Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Stereo - Yes or No

Hi Litesnsirens,

quote:
Originally posted by Litesnsirens:
no offence ST, all this is actually a compliment

Life-long policy... "Take no offense where none is intended". I guest that could be a long-life policy. Anyway, we're good.

Considering the listening environment:
quote:
Originally posted by Litesnsirens:
I think you also have to consider the listening environment. There's listening at home just for the purpose of absorbing the music and then there's listening at a dance or a pub where the music is second to both the activity of dancing and the social aspect of the event.

I agree, and that's why I was careful to qualify my statement.
quote:
Originally posted by ST (post above):
Again, speaking personally: If I was at an event to listen to the music, or if it turned out that listening to the music was the most compelling part of the show, then I might notice the difference between mono and stereo. Otherwise, I might not notice, or if I did, it might not matter to me.

In a smaller sense, I have often made the very conscious decision to play break-tunes in a bar in mono. I choose to feature the live music. The canned stuff during breaks is about deflecting attention from the stage so people will buy something. At that point the stereo / mono question is not relevant to me. If however, my motive for playing pre-recorded music was about faithfully delivering what an artist and producer wanted a listener to hear then my approach would be different.

A big picture
In a larger sense, every time I set foot on a stage with my L1® I know that I have made a choice to be different. You can see where that leads. [edit: the link leads to my post above]

I have no stake in the stereo/mono question. But if someone else wants to run stereo with their L1®s, I'd like to help.

But seriously, enough about me.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Austintexasdj,

quote:
Originally posted by Austintexasdj:
Maybe I confused the situation.. I am happy to use the single mono L1, but sometimes I will have to use two..

I think we're on the same page. I just didn't understand that as I read this from your previous post.

quote:
Originally posted by Austintexasdj:
BUT.. I have decided to dabble into the stereo aspect for one reason only.. There will be events that require 2L1s.. and from what ST and research dictates, I need to separate the units by 20 foot..

But I think we're okay now.
quote:

... In mono (2 units)I realize I need a 20' split
But I am not comfortable with the physical distance.. therefore I will run stereo to keep them closer to me.. (or did I miss something?)

You've got it.
quote:

Thanks ST

Any time.
austintexasdj
Participant
Registered since

Apr 4, 2012

woot
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

quote:
I agree that having the T1 in mono came from the original design intent of the L1 concept and that it was a great concept. But like many hugely successful products, their eventual use and market potential often exceeds the original intent of the designers.

In Brysava's comment on "Mixers", I think he brings up a great point and key to the discussion. The T1 (which I use for 90% of my solo gigs), is a great mixer for it's intended use. Now that the market has quite literally opened up to DJ's and other users, having a stereo mixer is not a bad idea. I use a Allen & Heath Zed10FX for a few gigs where I have room and wish to use 2 L1 Compacts. The sound is great as I use a rather complex mix with harmonies.

I tried using 2 L1 Compacts in mono twice, without having sufficient distance between them and had terrible phase cancellation, That same combination in mono for 2 different rooms, can't be beat. So as they say, running dual mono in the under 20 feet range can have issues.

I would imagine an 8ft table setup, would be rather tight and a poor use for dual mono. If you need 2 L1's of any model, I would definitely think Stereo is a good choice, especially with the wide dispersion of the L1 systems

Given the musicians features of the T1 mixer, a stereo version could be good for a solo backing tracks performer (although I have never heard anyone complain yet about running tracks mono with 1 L1 system).
I would tend to think a stereo T1 is a bit of an overkill/mismatch for a DJ to use, given their use of specialty boards with scratching, sampling, crossfade and other DJ specific features.

In reading the recent "Poll" taken by Bose on T1 feature requests, only 33 people requested "stereo", verses other various requests in the poll of only 64 people responding. I personally think the poll should have allowed multiple feature requests, like the previous poll taken some time back. Compared to the thousands of T1 owners, there do not seem to be a lot of people responding for stereo. "Maybe a build it and we will embrace it" concept could work. Heck I'd probably buy (and have bought) almost anything that has a Bose label on it. It's great stuff and working musicians love to buy new gear.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

"I agree that having the T1 in mono came from the original design intent of the L1 concept and that it was a great concept. But like many hugely successful products, their eventual use and market potential often exceeds the original intent of the designers."

I agree with Joel. If you want to run stereo, you have to ask whether the workaround (using the AUX OUT and MASTER OUT to run Left and Right Channels) is worth your time, or if getting a stereo mixer and running audio directly to the Compacts is a better idea.

If you value the presets, effects, compression/gate features, etc., of the T1 highly enough, you'll do the workaround and hope Bose catches up with the demand for a stereo T1 option. If you can get what you want through a third party mixer and the price is right, go for it!
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

I just use 2 t1's....send my left channel to 1 and my right to the other

I gain stage the t1 levels to there maximum and control the overall volume from my DJ mixer.

I tried doing the aux work around but the having 2 just makes the process that much easier when set up time comes along and the time I save and ease of use has made it worth the extra purchase
keywest
Registered since

May 23, 2006

I agree with using a "3rd party" mixer.... I have a VERY small Behringer with FX built in and it works nicely with my pair of Compacts. If a particular venue provides me room to space out 20 feet wide, it creates a giant stereo sweet spot for many on the floor.

Loving the Bose L1 Compact !!! Smile
edwitles
Registered since

Dec 4, 2005

Ok, some clarification is warranted... Smile

If the L1 req 20ft spread for mono, and much of our music is partial mono (or poorly mixed), would having them closer cause issue?

In other words, would 20ft be a good sweet spot for both stereo and mono? Given the above condition?
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

my opinion:

For the volumes I am playing at, and the different distances people are from the speakers, I don't believe anyone can tell the difference

Kind of like trying to tell the difference between a 192k file and and 320k. Maybe...if sitting with headphones on, analyzing the difference, some could. But in an environment with lots of ambient noise and typically being different distances away from the speakers, I don't think anyone will notice the difference.

Just my opinion.

So I use mono. When I use more than 1 unit, it's usually wireless to fill a large or odd shaped room.

So I use mono.
edwitles
Registered since

Dec 4, 2005

That is pretty much what I do... single L1 and a wireless unit.

But sometimes the space class for 2 L1s.