tee1
Registered since

Jun 24, 2010

Solo Vocalist with mp3 backing tracks

My wife is a solo performer doing weddings, birthdays, and other functions and is currently using a B-52 Matrix which had 2 speakers and a big heavy bass box I guess with built in amp and is 750watts total. (not much of a sound guy sorry) some gigs can be around 60-150 people which the B-52 handles easily but the bloody thing is so heavy for my wife. She does some gigs at large clubs and I was wondering if the L1 Model 1 would handle these.Would love the bigger one but this stuff is about 3 times the price of conventional PA's. She plays her music via a laptop and through a mixer that has effects. We had a demo of the L1 compact in a shop in town the other day and it did seem to me like it lacked a little 'fat'. There was no mixer and therefore no effects. Would this have had much impact on the sound? I think the compact is just too small and would like some feedback on other people that have changed from a similar set up to the Bose, thoughts...
7 REPLIES 7
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Re: Solo Vocalist with mp3 backing tracks

Well, I play a variety of events: weddings, cocktail hours, receptions, parties, bbqs, etc. I use the Compact for most of it.

That being said, I do think there is more 'fat' in using my L1, which I also own. I'm recently thinking that for outdoor events I should quit being so lazy and use the L1 instead of a Compact.

I use a T1 with both the Compact and L1 and yes, it does beef up the sound in a few different ways. I also use a Digitech VL4 harmonizer and that adds more to the sound as well.

On the other hand, I have had good success on a couple of occasions by plugging a mic and a guitar directly into a Compact and those experiences remind me not to get to caught up in the 'more is more' head games that can happen to me sometimes.

I guess I believe it all works...just in different ways.
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Hi tee, an welcome to the L1 forum.

For light weight and total simplicity, the L1 Compact is the best answer.

A singer friend of mine, who does what you wife does, loves hers.
She and her husband had never owned a sound system.
He bought her a Mackie powered speaker with a stand, a mic, a mixer, and cabling...no monitor.
Neither she (nor he) could figure out how to set it up and use it properly.
Too many parts, wires, and variables.

I suggested they try the Compact, which had just come out at the time.
So within the 30-day trial period at GC, they swapped the Mackie stuff out for the Compact and never looked back.

She tells me that she takes it to her gigs and sets it up by herself, with never a problem.
She sings mostly in churches and small outdoor events of 30-100 people.

If you need more power, to cover larger audiences, the larger L1s would be better, yet somewhat more complex.
If you need reverb, add the T1 Tonematch...and some more complexity.
However, any of the L1 family of sound systems are still easier than anything else, and can be figured out pretty quickly.

About the lack of "fat"...yeah, the Compact is clean and clear, like lean meat.
It's a sound that you will find yourself warming up to as get used to really hearing yourself.
tee1
Registered since

Jun 24, 2010

Hey thanks for that. I know this system is the easiest to set up and is going to suit her well as she has just got a contract at a local Hotel to do 3 nights a week. She will be doing dinner music for this Hotel and I know it will be fine for that but still a litte nervous about how it will perform for Weddings and partys when everyone wants 80's and 90's music to dance to. Thousghts? Thanks Terence
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

You might not like my answer, but it all depends. The Compact is my choice for most venues. I've played wedding ceremonies, cocktail hours and receptions with me playing guitar and singing and occasionally using backing tracks.

I try to get a picture of the room I'm playing if it is too far to get to, or at least a description. If you get into some hotel ballrooms they can be too big for the Compact. So far the L1 has done the job but I did play a gig one time where it didn't cut it either. That one was outside with multiple tents and was going to be problematic regardless of the sound source but the L1 couldn't make it work.
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

I just discovered this site and downloaded a few tracks:

http://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/

The cool thing is, you can pick and choose what you want to leave in (drums, bass, backing vocals for example) and what you want to take out (for me, almost always the synth, piano, horns, etc.). The tracks are only between two and three bucks a piece and here's the cool thing; you can make changes even AFTER you've downloaded the tracks.

For example, I originally downloaded just the drums to Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill. I then decided to re-download them and bring in the bass on a separate track. Since the original key was in B and I wanted A, I fed the bass into my Amazing Slowdowner software and made a final copy in Audacity (free software program) and saved it to iTunes. Done and done. Well, not really...I have to learn it well enough to perform now.
voiceman
Registered since

Jan 28, 2006

Tee: The L1 will work in most ANY sized room. If you are concerned about the Compact and its limitations, go for the larger system. In a small room, when the volume is only up to 2 or 3, you will be amazed at how successfully it fills the room (or rooms!) with clean, full sound. If, late at night, it's time to rock out with loud dance music, the L1 will very capably switch gears and do the job with both power and clarity. I love mine!
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

I have two Compacts because it gives me versatility for different gigs. I recently did an anniversary party in an historic house. I was set up in one room with my MP3 big band tracks and a single Compact. It was wonderful how the Compact filled the house with my music without being too loud or blaring like conventional PA systems I have always used. For bigger gigs, I have the two Compacts with a JBL EON18 subwoofer in between running stereo. It sounds awesome and the JBL gives it that extra bass that only an 18" speaker can supply. I'm a bass player and there is nothing like an 18" speaker for "moving air" in the lower frequencies. The EON also only weighs 65 pounds, which is extraordinary for a subwoofer of that output.

As for the "falling off" people mention between the L1's and the smaller Compacts, I don't find it a problem. I hate to say this, but we musicians tend to think that our sound has to totally permeate the space we are involved in to the point of total audio dominance. In reality, 90% or more of the people who come to hear us also expect to be able to talk and carry on a conversation while we are playing. It's a social situation, not a concert. And that's why I like the Bose sound so well. You are clearly heard, but you don't have to be so loud. Some folks get it, others don't.