Highlighted
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Re: Subwoofer for S1 Pro

ST posted:

Hi Prakash Wadhwani,

Looking a the manual for the EV ELX200

I found the same tables you gave us above. Note: there is no high-pass filter in the subwoofer.

The signal at the output is unaffected by the internal settings.

This series of EV loudspeakers have the high-pass filter built into the full-range systems (not the subwoofer).

ST

It's a "LOW PASS" Filter ... (my bad) 

Hi-Pass will be used when sending a signal from a TOP to a SUB
Low-Pass when sending a signal from SUB to a TOP.
(I know you know that ST ... this is for other's)

I've attached pages from the Manual above. Page numbers are present too.

Separate crossovers for generic speakers at different points (frequencies) ... and specific choices to perfectly match EV top specific models.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks fellas for looking up the EV manual and digging deeper into this question.  I know I'm a knucklehead when it comes to understanding these things but is what you're saying is that you CAN'T set up the EV sub to high pass to the S1Pro?

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Prakash Wadhwani,

I'm responding to your text highlighted in amber.

Prakash Wadhwani posted:
ST posted:

Hi Prakash Wadhwani,

Looking a the manual for the EV ELX200

I found the same tables you gave us above. Note: there is no high-pass filter in the subwoofer.

The signal at the output is unaffected by the internal settings.

This series of EV loudspeakers have the high-pass filter built into the full-range systems (not the subwoofer).

ST

It's a "LOW PASS" Filter ... (my bad) 

Hi-Pass will be used when sending a signal from a TOP to a SUB
Low-Pass when sending a signal from SUB to a TOP.
(I know you know that ST ... this is for other's)

I've attached pages from the Manual above. Page numbers are present too.

Separate crossovers for generic speakers at different points (frequencies) ... and specific choices to perfectly match EV top specific models.

We're reading this differently. What I'm getting from the manual

• The internal digital signal processors (DSPs) affect only the sound on the loudspeaker where you change the settings
  • The lines out from the EV full-range loudspeakers and the subwoofers are NOT affected by the internal DSP settings.
    • The full-range loudspeaker connected to the line out from the subwoofer will not be affected by settings on the subwoofer
      EV Sub Output not affected
    • The EV subwoofer will sound the same regardless of the settings on the full-range loudspeaker. To change the sound on the subwoofer, you have to change the DSP settings on the subwoofer.

ST

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Archtop Eddy,

Archtop Eddy posted:

Thanks fellas for looking up the EV manual and digging deeper into this question.  I know I'm a knucklehead when it comes to understanding these things but is what you're saying is that you CAN'T set up the EV sub to high pass to the S1Pro?

That's how it looks to me. The EV sub line out is full range.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks guys for running this down.   AE

Highlighted
Registered since

May 22, 2019

ST posted:

Hi Archtop Eddy,

Archtop Eddy posted:

That's how it looks to me. The EV sub line out is full range.

ST

You're right ST ... I missed that !!!

For both ...
The  Full-Range loudspeaker control and monitoring interface  5.1  (Pg 19 - Point 7)  ... and ...
The  Subwoofer control and monitoring interface  5.2  (Pg 20 - Point 6), they've clearly mentioned   The MASTER VOL or DSP control settings do not affect OUTPUT.

Just doesn't make sense ... When they have an electronic DSP, they should've given that as an option to affect the output too if so required. Baffling!! 

Well caught ST !!  

Archtop Eddy ... Pls check out the RCF  SUB 702-AS II
https://www.rcf.it/en_US/produ...sub-702-as-ii/233962

I figure this is a lil more powerful than the EV Sub & as light (if not lighter).
I'm using it & it definitely provides a "HIGH-PASS" Output plus a THRU output depending on the switch selection (as depressed).

I've attached a page out of the RCF Sub Manual.

ST ... you too please confirm the same (in case I've overlooked anything).
RCF

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Well, I may have to reconsider some of my comments, The JBL Compact that has been mentioned in another thread, claims 37.5 Hz in a full range 18 lb package.

O..

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Prakash Wadhwani,

Prakash Wadhwani posted:
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? 
Just doesn't make sense ... When they have an electronic DSP, they should've given that as an option to affect the output too if so required. Baffling!! 
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? 

It looks like they designed these products (the full-range loudspeakers and the subwoofer) to work together within their product line. We can't know the design criteria they were using. 

I figure this is a lil more powerful than the EV Sub & as light (if not lighter).
I'm using it & it definitely provides a "HIGH-PASS" Output plus a THRU output depending on the switch selection (as depressed).

I've attached a page out of the RCF Sub Manual.

ST ... you too please confirm the same (in case I've overlooked anything).
RCF

You have and use the product and the documentation confirms the assertion.  Sounds good.

ST 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 9, 2020

I read through this thread and personally do not think a battery powered sub is the way to go.

What I would like to see is a battery powered Packlite like device.   Would have a crossover built in.  If it is from Bose, could also make it with the built in EQ curves for the B1 and B2.  Should also have the ability to output a flat signal for use with other subs.

Be easier to carry separately rather than adding the weight of a battery to an already heavy sub.