Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Re: Subwoofer for S1 Pro

Chet posted:

FYI: The JBL EON ONE PRO -- only has an 8" driver in its sub.

Last weekend, I used my JBL EON ONE (10" THUMPING SUB) behind the band in a "garage" with my 2 S1 Pros on stands just outside the doors to cover the rest of the 1/4 acre party -- about 200 people eating, talking, dancing, having a quick wedding, etc. 

All plugged in of course since the gig lasted over 6 hours.  Better to plug in the S1s at the beginning rather than "take a chance".

Can you use the EON One without the high end speakers?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Haha we all would welcome donations from Bose R&D for all these great suggestions! Operators are standing by. ??

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Hi, Everyone!

This is a great conversation, and it's terrific to hear the flow of ideas and suggestions.  We're listening.

In light of some recent comments, here's a reminder about the community Terms of Use (there's a link at the bottom of every page here).

Here is an excerpt.

5.5. User submissions. Bose maintains an exceptionally strong commitment to research. Researching new technologies, incorporating new technologies into products and developing marketing strategies for our products may take several years. For example, our Acoustic Noise Cancelling, PhaseGuide and QuietPort technologies were in the research and product development stages for many years before being integrated in commercial products and introduced to the public. We wish to avoid any misunderstandings that could arise if a Bose product or marketing strategy bears even a superficial resemblance to an idea that was submitted to Bose during the development process, or if a product feature or function may seem related to customer observations submitted to us. Bose does not provide any compensation, in either cash or product, for User Content submitted to Bose, including without limitation any idea for a potential software application. If you still submit such information to us, you agree that such information shall be deemed to be non-confidential and non-proprietary and Bose shall have no obligation of any kind with respect to such information and shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose and distribute the information on an unrestricted basis for any purpose whatsoever, unless expressly agreed otherwise in writing by Bose. Further, Bose shall be free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in such information for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing and marketing products incorporating such information.

Source: Terms of Use

Thank you building a great community.

Bose Pro Community Admin 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Bose community admin: I hope you realize we were just kidding about the donations or getting any credit for the ideas being expressed. It was a fun exercise to dream through some ideas. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Most Bose units are designed for walls when outside there are no walls perhaps a delay naturally and reverb off the buildings if present. No one can judge quality by listening to a speaker designed to use walls or for that matter no one can judge the quality of a straight aligned speaker system by ear bending.  What you can judge is the skill of the individual to max out sound in an open format that is pleasant to the ear. This has less to do with the quality of the equipment. Hopefully you start out with decent equipment because good equipment makes it so much easier for the skill of the technician to swing the sound into a pleasant arena. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

Chet posted:

Guys, I think we're close!

What if Bose put long throw driver(s) (like 2 - 5.25" units - the same as used in a B1?) with built in high pass filter, a thumping class D amp (use the one from the Backlight bass power unit?) and the SAME battery into the SAME case as an S1 Pro!?

Then for a bit more bottom end one could run a cable (TRS - XLR/TRS) from the line output of the S1 Pro to the new sub, the Bose S1B ProSub.

Use "off the shelf" parts, keep the price point around $500 and ya' just might have a winner!

WOW you are hitting on all cylinders today. I own 2 - B1s and 2 - B2s....Yes I could put on a concert...but to be honest, the B2s are overkill at almost every venue I play so I almost exclusively use a pair of B1s now. But I could see with the S1 a single, S1B Subpro with 2 - 5.25 inch speakers would be perfect. Too much sub would over power the S1. We just want to fill out the lower end of the frequency spectrum. Your idea to use the packlight power amp is really smart...design reuse means higher profits for Bose. Same battery as S1, really really smart and I think you meant to say Low Pass Filter. (A low-pass filter (LPF) is a filter that passes signals with a frequency lower than a selected cutoff frequency and attenuates signals with frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency.) The number of venues I could use this smaller system in would go way up with a battery powered sub. And one final reminder to Bose if you are reading these....I need my sub to fit in a suitcase so I can fly with this...2 checked bags S1 Pro in one suitcase, the  S1B SubPro in the other....another first for the industry, world class sound you can fly with. You can take that one to the bank too.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi ccc,

ccc posted:

