Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

Re: Sound bleeding through even at 0

that's the thing though....My mixer is completely at 0.

I think my signal is just too hot sinc eI was hooking it it to channel 1 and 2 which I guess from these previous post is meant for a mic??

I just ordered that pad attenuator so i will let you know if that helps when I get it.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Joe,

What output are you using on the Rane MP-2 mixer?

(Please see my most previous post above)
mikep_2
Registered since

Apr 14, 2010

And what are you connecting into channels 1 and with, xlr or 1/4"?
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

Xlr
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Joe,

From what I can see here (manual for Rane MP-2) the house outputs are ¼ inch jacks not XLR.
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

I'm using the main House output with a 1/4 inch plug to xlr
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

Have you bypassed the driverack in any of your tests? When using the L1 systems, the driverack can become eBay fodder.

If you are going 1/4" balanced (has a tip, a ring, and a sleeve) from the MAIN outputs of the Rane; and the volume control of the MAIN is all the way counter-clockwise (OFF), and the XLR cable plugs into channel one of the L1 with the trim set fully counter-clockwise to ZERO, and there is nothing connected into channel 2,3, and/or 4, and and the wired remote is NOT plugged in at all, and you are hearing bleed through, it means your mixer has issues.

You would not hear anything coming out of your Compacts because the compact does not have any gain structure underneath the input jack as does the XLR inputs of Channel one and two of the L1 Classics and/or Model 1s (about +3db I'm told).
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

OK figured out the bleeding sound.....

It was because I was hooking up to lines 1 and 2 with XLR and that was putting the L1 into Mic input mode which was just too hot!!!!

I just got the DBX Driverack 260

Here is my setup

Outputs 1 & 2 of driverack going to L1 and 2 b1's

Outputs 3 & 4 of driverack going to 2 compacts

and then I have 2 other compacts hooked up to the output throughs of the compacts

On the DBX I am able to EQ the L1 and the compacts separately.

I was able to put a limiter on the compacts so no matter how hard I try to have them peak they just barely hit red occasionally

I am going to use the L1 for the sweet spot of the dance floor and the compacts will be positioned towards the seating areas.

I tested it last night and it sounds awesome....

While the bass isn't chest thumping like I am used to...I really like how clean the sound is and to tell you the truth i have been DJing for 23 years and I feel all this time I have just been playing my music way too loud for my parties trying to hit all corners of the room.

My first real test in front of an audience of about 300 will be May 14th....I'll be back with my review then!!

Thanks everyone for all your help in getting this set up
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

quote:
It was because I was hooking up to lines 1 and 2 with XLR and that was putting the L1 into Mic input mode which was just too hot!!!!

This is a common mistake made by DJs who use just one "stick".

Ideally, one stick users should mono their left and right mixer signal, whether by mixer "stereo/mono' toggle switch if available, or by some other means, so that only ONE mono input is connected to the L1 inputs especially if using XLR cables.