Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcon1111
Registered since

Oct 3, 2008

T.C. Helicon VoiceLive versus Digitech Vocalist Live 4

I am on the verge of purchasing a vocal harmony processor. I have done a lot of research both online and with various music stores. I'm kinda on the fence as to whether the T.C. Helicon VoiceLive when used with their HarmonyControl/Guitar pedal or the Digitech Vocalist Live 4 would be the best choice. I read the comments and opinions that Rayman , Ted the Musician and others had posted but at that time I don't believe any one had been using the VoiceLive with the HarmonyControl/Guitar pedal which in theory would work very much like th e Digitech Vocalist Live 4. And if quality of the harmony voices compare favorably on these 2 units. And although the Helicon setup would be around $300 more, if the tracking and voice qualities were superior it would be worth it to me. I was wondering if anyone has played with and done enough tweaking with the Digitech Vovalist Live 4 to know whether the humanizing type functions are on par with the Helicon VoiceLive. It seems I've heard more than one person comment on the sense of realness that the Helicon produces. If anyone can help me with my quest it would be greatly appreciated.
25 REPLIES 25
dandyman
Registered since

May 11, 2005

Re: T.C. Helicon VoiceLive versus Digitech Vocalist Live 4

Well, I have not USED the Digitech unit, but I have heard it (I use the Helicon VoiceLive with the Harmony Control Guitar units). The Helicon sounds much more like real voices (at least to my ear). The Harmonty Control Guitar works very well, but its not perfect... It has trouble tracking songs in 'D' (at least w/my guitars)... but it certainly cuts the 'button dancing' down to a minimum... for most songs, once you pick your preset, you don't even need to touch either of the units. (On a lot of songs with straight-forward third of fifth-type harmonies, I leave the HC guitar 'off' because its not needed... the VL unit handles the harmony changes.)

I don't know about the Digitech units, but among other things, the Helicon VL lets you customize and save scales for non-standard harmonies... you can also edit and save your presets to your computer.

The down-side to the Helicon VL is that there are so many options that the learning curve is fairly steep... but you can sound good (w/o customizing) right out of the box. YMMV 🙂

Dan
kingscourt
Registered since

Oct 27, 2006

The VL4 has changed the way I do music.

It tracks the harmonies very well, and sounds good to my ears.

Listen to some of the harmonies on my You Tube Site, or on my myspace below.
JD11
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 2, 2007

Hey dcon...I know it's not really what you asked but I was also considering the same units that you mentioned and ultimately went with the Telicon HarmonyG.

Couldn't be happier. I thought I may need the programming capabilities available in the others and maybe the additional harmonies. Nope. The 2 part harmonies are right on the money for my band situation.

I also thought I'd need the pitch correction but it hasn't been an issue at all.

Don't rule out the cheaper TC HarmonyG...it may work for you

JD
dcon1111
Registered since

Oct 3, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by JD1:
Hey dcon...I know it's not really what you asked but I was also considering the same units that you mentioned and ultimately went with the Telicon HarmonyG.

Couldn't be happier. I thought I may need the programming capabilities available in the others and maybe the additional harmonies. Nope. The 2 part harmonies are right on the money for my band situation.

I also thought I'd need the pitch correction but it hasn't been an issue at all.

JD
dcon1111
Registered since

Oct 3, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by JD1:

I had entertained the thought of getting the TC HarmonyG but wasn't sure I would be satisfied with having less options and features. Perhaps I should go demo one at my local music store. Thanks for the suggestion
JD
dancingdogmuse
Registered since

Feb 19, 2004

here is a link to a forum for the TC-helicon VoiceLive
VoiceLive forum
You might find some useful info over there.
I have one..it is very complex..many many options...great sound..very real..useable for recordings..there are reports of software problems...I have experienced this too....good info about all this on the voicelive forum.
...harry
Dancing Dog Muse
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, I had bought one. They are high quality but I lacked the patience and knowledge to use it. For a simple guy like me, the Vocalist Live is a better option.
mysticradio
Registered since

Sep 16, 2007

I HIGHLY recommend TC Helicon Voicetone Harmony M and Harmony G..... they are inexpensive and sound STELLAR..... voicetone M follows midi chords. voicetone G follows guitar chords. I own BOTH.

THEY ARE DEAD SIMPLE TO OPERATE. I initially bought the Digitech voice live PRO.. it was too complex to figure out. TC Helicon voicetone's are highly recommended by me/
tony_2
Registered since

Aug 28, 2004

I don't know if I should post this here or not Maybe it shoul be a private message to Mysticradio because I think he's the only one mentioning that he has this but I have been looking at the VoiceTone Harmony-M. I'm not sure how I would use it thought because I am part of a duo. Here is my situation:

I use sequences on my Motif ES and leave out an instrument to play along with them, usualy piano or electric paino. I alo sing.

My wife has a PSR-2000 (I think). She doesn't play it that much... just a few little solos here and there and she sings as well.

We pride our selves on our two part harmony but I was looking at the Harmony-M for addition harmony as well as Ooos and Ahhs. We both woudn't need to use the harmony at the same time but I would like us to both have the benefits of the effects and vocal processing of the Harmony-M. Would I need two units to accomplish this. But then if I get two units, If there would be a song where my wife would be doing the harmonies, it wouldn't work because she would have the midi information from the Motif ES coming into her Harmony-M.

My apologies for this being kind of off topic but I learn so much from you all and you are my only source. Oh I also have an L1 Model 1 and a T1. in addition to the keyboards we use two SM58 Shure Mics.