bass88_2
Registered since

Apr 20, 2010

Sunfire True Subwoofer Mark2 and Bose L1M2

I recently acquired a Sunfire True Subwoofer MK2. The unit is a small approx 13x13 cube with two 10" drivers and is crazy heavy. The MFG boasts 2700Watts of power and this thing seems bullet proof so I thought I'd try it.

The unit has both high and line level inputs and directions say to only use the left side when running mono.

I tried the bass out from the L1 but it barely moved the driver. The aux output was far better and the low end was very good with a crazy room shaking rumble!!

This unit is actually a high end home/commercial audio product but it really added to the l1 so I'd like to keep it for a while.

I guess my question : Has anyone used one of these if so how did you connect it? any recommendations any thought at all would be appreciated.

Cheers!
1 REPLY 1
Dan_Cornett
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

Re: Sunfire True Subwoofer Mark2 and Bose L1M2

I have not used this (Sunfire) unit, but I did look over the specs on the Carver line, and I would first try it with the crossover set at ~40Hz, which is the low-end of the B1's, so that they don't overlap much in operation.

I would NOT use the bass-line out from the L1, because that signal is "tailored" on the assumption that more B1's are being added. Instead, I'd just "Y" the main output of the T1 and let the Sunfire crossover remove the excess mid-/hi-band signal.

If you have a sweep signal generator available, I'd use that to adjust the relative volume (and perhaps tweak the crossover point) ... in lieu of that, a good keyboard flute/organ/bass sound that you can use to "walk down" past that 40Hz point could be used to adjust the volume control on the Sunfire to match the relative volume of the B1's and the L1.

Now, on the other hand, if you don't have two B1's, then I might be inclined to set the cross-over higher so that it supplements (augments / adds-to) the single B1, as opposed to complementing (extending the range of) the B1's, as I was assuming above.