Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Spacing of multiple systems

Hi folks. I have read that if you use two L1 M2 systems with dual mono, be sure to put the two systems at least 20-50 feet apart. Yet I see scores of videos on YouTube that show two L1 M2 systems on opposite sides of the DJ table, which are clearly not 20-50 feet apart. I am only guessing but I find it hard to believe that all these DJ's are sending out signals in true stereo to the two systems.

How many of you use two systems in dual mono and keep them less than 20 feet apart? Do you really encounter any problems? I love the look but don't want to destroy the quality of the sound output.

Thanks for any advice, real user experience, etc.

Rob

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Spacing of multiple systems

Hi Rob,

Here are some articles on the subject.

Multiple Source Interference

Dual Mono

Personal experience:

When I have multiple performers on stage, I use multiple L1®s. Each performer is heard through only one L1®.

There are very few occasions when I have to spread out the sound of a single sound source over two or more L1®s. I do that when the I have to cover an area larger than a single L1® can service.  In those situations, I place the additional L1®s at a distance - in the area that needs the additional coverage.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Yeah I've read all the articles but it appears from YouTube videos that a lot of other DJ's are violating the policy. If I run true stereo is having the systems 8 or 10 feet apart ok even though there won't really be much stereo separation? 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Rob,

The information from Bose is a recommendation to help people avoid issues with multiple source interference.

If the audience is free to wander around in the sound field, they may not notice a problem.

Using L1®s for stereo - you can get a large sweet spot. You don't need to be centered between the L1®s to hear both left and right sides of the stereo sound.

Check it out.

ST

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Yeah I read that too. Seems to be that there are very widely varying views. I am DJ'ing, not doing live sound so different musicians is not relevant for me. I guess I will have to just bring the systems to some real events and try things out. I am coming from using two QSC KW122's and two QSC KW181's. I love the convenience of the Bose systems. It would be great to get rid of about 300 pounds of gear (including the flight cases for everything). But I make $1200-$1500 an event doing weddings and I am a little afraid of "testing things out" live when my client is paying out that much money for my 5-star services.

Highlighted
Registered since

May 28, 2009

For 99% of my gigs I only use one stick (L1m2+B2) and unless you have an extremely wide or odd shaped room there is no need for two systems with regard to getting great sound except if Stereo is a must.
Problem for DJ's is that one stick by the side of your console looks a bit odd (especialy if you suffer from OCD) so what I suggest is that you place two sticks but only use one of them to produce sound. Your audience will never notice and it has the advantage that you have a spare set up in case of failure.
In the case of an extremely wide room, use both and angle them slightly outwards to reduce the crossover area of audio in the center.
Looks good, sounds great.

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Thanks for your response Eric'sson. Those are some good ideas. 

I have a hypothetical question about setup. Suppose I set up the two systems back to back from the center of the room. Would that eliminate the chance of the type of interference you risk running dual mono too close together?

Highlighted
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

I've used two L1 MIIs with both 1 and two B2s per side in a variety of situations for live bands and playing prerecorded music (this includes indoors, outdoors, small rooms, large rooms, odd shaped rooms, pretty much everything!) I've used spacing from 10 - 30 feet and have not noticed any ill effects with stereo or mono material. Generally my live band is mono (all inputs panned center) and the break music is stereo.

If there is anything that's maybe a bit odd is hearing the stereo separation when the towers are farther apart (25+ ft.) Some material is overdone in this regard (old Beatles stuff for example, where some instruments are hard-panned to the left or right) but most current music is fine. Since you're running mono this is a non issue.

As an aside, I also had a KW122/ KW181 setup (also KW153s and KW181s) and as much as I loved the sound, the weight and bulkiness of the gear became too much to manage. The little bit of sound quality I gave up (in certain situations) to get the convenience and portability of the Bose gear is WELL WORTH the trade off. 

Bottom line, I'm sure you will retain your 5 star rating and save your back at the same time!

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Thank you very much for the reply. That is very encouraging.