Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: Subwoofer for S1 Pro

Well, I'll not claim that what follows is truly pragmatic, but If you want to design a new sub, I think you have to be pragmatic. Can't expect a big company to make something different for each forum member. 

Seriously, If we look at the current market, the Bose B1 is one of, if not the smallest, true bass speakers on the market. It weighs about thirty pounds but is marginal in physical size for a carry-on for flight, no problem for checked baggage.

Since we don't see any subs in the 15 or 20 lb range we can probably assume there is a good reason. Manufacturers would not ignore a potential true market if the technology exists to cut 10 or more pounds from their current line up, and it still perform properly. Most of a subs weight is in the cabinet. The savings over time, in just material and shipping, would be tremendous, assuming the design was successful. Based on the S1 and the B1, It would seem that lowering the frequency range from 60 Hz to 40 Hz adds about 15 lbs to a cabinet. (producing low frequencies is not all that difficult, producing them at the desired SPL is the kicker)

Personally I think a single, full range, battery powered cabinet, possibly 3 way, in the 30/35 lb range, would be a more successful product. But what do I know?

I think the bean counters still make the decisions, and rightly so. The fact that a very successful small speaker is used beyond it's intended design purpose, doesn't necessarily mean providing a satellite bass cabinet would be equally successful. 

So "if" we use the B1 size and weight as a base line, "if" it is possible to redesign as a powered unit that uses the S1 battery and manages 5 hours of life, delivering loud, punchy bass lines, how many would actually buy it? 

O..

Claude, a search for a Proel HP10 produced nothing for me. The Proel website did not list a speaker with that designation. 

Randy_5
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

I would like to make one more comment about a sub for use with  Bose S1 pro. I am very picky when it comes to my sub. For one thing, I play a baritone acoustic guitar mostly country and blues style, and i use a thumbpick and play with a lot of thumping bass Johnny Cash style. I also have a baritone / lyric tenor voice so I hit a lot of low vocal notes plus some higher notes as well. The 10 inch KRK was not enough watts for me. The Behringer was just poor sound quality that did not match the excellent sonic quality of the S1. In my opinion, if Bose plans on making a sub, it will need lots of power to give it the excellent bass sound that the EV Sub gives for my music. As a customer, I would not waste my money with an underpowered sub.

Claude_Perreaul
Registered since

Mar 29, 2019

Proel is a a italian product sale to Canada sale to redone music Canada Quebec Laval

it's new product no Battery is not the ideal product for you

may be it's a alternative for a small light electric sub active 30 lbs 350watt RMS

19inches 11 inches 16 inches

the best bose product 1 B1 with batterie and crossover I dream may be to fit with S1Pro 

sorry my English is no good i'm french Canadian line Montreal Quebec

DavidE2
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Randy posted:

I would like to make one more comment about a sub for use with  Bose S1 pro. I am very picky when it comes to my sub. For one thing, I play a baritone acoustic guitar mostly country and blues style, and i use a thumbpick and play with a lot of thumping bass Johnny Cash style. I also have a baritone / lyric tenor voice so I hit a lot of low vocal notes plus some higher notes as well. The 10 inch KRK was not enough watts for me. The Behringer was just poor sound quality that did not match the excellent sonic quality of the S1. In my opinion, if Bose plans on making a sub, it will need lots of power to give it the excellent bass sound that the EV Sub gives for my music. As a customer, I would not waste my money with an underpowered sub.

Don’t pay too much attention to power ratings.  They’re often exaggerated.   What you want to look at is max SPL and THD.   

DavidE2
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2006

Randy posted:
Archtop Eddy posted:

Hi Randy. Thanks for the report!  Could you share how you're connecting the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12 to your S1 Pro?  Thanks!

Hi Archtop Eddy. Firstly, BTW, I really like your name. I love arch top guitars. Well, to connect the EV sub to the S1 Pro is very simple. I just connect a 1/4 inch TRS from the S1 Pro output to the EV subwoofer's input. I will try to share photos.

Ideally, it would be “better” to hit the sub first if the sub has a crossover.   Then take the post crossover output to the S1 so it’s  only producing frequencies above the crossover point.  

prakashwadhwani
Participant
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Randy posted:
Archtop Eddy posted:

Hi Randy. Thanks for the report!  Could you share how you're connecting the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12 to your S1 Pro?  Thanks!

Hi Archtop Eddy. Firstly, BTW, I really like your name. I love arch top guitars. Well, to connect the EV sub to the S1 Pro is very simple. I just connect a 1/4 inch TRS from the S1 Pro output to the EV subwoofer's input. I will try to share photos.

If you connect S1 Pro -> to -> EV Sub ... you're not relieving the S1 of the strain of the lower frequencies. I'd rather go Sub (use the EV high pass to S1 Pro).  My 2c.

Archtop_Eddy
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Prakash Wadhwani posted:
Randy posted:
Archtop Eddy posted:

If you connect S1 Pro -> to -> EV Sub ... you're not relieving the S1 of the strain of the lower frequencies. I'd rather go Sub (use the EV high pass to S1 Pro).  My 2c.

Hi guys. 

Can the EV sub be set up to use the EV high pass to the S1Pro? Does it even have a high pass?  I see in ads and specs that the EV sub has what they call QuickDSP with "sub/top system-match."  Is this how you would set it up for a high pass to the S1Pro?

prakashwadhwani
Participant
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Archtop Eddy posted:
Prakash Wadhwani posted:
Randy posted:
Archtop Eddy posted:

Hi guys. 

Can the EV sub be set up to use the EV high pass to the S1Pro? Does it even have a high pass?  I see in ads and specs that the EV sub has what they call QuickDSP with "sub/top system-match."  Is this how you would set it up for a high pass to the S1Pro?

If it's (EV's) got a DSP (which you've confirmed), then it'll most definitely have a crossover (possibly adjustable) & high pass out. Hop over to their website & down load the brochure/manual ... that'll put things in perspective.

Check this link:
https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2632

prakashwadhwani
Participant
Registered since

May 22, 2019

EV SubEV

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Prakash Wadhwani,

Looking a the manual for the EV ELX200

I found the same tables you gave us above. Note: there is no high-pass filter in the subwoofer.

The signal at the output is unaffected by the internal settings.

This series of EV loudspeakers have the high-pass filter built into the full-range systems (not the subwoofer).

ST