auditory
Registered since

Jan 25, 2010

Re: T.C. Helicon VoiceLive versus Digitech Vocalist Live 4

I too am deciding between these 2 units. But I think im in a different boat then the majority of you. First off I do pop music and the units would be used in the studio not live.

I currently use Antares autotune plug in which works great. Im looking for something just like that (or better) except hardware. Whats confusing me is the majority of you seem to be making the unit find it's tune by playing a long. I need to be able to program the scale and just leave it as the singer sings away. Is that possible with these units?

Thoughts?
Todd_Cole
Registered since

Mar 29, 2008

Hi Auditory
I do a one man band and I use the rack mount T.C. helicon VoiceWorks model. I use a Roland XV5050 for my midi tracks and use one midi channel to sent the info to the VoiceWorks to control it with the correct harmony and key and effects if you like. It has worked very well for me in my setup.Dont know if this helps any just a different way to do it.

Just my 2 cents Todd
elranchodeluxe
Registered since

Nov 9, 2005

I believe the Voicelive allows you to choose between automatic pitch detection and choosie a specific key.

quote:
Originally posted by Auditory:
I too am deciding between these 2 units. But I think im in a different boat then the majority of you. First off I do pop music and the units would be used in the studio not live.

I currently use Antares autotune plug in which works great. Im looking for something just like that (or better) except hardware. Whats confusing me is the majority of you seem to be making the unit find it's tune by playing a long. I need to be able to program the scale and just leave it as the singer sings away. Is that possible with these units?

Thoughts?
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

The Digitech Vocalist Live 4 offers no option for preprogramming.

If the recording has a guitar track it could trigger the correct harmony while you are tracking the vocal.

It might require some creative cableing.

O..
davidalanacoust
Registered since

Oct 27, 2010

While were on topic, i see Amazon has a TC Harmony G for $119.00 and Musicians Friend has a TC Voice Tone Harmony G-XT for $249.00

Anyone know the difference? The knobs look the same, not sure if one is updated & was wondering if that price jump is warranted in any way?

http://www.amazon.com/TC-Helic...arists/dp/B001I4QWYU

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VTHarmonyGXT/

Thanks-
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

I like the VoiceLive2 because it can sense guitar chords, MIDI or keyboard entry and MP3 tracks through the aux input. Since I do all three, it makes sense for me in that regard. If I were just playing guitar, I might have gone with a cheaper option.

interesting note: my friend borrowed my VoiceLive2 for his gig. He's playing guitar and I get up to sing along in harmony with him on the VoiceLive2 connected mic. We're doing Dear Prudence and it seemed like the VL2 was grabbing harmonies from the two harmonies we were singing! Everybody commented on how great it sounded on those big harmonies. It was really cool, I must admit.

One really great advantage of the VL2 is the STEP feature. Each Preset can have as many as 10 Steps. A Step is a complete scene of harmony type, reverb type, doubling, delay, etc. Like say, for instance, you're doing Peaceful Easy Feeling. You need a single harmony following a third above for the second verse. Then, you need one above, one below for the second chorus. Then, maybe two above and one below for the final chorus. you can program all of these different settings into Steps and have them all available under the "Peaceful" Preset. And there are 200 Presets available. That's like three completely different 4-hour gigs you can carry in with this pedal.

It really is a very powerful machine. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of its capabilities. Not cheap, I know, but actually worth it, IMHO.