Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Re: Subwoofer for S1 Pro

KingBiscuit posted:

Per my previous posts, I'd love to see Bose come out with a battery powered bass unit to work with the S1 Pro.  That said, I have a question.

For the acoustic guitar/vocal performers, what is it that's missing from your sound when using S1 Pro for PA?  Looking at the specs, it appears to me that for acoustic guitar and vocals, the S1 Pro speakers should more than adequate to handle any of the frequencies that would be produced.

In my case, I'm using 2 S1 Pros with a T4 mixer.   Even though I can EQ this to the Nth degree, and it sounds good, it still feels like something is missing and  I can't put my finger on what it is. It's clear but kind of "thin" for lack of a better word.   Like I said, technically, the S1 Pros should be more than enough for the acoustic performer in all frequencies, low to hi.

What do other acoustic performers think?

Normally, I have bass and treble on the S1 set at 1200.  I haven't tried this yet but when I get back home in a week or so, I'll try turning the bass up on the S1s and see if that helps.

Used the S1 Pro last night as a personal floor monitor, line out into the house PA. Format was solo acoustic guitar and vocal

Love the sound! For me it provides a really accurate sound amplification of my guitar-vocal, in fact, the sound tech commented on how great the S1 Pro sounded. I do use a vocal processor, and my guitar pedal board (including BBE processing for guitar) so maybe that helps?

So, I would have to say for acoustic guitar and vocal I don't feel anything is missing in the sound.

For recorded music such as backing tracks or a small DJ system, yes, I would grab a small sub or two for sub bass.

Highlighted
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I have a couple of Behringer B1200D subs.  In my practice/recording studio (about 40' x 20' x 12'), I usually run ONE of these subs and 2 Bose S1 Pros. 

Often 2 voices, 2 electric (or 1 acoustic, 1 electric) guitars. (no backing tracks-occasional pre-recorded rhythm guitar/bass/drum machine loops though).

Sometimes I'll turn on the Sub alone (forget to turn on the S1s) and am amazed that something that sounds so terrible can make such a difference.

I set the sub to reproduce everything it can - close to the top of its 70-150hZ cutoff range and boost a little at the high end of that range.

The difference is astounding.  Especially the low strings on an electric guitar...and of course, bass and even my baritone vocal low notes.

BUT - I often gig with just the 2 Bose S1 Pros and that's pretty special too.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

This or this might work for a small area. How much battery one might need for a 4 hour gig?? Don't know. 

The frequency range is good. How to split it, the peripheral equipment necessary to make it work, and still keep it all on battery is still an issue. 

This is not a recommendation, just something I saw on TV and decided to take a look.

O..

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Oldghm posted:

This or this might work for a small area. How much battery one might need for a 4 hour gig?? Don't know. 

The frequency range is good. How to split it, the peripheral equipment necessary to make it work, and still keep it all on battery is still an issue. 

This is not a recommendation, just something I saw on TV and decided to take a look.

O..

These look really interesting, you may have solved the subwoofer riddle of the ages. ??

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

Harry 3 posted:
Oldghm posted:

O..

These look really interesting, you may have solved the subwoofer riddle of the ages. ??

Yep,  a car sub is the correct form factor.....(small and impressive) and we have all pulled up next to the idiot who has their car stereo cranked and the bass is just thumping. So this proves it can be done its just a question of battery powered needed. Someone suggested they use the same battery as the S1 and then people would just buy a spare battery. It would be good to have a spare for the S1 anyway...I don't think us S1 users dreaming of a companion Battery Powered Sub are asking for the impossible. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

pushing air like large cones used in subs require a lot of power and it needs to be fast. So far a battery that can handle that kind of drain in or sustain any duration does not exist that I am aware of.

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

I have read this entire thread on a bass subwoofer for the S1. I own a pair of S1's and love them. Yes, they need a subwoofer. Without a sub, they are a bit naked. So, I tried a KRK 10" and not a good match. I tried the Behringer 1200 and found the sound quality to be poor and not a match for the quality of the S1. Then, I tried the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12 in. Powered Subwoofer, and it is perfect. Perfect for my voice, perfect for my guitar. BTW I play a baritone acoustic guitar and the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12 in. Powered Subwoofer is perfect. The only setback is the weight of 42 pounds, but I just use a small speaker dolly to roll it around. And, the weight is OK with the dolly. The sound is phenomenal. I suggest you look into the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12 in. Powered Subwoofer.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Randy,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

Thank you for sharing your experiences as you've experimented with different subwoofers with your S1 Pro systems.

Posts like yours are a huge part of what makes this community work.

Cheers!

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Hi Randy. Thanks for the report!  Could you share how you're connecting the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12 to your S1 Pro?  Thanks!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

I have also used my Mackie DLM12 as a sub with both my Bose Compact and my Bose S1....it rocks. https://amzn.to/2q0iPdb , but the whole point of this thread was to discuss a need within the community for us Bose users. Between Randy and Moon Dog, Bose lost about $1500.... Another point that is being missed is many of us want a totally wireless battery powered solution....the way I see we are still one Sub away...