Most Bose units are designed for walls when outside there are no walls perhaps a delay naturally and reverb off the buildings if present.

snip 

Do you have a reference for the statement above? I haven't read anything like that in documents about Bose Portable PA products published by Bose. However, here's an article about

Bass Outdoors

ST

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

Hey ST, 

This statement is made from my personal experience. I have probably played thousands of gigs with front loaded classic type speakers and floor monitors. They sound pretty good indoors but outdoors, I personally think they sound terrible and a lot of musicians I have played with all thought the same thing. The sound just goes and it never feels full or satisfying...

I had a monster Mackie system, took two people to move it. It was loud and unreal low end (too much actually) and could get really loud (Directionally) I sold that to my first L1 Type II system...

When I played through that it literally made me cry (and trust me it takes a lot to make me cry) this was indoors. Then I did an outdoor show with it and it still just sounded unbelievable. The only words I can think of to describe the experience is that it seems to create its own acoustic environment. That is how I explain what I hear with my Bose system. 

I had the same experience on a smaller scale with the S1. I took it out when I got it and set it up next to my pool and played a set for my wife who was swimming in the pool. We both agreed it sounded amazing. For as light as it is and as few small speakers as it has, the S1 Pro is a sonic miracle.....in my humble opinion. 

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Moon Dog,

I agree with you. The Bose Portable PA products can deliver great results - indoors and outside.

Moon Dog posted:

Hey ST, 

This statement is made from my personal experience. I have probably played thousands of gigs with front loaded classic type speakers and floor monitors. They sound pretty good indoors but outdoors, I personally think they sound terrible and a lot of musicians I have played with all thought the same thing. The sound just goes and it never feels full or satisfying...

I had a monster Mackie system, took two people to move it. It was loud and unreal low end (too much actually) and could get really loud (Directionally) I sold that to my first L1 Type II system...

When I played through that it literally made me cry (and trust me it takes a lot to make me cry) this was indoors. Then I did an outdoor show with it and it still just sounded unbelievable. The only words I can think of to describe the experience is that it seems to create its own acoustic environment. That is how I explain what I hear with my Bose system. 

I had the same experience on a smaller scale with the S1. I took it out when I got it and set it up next to my pool and played a set for my wife who was swimming in the pool. We both agreed it sounded amazing. For as light as it is and as few small speakers as it has, the S1 Pro is a sonic miracle.....in my humble opinion. 

My post above was addressed to ccc.

ST posted:

Hi ccc,

ccc posted:

Most Bose units are designed for walls when outside there are no walls perhaps a delay naturally and reverb off the buildings if present.

snip 

Do you have a reference for the statement above? I haven't read anything like that in documents about Bose Portable PA products published by Bose. However, here's an article about

Bass Outdoors

ST

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Well we've come full circle. Depending on how you have set replies per page, the idea of utilizing the B1 design in conjunction with the S1 Pro geometry was talked about on the first or second page of this thread.

I think there are several reasons we don't see the same low end in the S1 Pro that we see in a B1. A couple, and not necessarily in the order of importance are weight, and performance of the speaker / cabinet design from sub frequencies up to the desired crossover frequency. 

I'm not suggesting it can't be done but I suspect if it was done in a single cabinet it would be a three way cabinet, like a miniature version of a dual 15" with horn. There would be the array, a mid range producing 100 / 200 up to 600 Hz and the sub speaker from 100 / 200 Hz down.

Even the F1 812 with its 12" speaker and the same crossover point as the S1 only goes down to 52 Hz @ -3 dB (43Hz @ -10dB) 

The B1 reproduces 40Hz @ -3dB, and if we can trust the technical data sheet down to 32 Hz @ -10dB. .................. but the design is only good up to about 300Hz.

The weight issue. Any meaningful volume of 40 Hz musical content will shake and bump a lightweight speaker. There is a reason the B1 weighs nearly 30 lbs, roughly twice that of the S1.

What we end up with when we get down to that magical 40Hz is a speaker / system that no longer fits the true compact size and weight of the S1 Pro.

O..