Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: Subwoofer for S1 Pro

OR - B1200D - Power consumption 110 Watts.

Theoretically a 100 AH battery (through inverter) will run one sub for at least 4 or 5 hours...

Getting to be lots of (getting heavy) pieces to carry around though.

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Chet posted:

Starvin: "What if Bose made a new A1 packlite that was battery powered, 250 watts,  had cross over built in for the S1 and Compact but retained its normal base line out input for L1s. You could use B2, B1 ect."

Well (grinning), A1 amplifier $399 + B1 bass unit $299 (smaller but not as punchy as the B1200D) = $698 vs. $299 for B1200D.

(Grinning here too...) A smaller, light-weight, battery-powered, Bose-built unit = "priceless!"

Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

I like the idea of a bass line out from the S1 with a modified B1 or B2 to take that bass out. That would side step the taking away of all the S1 inputs.

It’s intuitively appealing to me to have some shared tech between the S1 and the L1. Of course, there’s a lot more details to figure out with this approach. 

Regardless, this is a very interesting discussion. Thanks to all who are participating. 

Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 13, 2006

Archtop Eddy posted:
Chet posted:
Starvin: "What if Bose made a new A1 packlite that was battery powered, 250 watts,  had cross over built in for the S1 and Compact but retained its normal base line out input for L1s. You could use B2, B1 ect."<

Well (grinning), A1 amplifier $399 + B1 bass unit $299 (smaller but not as punchy as the B1200D) = $698 vs. $299 for B1200D

I'm sorry I was only thinking of what would work for my situation and others like me. I have B1s and B2s already and I happen to love the sound of the B1/2 products . A battery powered  A1 with cross over and eq that was set up for B1/2 and was compatible with the L1 products would be ideal.

Chet posted:

OR - B1200D - Power consumption 110 Watts.

Theoretically a 100 AH battery (through inverter) will run one sub for at least 4 or 5 hours...

Getting to be lots of (getting heavy) pieces to carry around though.<

I guess we should also include the cost of a 100 Ah battery & inverter.

for me and others like me a redesigned A1 packlite= $699? Canadian vs B1200D = $472 Canadian + 100 Ah battery & inverter = ?

Archtop Eddy posted

(Grinning here too...) A smaller, light-weight, battery-powered, Bose-built unit = "priceless!"

I'm with Archtop Eddy here.

Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Starvin: I agree.  If Bose was selling a light-weight, battery powered highpass filter and amp (last year) that could drive two B1s or a B2 at a price less than $600 or so, I may have held on to my 2 B1s instead.  🙂

And true.  Battery: $350, Inverter $125, Charger $50 (or solar panel/charge controller) has to be added to the tab.  Although I already have all of those.

Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 13, 2006

Chet posted:

Starvin: I agree.  If Bose was selling a light-weight, battery powered highpass filter and amp (last year) that could drive two B1s or a B2 at a price less than $600 or so, I may have held on to my 2 B1s instead.  🙂

And true.  Battery: $350, Inverter $125, Charger $50 (or solar panel/charge controller) has to be added to the tab.  Although I already have all of those.

$700 or so ?

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Chet posted:

Starvin: I agree.  .

Now if we could only get Bose to read this thread and agree too!

Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Of course, I don't plan on using my 2 B1200Ds and 2 S1 Pros at places where I can't plug in.

I'll stay with the battery powered mixer and 2 S1 pros.

Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

FYI:  There's the back panel part to a B1200D for sale on eBay for $89 or best offer.  They say it's not working.  If I was industrious enough and had the electronic skills to run down the problem, I'd get it and install it in B1 unit and see how it sounds!

Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

While I was gone you guys have touched on why we don't have every gadget we want.

There has to be a demand in the market place that goes beyond a few special needs musicians.

The only reason I would like to have a sub for the S1 is so I could use my Travelog. I would still need the third channel.  

I have a 12 inch sub that I can run the S1 line out to, and I have a small bass amp that would do in a pinch, but neither is a proper solution when compared to just using my Model II. For me a proper crossover to use with a B1 and A1 might be a viable option because I already own the A1 and B1. For someone to buy those units to supplement an S1 I don't think is something Bose could bank on.

If the S1 had a slight I/O redesign and marketed with a matching sub as a truly professional small system, it might work.

O..