fold up into a very compact package.

So that's why I have the light mounted high and out of the line of sight between the performers and the audience.

Does that help? Did you see the other discussion: Lights - what are you using??
dberch
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2019

Well, I think I've got all the above beat for simplicity sake.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ..._details_o00_s00_i00

I just got two of these. 9 Watt LED RGB with remotes. I stuck them in a pair of cheap light canisters. I've got maybe a total of $60 invested. I set one to yellow and put it on the left, set the other to white and put it on the right. Keep the yellow one a bit dimmer than the white as sort of a back-light. plug em in, turn them on with a single click on the remote. Good to go. Can adjust the brightness with a few clicks if needed.

Can't find a link to the canisters I use. any small PAR can would work.

Hope this helps,
David
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi David,

How do you mount the canisters?
dberch
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2019

HI ST, I don't mount then on anything. The came mounted to little floor platforms. Just set 'em on the floor. Or a chair or anything that's handy. Would be easy enough to attach them to mic stands or something similar, but I don't need two more mic stands to lug around.

All my gear needs to fit in a little 2-door coupe. The lights fit in my tip bucket! Can't get any simpler than that.
dberch
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2019

Here's a pic showing one of the lights on top of my B1 sub. The other is just out of picture at lower left. As it got darker they showed up fine.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/...7617_991573000_n.jpg
aculadd
Registered since

May 27, 2012

Well, I did read the Discussion "Lights, what are you using?". Thanks for directing me there,ST. There are so many different lights to use. When I saw the pictures of JFd with his S/U ,it looked really good, but don't want to do that much right now.So, I sent away for the panel and a stand like you have ST, and I'll see how I like it when It gets here.It's a process. Thanks, Bruce
dberch
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2019

I added a couple more pics. Did they get lost?