Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

T-1 Phantom Power

Hello.  We are running an L1 M2 w/B2 and T-1.  We run two vocal mics through Channels 1 and 2, and an Acoustic Guitar through Channel 4.  We have used Channel 3 as our "guest channel" for either guitar or vocal mic, adjusting the channel settings on the fly, as needed.   Our main vocal mics are Shure Beta 87A's and require Phantom Power.  Recently we offered the 'Guest' Channel 3 to a Guitarist playing a vintage Gibson ES-335.   He was concerned about plugging into the channel because of the Phantom Power being activated.  Said he had heard stories about people damaging, pre-amps, pickups, etc. by "sending the extra 48 Volts up to the instrument that is plugged in."  I paused, suddenly realizing my own confusion.  I always thought that Phantom Power would only work with an XLR connection, meaning that the 3d pin carries the voltage.   No??? Further, I always thought that if you plug an instrument cable into Channels 1-3 on a T-1, the 1/4 inch cable does not access or carry the 48V Signal.  Again, ???

Alternatively, is there a way to isolate one of the three Channels from Phantom power, while keeping it active on the other two?  

Any enlightenment here is greatly appreciated.  Cheers!~

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: T-1 Phantom Power

Hi FSBOI,

There is no phantom power applied to the 1/4 inch inputs on the T1 regardless if the setting of the phantom power switch. Phantom power is only applied to XLR inputs.

For more information see: Phantom Power

Does that help?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

Re: T-1 Phantom Power

Yes!  Thanks.