Registered since

Sep 30, 2013

Single L1 M2 B2 cutting out

Hi. New Bose L1 user here.

My setup on Saturday night:

Single L1 M2 B2
Direct output from Rane 62 mixer
Serato Scratch Live 2.4.3
DVJ-1000 decks (irrelevant, but in case you're wondering)

On certain tracks, the audio would drop out for a quick second and then back on.
It was like I took the channel fader and dropped it real fast.
This would happen every 20-30 seconds on some tracks during dinner and dancing.

Here's what I tried:

1. toggled between stereo and mono in SSL
2. added a Mackie 1204VLZ between Rane62 and L1
3. checked to see if cables were connected securely
4. checked to see if speakers where seated correctly.

After all that, still nothing.

I did not try to play those specific tracks again because I was in the middle of the gig.

one more thing: Serato never crashed or showed signs of stuttering or freezing during playback on REL or INT mode.

BTW, these speakers sound AMAZING.
8 REPLIES 8
proflowery
Registered since

May 11, 2011

Re: Single L1 M2 B2 cutting out

Sounds like "Dirty Power"

Are you certain that you were on a dedicated circuit? I had a similar issue last summer at an outdoor wedding.

I was placed on the outdoor covered deck and was told that the plug I was going to use would run to my location via an extension cord from one of the front bedrooms. Off and on during the day, I kept getting drop outs from my L1 during various songs until the sun went down. Lo and behold, what was different now that the sun had gone down? The floor mounted air conditioner in the kitchen was turned off because all of the cooking was done.

Apparently, the kitchen window outlet was on the same circuit as the front bedroom and the unit had been cycling on and off throughout the day which contributed to my power drop out. I'm thinking that unknown to you, there was something else on the circuit you were using. In that case, the only solutions would have been to turnoff the offending appliance or move your power plug to a completely different circuit. I carry a 100 foot cord in my van for just this sort of thing.
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

I'm wondering if the B-2 has any issues with this. The reason I ask is. Using the B-1 for 4 years I have never had drop out. After moving to the B-2 its probably happened about 20 times this year.

I'm not saying that this is the issue. It is something that I have noticed. Though I have thought it could be from other issues. How was your power the night you had the problems?
303dj
Registered since

Sep 30, 2013

No power issues that I can think of. It was the only thing plugged into that outlet. I don't know if it was on the same circuit as another piece of venue's equipment, but I was at the Westin Hotel and they're usually good with power. I did not have a surge strip or any sort connected to it either.

I did notice that my other L1 M2 pedestal momentarily shuts off with switching the mode on the B2 sub. This one that I had issues does not. Does it mean that it does not have the recent firmware? BTW, I do not have a T1 to check.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi 303DJ,

Are you using the blue B2 cable that came with B2?
303dj
Registered since

Sep 30, 2013

Yes. I used the blue cable.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi 303DJ,

At this point I think the best thing to do is call L1® Support and they can help you diagnose the problem and find a solution.

Call Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673 (U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 8:30 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Saturday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
Currently no support available on Sunday
303dj
Registered since

Sep 30, 2013

I called L1 support and they did note that it may have been the power.

With that in mind, I picked up a Furman PL-Pro DMC to clean up any power issues and be able to monitor the line in real-time.

BTW, just picked up my Bose L1 compact today. wohooooooo
pitcher
Registered since

Oct 23, 2013

Suggest running slightly more USB buffer. PC or mac? I had experienced sound drops but they lasted at least 4 seconds this was dirty power. Picked up a furman p-1800ar this cleared power issues. And sound drops. I did recently have a sound drop. It was weird due to the signal light was still flickering as if the base was still powering the tower. Happened twice that event. Used it twice since then and no issues. I run a mbp 17"i7 with ddj-t1. I am able to run 256 buffer with some CPU spikes. Anything lower than that is not optimal due to quick sound drops. And I like to do other things on my mbp while playing music.