May 11, 2020

Streaming Tutorial: Bose ToneMatch T4S & T8S Mixers

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

Re: Streaming Tutorial: Bose ToneMatch T4S & T8S Mixers

Timely ... it helped me check off things that I began playing with just today!

Someone on this forum posted about the difficulty he was having with setting up OBS so I thought I'd take a shot at that streaming software. (Also, I don't use Facebook - on principle, and other platforms like Twitch appear to be for gamers. I settled on YouTube. For now.)

My hardware setup:

• iMac - macOS 10.14.6
  • Bose T1 Tone Match (I might as well make use of it since it's lying around! I can switch to my T8S if I need to) connected via USB-B -> Mac USB port (settings in System Prefs)
  • Shure SM58 mic (ch.1 of T1)
  • Acoustic guitar (ch.2 of T1)

Software setup:

• OBS (free download)
  • YouTube (setting up the livestream takes 24 hours)

Once YouTube gave me a stream code, I put that into OBS and was online/connected in a couple of minutes. I could see myself, albeit with a time-lag of around 10 seconds.

I haven't gone beyond that - meaning, I haven't tried livestreaming music as yet. I wanted to make sure that I could get the equipment to work.

Overall it was not difficult to get all this going. Now that I know that the basics of connectivity are working, I will test out some livestreaming to check on the quality of the broadcast.

I'm hoping to have some fun with this setup.

Cheers,

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 9, 2019

This all works perfectly fine, however, when using this set up to record, say a vocal track from the T4s (Ch 1) via USB to my Mac (using garage band) the wav file that eventually gets recorded is so low in volume. Visibly, the recorded wav file is 1/3 the size of other wavs already in a song. I need something to help support the strength of the signal being sent from the T4s, almost like I need a pre amp or something to boost the signal. In other words, I cannot manipulate the input strength very much so that I have a usable enough recorded wav file to work with.

Just re read my text, hope that all made sense

Todd

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Todd,

On the T4S/T8S the signal sent to via USB to PC is controlled by the channel volumes. Turn them up to get a hotter signal.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 9, 2019

Hi ST

I understand what you are describing, it is just not what I am experiencing. It is almost as though no matter how I affect the channel fader (Ch 1) the resulting recorded wav file does not change in size. Is it possible that because the MASTER is set as controlling USB out ( as presented in the demo) that if I am only using phones and have Master Fader set low then the signal is lower?

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Todd.

Are you running the latest firmware?

T4S/T8S Firmware Update Instructions

On USB B to PC outputs what have you set for LEFT and RIGHT?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 9, 2019

Yes, updated firmware, also have Left and Right USB to PC set to master....but...I have Master level set to Zero on T4s as I do not want this to come through the speaker system as I am recording. I am monitoring through Phones....I am using the L1 Base to Power the T4sin my condo and cannot have the Master up very much due to volume....thanks ST

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Todd.

When you play the T4S .wav files - is the volume too low?

I don't have Garage Band, but I've just re-read your posts. Can you set the output level higher in Garage Band when you export to .wav files?

What is in the other .wav files you are comparing to the files you get from the T4S? What is the content? If those files are pre-recorded content (backing tracks), they may have been recorded at a higher sampling rate.

ST