Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Re: Subwoofer for S1 Pro

Good points Moon Dog.  I'll agree, the ideal solution is a Bose-built small, light-weight, battery-powered, subwoofer designed specifically for use with the S1 Pro.  Of course, every time we discuss these features, we go round and round with folks saying why it can or can't be done. I say leave all this guess work to the Bose engineers. Either they can or can't do it and let them decide if they do or don't want to do it.  Meanwhile, for S1 Pro users who feel they absolutely need a subwoofer now, it's good to hear how other folks are finding solutions to the problem.  I for one, don't feel I need a sub that bad, and I will continue to wait until the right one comes along (hopefully a Bose).  For me, small size and light weight are just as important as being battery powered.  These are the feature that drew me to the S1 Pro, and I'd like any subwoofer that I use to have these same feature advantages. Maybe it will happen; maybe it won't.

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

Good response...I also agree Small is Mission Critical...I need a system that I can check in and fly with and the S1 gets me halfway there...(The size of checkin luggage is your space claim envelope.)

Keep the Thread going.....

Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

To all who crave a S1 appropriate sub.

Define your idea of small, and lightweight.

Compare your definition of small and lightweight to what is currently available across all makes.

If there is a discrepancy between your small and lightweight and the industry small and lightweight, ask and answer, why?

Define how you want to setup. Would the sub act as a base for a S1 pole mount? Or not? It makes a difference.

Compare published spl of various subs to the power rating and current draw of the amp. Determine if the necessary power to achieve desired spl is possible with the current available batteries on the market. Keep in mind capacity to outlast 4 hour gigs.

Try to come to a consensus here in this thread with a spec sheet that if built would be something you and 100,000 others would purchase.

O..

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Hi Oldghm.  Good to hear from you.  I'll take a wag at it. For me -- it should be around the size of a Fishman SA300X ( 10.3 in. x 14.4 in. x 19.8 in.; weight: 30 lbs or less) with battery power and a Bose designed cross-over capabilities designed for the S1Pro.

Then I guess I'd just only have to convince 99,999 other users it's a good idea!

Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 16, 2015

Randy, I'd also like to hear how you set up your rig, what mixer you're using, etc. 

I'm making an assumption that I'd take the main outputs from my T4S to the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP, then take the outputs from the EV to the S1s. 

Thanks

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

Oldghm posted:

To all who crave a S1 appropriate sub.

Define your idea of small, and lightweight.

Compare your definition of small and lightweight to what is currently available across all makes.

If there is a discrepancy between your small and lightweight and the industry small and lightweight, ask and answer, why?

Define how you want to setup. Would the sub act as a base for a S1 pole mount? Or not? It makes a difference.

Compare published spl of various subs to the power rating and current draw of the amp. Determine if the necessary power to achieve desired spl is possible with the current available batteries on the market. Keep in mind capacity to outlast 4 hour gigs.

Try to come to a consensus here in this thread with a spec sheet that if built would be something you and 100,000 others would purchase.

O..

Oh so you want us to be pragmatic about this..... : )

You made a great point about the sub being able to pole  mount the S1. I think you already knew that answer before asking the question..smart....so the answer is no since you need a specific size foot print to safely fly an S1 as well as something significantly heavy.

I would also say I would personally likely only use 1 Sub and 2 S1s for my micro mini wireless battery powered setup. 

My ultimate Sub would fit in a checkin sized suitcase...and for Southwest Airlines at least the weight limit per suitcase is 50lbs. So subtract 10 lbs or so for the suitcase and some chords and the weight would need to come in between 30 and 40lbs..... So for my requirements a 35 lb or less weight would work.

As far as power goes...I would say use the same battery as the S1 and the sub buyers could just buy a spare battery...nice to have anyway for the S1 and if the sub is thumpin and burning battery...just swap it out before the 3rd Set. 

Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 16, 2015

I was looking at the user manual for Electro-Voice ELX200-12S.  This is kind of nice.   The sub accepts left and right in and provides left/right out.   The L/R ins are routed only to the matching output.   So, if you've panned your channels, say one vocal left and one right, that will stay intact after going thru the sub.  Additionally, the volume on the sub doesn't affect the output signal level.

Registered since

Mar 29, 2019

an other good sub Proel HP10 inches 700 watt peak 350 RMS 30 lbs

with crossover ect... 350$ or 400$ me i prefer just 2 S1 the base is good on the S1  may be the sub is better for DJ

Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

Archtop Eddy posted:

Hi Randy. Thanks for the report!  Could you share how you're connecting the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12 to your S1 Pro?  Thanks!

Hi Archtop Eddy. Firstly, BTW, I really like your name. I love arch top guitars. Well, to connect the EV sub to the S1 Pro is very simple. I just connect a 1/4 inch TRS from the S1 Pro output to the EV subwoofer's input. I will try to share photos.

Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

KingBiscuit posted:

Randy, I'd also like to hear how you set up your rig, what mixer you're using, etc. 

I'm making an assumption that I'd take the main outputs from my T4S to the Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP, then take the outputs from the EV to the S1s. 

Thanks

Hi  for my guitar i use a Wampler Equator and a Red Eye preamp and for my voice I use a Mic Mechanic. The Mic Mechanic is a must for my S1 Pro. It makes the S1 Pro so much better.