Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Subwoofer for S1 Pro

Several folks have started using the Behringer 1200D subwoofer with the S1 to bolster its lower end. It got me to thinking that it would be nice for Bose to develop a similar type of optional subwoofer for the S1, but perhaps base (no pun intended) it on a B1 or 2.

Further, it would be nice to have this new B1/2 interchangeable with a L1 as many of us use both depending on the venue size. 

I expect one of the challenges would be how to make this new subwoofer work off battery power to compliment that wonderful feature in the S1. Also, another challenge to keep its weight down. 

178 REPLIES 178
Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: Subwoofer for S1 Pro

Thinking about a bass module for the S1.

Many of us have B1's. That's about as small / light as we can expect and still get down to 40Hz, and have appropriate output to match the S1.

We also have A1 amps. All we need is a properly voiced crossover / eq to use with the B1 to get a good match for the S1.

If the crossover was available separately or in a B1 / A1 / crossover package, at a reasonable price, it might be a good seller.

Something similar, in a S1 dedicated and marketed package might sell better than a repurposed B1.

Of course to make this really work good, we need a bass line out on the S1. That would eliminate the need for outboard crossover and eq. If they had done this to begin with we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So maybe the answer is, redesign the S1 with bass line out, redesign the B1 to look like the S1, and put a battery in it.

I sometimes think Bose doesn't do well when making various components that work in multiple combinations. They seem to like unit construction and dedicated connections so we only use them in a predictable manner.

All that being said, I don't think a bass module bigger than a B1, but designed for use with the S1, would be a big enough seller to warrant building. That puts us right back where we are today with individuals making use of available components to satisfy their needs.

O.. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Oldghm posted:
"redesign the S1 with bass line out, redesign the B1 to look like the S1, and put a battery in it."  O.. 

I like these ideas.  However, given that so many current model S1s are already in circulation (without a bass line out), perhaps examining the Behringer speaker management features on the B1200D-PRO and installing something similar in a smaller battery powered subwoofer would make it more accessible for current users. With the Behringer system, you just connect your guitar and vocals to the stereo inputs of the sub, then connect the S1 Pro (or any other amp) to the hi-pass-filtered outputs. By adjusting the variable hi-cut frequency on the sub, you balance the output of lows for the sub and mids and highs for the S1 Pro (or other amp).

I think Bose would hit the mark by creating a subwoofer that has these speaker management features in a B1 size/weight, tuned to Bose systems (S1 Pro, L1 Compact), and battery powered (maybe two lithium batteries).

I also like O's suggestion for a dedicated simple cross-over that would allow us to use the current B1 module.  Since there are no dedicated bass line outputs on the S1 or Compact, perhaps the cross-over could work like the Behringer speaker management features outlined above.

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

An interesting conundrum. If we accept the B1200D idea we sacrifice the built in two channel mixer to use the sub. For those already using a mixer not a big deal, for those looking for the greatest simplicity in a full range system, it's another component to worry about carrying, connecting, and powering.

An S1 with a bass line out would encourage those of us who only have one S1 to buy another.

I am not smart enough to decide how to manage the bass line out and a full range line out in the same unit, but I would want both, and while I was adding the bass line out I would put in a third channel.

O..

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 13, 2006

Oldghm posted:

Thinking about a bass module for the S1.

Many of us have B1's. That's about as small / light as we can expect and still get down to 40Hz, and have appropriate output to match the S1.

We also have A1 amps. All we need is a properly voiced crossover / eq to use with the B1 to get a good match for the S1.

If the crossover was available separately or in a B1 / A1 / crossover package, at a reasonable price, it might be a good seller.

Something similar, in a S1 dedicated and marketed package might sell better than a repurposed B1.

Of course to make this really work good, we need a bass line out on the S1. That would eliminate the need for outboard crossover and eq. If they had done this to begin with we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So maybe the answer is, redesign the S1 with bass line out, redesign the B1 to look like the S1, and put a battery in it.

O.. 

What if Bose made a new A1 packlite that was battery powered, 250 watts,  had cross over built in for the S1 and Compact but retained its normal base line out input for L1s. You could use B2, B1 ect.

Is that what you are referring to O?

edit: added the highlighted part

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Hi O.  When you said, "An interesting conundrum. If we accept the B1200D idea we sacrifice the built in two channel mixer to use the sub."

Here's what I do. I don't know if it addresses the concerns you noted, but here goes... 

On the S1 Pro, I use channel 1 for vocals and channel 2 for guitar.

I'm not interested in the subwoofer feature on my vocals.  So I connect my mic straight to channel 1 on the S1 Pro and avoid the subwoofer all together.  I adjust the EQ for the vocals/mic via the S1 Pro's mid and trem controls.

For channel 2 (my guitar channel), I want a deeper and more present bass sound. This is where the Behringer B1200D Pro subwoofer comes into play. (BTW, I use a Boss OC-3 Octave to get this lower bass sound.)

I input my guitar first into a channel on the subwoofer and then output it from the subwoofer to channel 2 on my S1 Pro.  I use the Behringer's high cut feature to minimize the bass frequencies to the S1 Pro; and use the subwoofer's boost frequency and level knobs to adjust the bass sound.  For my purposes, I keep the mid and trem controls set flat on the S1 Pro.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 13, 2006

Starvin posted:

What if Bose made a new A1 packlite that was battery powered, 250 watts,  had cross over built in for the S1 and Compact but retained its normal base line out input for L1s. You could use B2, B1 ect.

Thumbs up!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Oldghm: "An interesting conundrum. If we accept the B1200D idea we sacrifice the built in two channel mixer to use the sub."

OR - I suspect one could use a TRS - XLR cable to run the (mixed) line output from the S1 to the B1200D to "pump up" the low end...

Starvin: "What if Bose made a new A1 packlite that was battery powered, 250 watts,  had cross over built in for the S1 and Compact but retained its normal base line out input for L1s. You could use B2, B1 ect."

Well (grinning), A1 amplifier $399 + B1 bass unit $299 (smaller but not as punchy as the B1200D) = $698 vs. $299 for B1200D.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

OR - B1200D - Power consumption 110 Watts.

Theoretically a 100 AH battery (through inverter) will run one sub for at least 4 or 5 hours...

Getting to be lots of heavy pieces to carry around though.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Ooops, sorry - may be wrong place to post that last one.