Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

Sound bleeding through even at 0

I hooked up my L1 version 1 for the first time...I have my computer hooked up to my rane mixer and then the rane hooked up directly to the l1.

I have the trim on 1 and 2 completely at 0 and teh levels on my Rane mixer at 0 yet I can still hear my sound bleeding through to the l1.....I disconnected and hooked up my system to my compact and they do not have this problem so it seems to be something with the l1......anyone else have this type of issue?

Also the lights on the trim for channel 1 and 2...are those input indicators or output?

It seemed like I was peaking on these levels but the l1's didn't seem that loud still which makes me think these are input levels.

Is there an output indicator on the L1?.....I noticed a red light indicator right under the level indicator for channel 1 and 2....I did not see that go on but was wondering is that the clipping indicator or is that something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe
18 REPLIES 18
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Sound bleeding through even at 0

Hi Joe,

The lights on the Model I Power Stand are input Signal/OL (overload) lights: That is - they indicate the presence and level of the input signal.

--?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--

To control the output of the L1® use the Remote.

OR

Use the computer and the rane mixer to completely turn off the signal at the source.

Notes here: L1® Model I in the wiki
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

Do I need to use one of the pads with my system since my signal is so Hot coming from my Rane mixer even at low levels?

http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=Pad

the sound is bleeding through even if I have my rane at 0 and the trim on the l1 at 0

I saw that line 1 and 2 are made for microphones...or am I better off using lines 3 and 4 on the l1 from my rane mixer?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi NAW-T-BOY,

Have you tried using the R1 Remote? (use the Master Volume Control)

Yes, you can attenuate the signal using a pad but it may no solve the problem.

Yes, if you have the option to use a ¼ inch jack output from the Rane mixer, you can run that to any of the Model I Power Stand inputs 1,2,3,4. The input sensitivity might be a better match for the output of your mixer.

I would check to see of your mixer has a switch to lower the output of the XLR outputs. That switch, if it is there one is probably labelled MIC/LINE. You want the MIC setting.

quote:
Originally posted by NAW-T-BOY:
Do I need to use one of the pads with my system since my signal is so Hot coming from my Rane mixer even at low levels?

http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=Pad

the sound is bleeding through even if I have my rane at 0 and the trim on the l1 at 0

I saw that line 1 and 2 are made for microphones...or am I better off using lines 3 and 4 on the l1 from my rane mixer?
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

I was hoping to not have to use the remote and just be able to control my levels from my mixer.

are the outputs on the L1 just for Channel 1 and 2??...and if yes how can I use the 3 and 4 inputs and still be able to get an output from the L1 to daisy chain my compacts to be used as remote speakers directed towards the seating areas of my venue's
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Joe,

quote:
Originally posted by NAW-T-BOY:
I was hoping to not have to use the remote and just be able to control my levels from my mixer.

I'm surprised that you can't get your mixer down to the point that it is output is nothing.

Can you post a link to the manual for your mixer and tell me EXACTLY where you connecting the line(s) from the mixer to the L1®?

I'd be happy to read the manual with you and maybe we can figure out why you are hearing sound from the L1® even though you have the mixer turned all the way down.

quote:

are the outputs on the L1 just for Channel 1 and 2??...

Yes. There are XLR line outs from Model I (or Classic) Power Stand for Channels 1 and 2 ONLY
quote:

and if yes how can I use the 3 and 4 inputs and still be able to get an output from the L1 to daisy chain my compacts to be used as remote speakers directed towards the seating areas of my venue's

There are no line-outs for Model I (or Classic) Power Stand Channels 3 or 4.

I've lost track of all the equipment you have (four Compacts and ????) and what you are trying to do in this particular situation. But if you can describe which pieces you are trying to use and how you are trying to use them we can probably figure this out.

Ideas so far:
Run the mixer main outputs Model I's (assuming we can figure out how to control the output of the mixer).

Then you can run lines out from the Model I's to the Compacts

OR

If you have zone outputs from your mixer, I would probably run the mains to the Model Is and the zone outputs to the Compacts. This will allow you to control the volume of the Compacts separately (from the Model Is).
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

I have the Rane MP2

http://www.pssl.com/Rane-MP2-1-Space-DJ-Mixer

Here is my setup

Rane Mixer

Into

DBX Driverack 280

http://www.amazon.com/DBX-Driv...gement/dp/B0002MMN10

into

the L1

and then the outputs of l1 daisy chained left and right to 4 compacts

I use 2 compacts on the sides of the l1 spaced about 20 feet apart from the l1

and then for bigger rooms a will run the other 2 compacts farther down the dance floor for those rooms with long dance floors

Many of the halls by me are 1 big room that they split into 3 rooms so if they have the 1 big room you have a dance floor that could span around 40 yards

My friend told me I can run both my L1 and compacts from the Driverack and EQ them separately so that is what I am going to try next.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Joe,

To deal with this: "Sound bleeding through even at 0"

I'd like to help, but I'll need links to the manuals for the devices you are using and details of how you have things connected. (e.g. what outputs from each device are going to specific inputs of the the next thing in the signal chain). The links you provided do not go to the product manuals.

It sounds like you have something connected to an auxilliary or secondary buss line that is not controlled by the faders on your mixer. That might explain why you are still seeing a signal at the L1® end of the chain even though
quote:
I have the trim on 1 and 2 completely at 0 and teh levels on my Rane mixer at 0 yet I can still hear my sound bleeding through to the l1

but without more information from you, that's just a guess.

It could help for you to know that if you do not connect the R1 Remote to your L1® Model I Power Stand, the Power Stand is running as though the R1 Remote is connected and all the controls are set at 12:00 (straight up).

Also, the Model I Channel 1 and Channel 2 XLR Lines Out are post trim only. That is, the signal at the XLR Line Outs is the same as what is coming in, except that it is affected by the setting of the individual trim controls. (no presets or settings of the Remote are applied to that signal).
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Joe,

Have you checked on the Rane mixer that
you ARE using the HOUSE OUTPUT

and

you ARE NOT using the Aux OUTPUT or the Tape OUT.

Neither the Aux OUTPUT or the Tape OUT is affected by the House Level Control.

If you are using the Aux OUTPUT or the Tape OUT, this could explain why you are still hearing sound from the L1® even though you have the "levels on my Rane mixer at 0".

*** reference - page 3 mp2manb.pdf - I found this on the rane.com site
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

The bottom line is the L1 power stands trim is not a volume knob with 0 being no sound. If you play any sound through the power stand it will pick u on it.

If you want no sound you have two options.

1) turn off the sound at the source
2 use the R1 remotes Master volume & turn that all the way down.