Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

Re: Subwoofer for S1 Pro

Prakash Wadhwani posted:

For those interested in a sub with the S1 Pro ... have you'll looked at the JBL Eon One Pro?? I already have several 15" cabs & separate subs 12" & 15" & hence opted only for the S1 Pro having auditioned it at length in a showroom & being fully aware of it's low end limitation (being a DJ). So I picked up the S1 Pro primarily for my house Karaoke Parties or simply as a small monitor on stage for either DJ or Karaoke singing.

Just wanted all your thoughts on this ...
Also, The JBL Eon One Pro is I believe close to 1.5 years old now ... perhaps a newer updated model would be in the offing.

P.S. Don't wanna upset Bose Fans ... We're just exchanging views here

Hey Prakash....I did check out that JBL. Its a monster.. 31 x 22 x 17. Thats not going to fit in a normal suitcase. Its also not just a sub it has the mixer integrated and built to hold the extensions for the upper speakers. That is not what most of us are looking for. It would likely work but form factor and price is not what I would be looking for. But you did find a battery powered sub with an 8 Inch speaker. I heard a guy playing through one of those at the Catamaran resort in Mission Beach CA....was not impressed with the sound at all. This was outside on the beach....the true test of any sound system...they only system I have ever heard that sounds amazing outdoors has a Bose logo on it every time. Cheers.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

I really disagree with the out of doors being a true test, it is the hardest situation to judge the sound. So many factors, wind, humidity,  mixing, .....getting a good sound out of doors is often difficult but by no means is a test of sound quality. 

Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

I looked up the JBL Eon One Pro and it appears to basically compete with the Bose L1 Compact. It has a larger sub than the Compact, built-in 5/6 channel mixer, and can be battery powered. Hard to tell how to compare the two in terms of sound quality.

From a basic features perspective, it looks cool. However, in the reviews I’ve read, there was a disturbing amount of quality issues with it. Now maybe they’ve come out with a new and improved version or maybe there was just bad run of them.

Having said that, JBL has an alleged 6 hour battery powered L1 Compact clone with a big sub. So It shows that it’s possible. The sub is around 36 lbs though.

Rather than one overall unit, I kinda like the idea of a more component based approach where I could just use the S1 by itself, but then add/plug-in a beefier sub when I needed more bottom end. Perhaps have the option to have 2 S1s share a single sub. Typically I can get by with just one S1 and a separate mixer without a sub.

Having both sub and S1 use the same battery (be it one or 2 batteries for the sub) makes a lot of sense too.

What would also be a “nice is to have” is add another basic mixer built-in to the additional sub so I could better accommodate my acoustic duo where I need 2 mic inputs and 2 instrument inputs precluding the need for a separate mixer. Perhaps leave out the Bluetooth since you’d typically pair it with a S1 and have instead EQ controls tailored to the bass spectrum. 

Now how about a name for this sub, S1B? ??

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

ccc posted:

I really disagree with the out of doors being a true test, it is the hardest situation to judge the sound. So many factors, wind, humidity,  mixing, .....getting a good sound out of doors is often difficult but by no means is a test of sound quality. 

Everyone has there opinions. You are correct about the number of variables, but you left out the most important one....acoustics. Outdoors no walls no ceilings no floors hard soft or indifferent. Bose creates its own acoustic environment...This is the genius of Dr. Bose. I have been playing live for almost 50 years now and my experience with almost every PA made brings me to my conclusion. My purchases of Bose equipment is the evidence in my belief and my audience and venue managers are my true sound board for feedback on the sound quality. Cheers....

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

CityFolk posted:

I looked up the JBL Eon One Pro and it appears to basically compete with the Bose L1 Compact. It has a larger sub than the Compact, built-in 5/6 channel mixer, and can be battery powered. Hard to tell how to compare the two in terms of sound quality.

From a basic features perspective, it looks cool. However, in the reviews I’ve read, there was a disturbing amount of quality issues with it. Now maybe they’ve come out with a new and improved version or maybe there was just bad run of them.

Having said that, JBL has an alleged 6 hour battery powered L1 Compact clone with a big sub. So It shows that it’s possible. The sub is around 36 lbs though.

Rather than one overall unit, I kinda like the idea of a more component based approach where I could just use the S1 by itself, but then add/plug-in a beefier sub when I needed more bottom end. Perhaps have the option to have 2 S1s share a single sub. Typically I can get by with just one S1 and a separate mixer without a sub.

Having both sub and S1 use the same battery (be it one or 2 batteries for the sub) makes a lot of sense too.

What would also be a “nice is to have” is add another basic mixer built-in to the additional sub so I could better accommodate my acoustic duo where I need 2 mic inputs and 2 instrument inputs precluding the need for a separate mixer. Perhaps leave out the Bluetooth since you’d typically pair it with a S1 and have instead EQ controls tailored to the bass spectrum. 

Now how about a name for this sub, S1B? ??

You keep up those kind of great ideas and Bose may offer you a job in R & D

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Haha Moondog, thanks for the plug! ??

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

KingBiscuit posted:

I'd love to see a battery powered sub! I wonder if it would be possible to design the sub in such a way that it uses the same batteries as the S1, perhaps put 2 of them in the bass cabinet.  Additionally, allow the T4 S to connect to the Bass unit via the Ethercon Cable and be powered by the batteries in the bass unit.   The S1 Pros would take output from the bass unit.  How cool would that be? Totally battery powered, extremely compact and very easy set-up!  If a performer needed longer battery life, just carry spare batteries which could be used on any of the units.

That would be a dream come true.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Guys, I think we're close!

What if Bose put long throw driver(s) (like 2 - 5.25" units - the same as used in a B1?) with built in high pass filter, a thumping class D amp (use the one from the Backlight bass power unit?) and the SAME battery into the SAME case as an S1 Pro!?

Then for a bit more bottom end one could run a cable (TRS - XLR/TRS) from the line output of the S1 Pro to the new sub, the Bose S1B ProSub.

Use "off the shelf" parts, keep the price point around $500 and ya' just might have a winner!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

PM me for information about where to send my royalty checks...  🙂

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

FYI: The JBL EON ONE PRO -- only has an 8" driver in its sub.

Last weekend, I used my JBL EON ONE (10" THUMPING SUB) behind the band in a "garage" with my 2 S1 Pros on stands just outside the doors to cover the rest of the 1/4 acre party -- about 200 people eating, talking, dancing, having a quick wedding, etc. 

All plugged in of course since the gig lasted over 6 hours.  Better to plug in the S1s at the beginning rather than "take a chance".