Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 26, 2007

T1 Features Poll

Hi Musicians,

Please see the question below and feel free to respond to the thread with additional details. As always thanks for your input.

Craig
48 REPLIES 48
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: T1 Features Poll

Hi Craig,

In case you haven't seen it, there is a thread with T1® Feature Requests
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 27, 2009

Can't really understand the great need for stereo?

1) L1 systems are designed with wide spread to eliminate the need for stereo.
2) You gotta buy and carry around two arrays, not one!

Also, the vote should have allowed more than one answer. That would ultimately give a more realistic picture.
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Craig,

Unfortunately the Poll function doesn't allow multiple answers.

Here are some thoughts for Craig and L1® Owners

First - a little background context
  • I use the T1® in front of Classics, Compacts and Model IIs.

• I always use one T1® for each performer (me or someone else). I have tried sharing T1®s and L1®s. I prefer not to do this. If I have to share an L1®, I bring a T1® for each performer.

• I have lots of stereo gear (effects, stereo or dual source instruments) I also have multiple L1®s so I could easily run stereo if I wanted to. I don't perceive any need to do this though - although I don't play keyboards live and that might change my perspective on this.

• When I play in a duo, I use two L1®.

• When I play in a band I use one L1® for each performer unless I have two or perhaps three performers covering similar roles playing as a section. (for example: horns section)

Stereo

If stereo means having two discrete outputs, (e.g. Left and Right) then the T1® has the ability to do this now using Aux as Left and Master as Right. It's just not very convenient.

Stereo can also include the ability to pan (place the sound source somewhere in the virtual sound field). There is no Pan control in the T1®, but you can control how much sound from a single source goes to Aux or Master (or both). So you can do it. It's just not very convenient.

Stereo suggests to me that you have two signal paths with the same capabilities. We don't have this with the T1® in the sense that the Aux out does not include Reverb. This is not an issue for me, but it is one area in which you could say that the T1® is not capable of stereo.

Stereo usually includes an easy way to manage the volume of both Left and Right sides at the same time. There isn't a way to do that with Aux and Master Outputs on the T1®.

Is Stereo relevant to me? No; but if I was running as a duo with stereo backing tracks two L1®s (any kind) and trying to route everything through a single T1® then I might want it. But I accept the premise that the T1® is a personal interface for a single performer. Sharing a T1® takes me too far away from how I like to work with it.

Additional Channels
Using the T1® for just me (not sharing) I have rarely needed more channels. If you give me another mic/line combo input I might use it, but NOT if you have to make the T1® bigger to do it.

Amp Modeling
I could use a really clean, touch responsive, tube-like warmth with a little bit of break up that was controllable with the volume control of my guitar.

Headphone Jacks
I can plug headphones into the Master Output or the Aux Output. I get the same sound in both ears (probably 180 ° out of phase - but I can't hear that in headphones). Since the T1® is mono device, being able to use headphones in this way is fine for me. If I really needed to hear stereo, I could rig up something to take Aux and Master Outputs and send them as Left and Right into headphones. I haven't needed to do this.

Remote Foot Control
I would like to have a hands-free way to interact with the T1®, but I'm not sure how often I would use it.

I could imagine it would be nice to:
  • Mute/Unmute a channel

• Turn effects on / off - OR-

• Redirect an input to a different channel with a different set of effects

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 8, 2009

A couple more xlr ins on the T1 would seem appropriate - just in case someone drops by to sit in, or if I want to have an electric guitar ready to go, along with my 6 and 12 string acoustics...

Funny thing is, I bought the T1 just to expand on the xlr ins found on my model 1 - thus far, I have not required them. Playing solo, I prefer the sound of the L1 straight into the head w/o the T1...
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 26, 2009

Agreed 100%, a couple of more XLRs would be the way to go! And a trade in, if they come out with a T2! Smile
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 24, 2004

The foot switch is the big one for me and it's the only major gripe I've got with the T1.

Does ANYONE turn effects like chorus or flange on and LEAVE them on all the time?

We've got all these wonderful digital effects but I never use any of them because I can't switch them off without going over to the T1 and fiddling with it.

I'd love to have a foot switch that lets me turn the various effects categories on or off

While we're fantasizing (this would be REALLY cool), I'd like to switch between zEQ settings or - more realistically - scenes.

Example: I play bass in a Motown/Soul/Funk/R&B band. When I'm playing funk, I'd like a really scooped sound for slapping, but when I play Motown, I want an old-school thump with midrange presence. I'd love to be able to hit a footswitch and make that happen.

So let's say I could choose two scenes and designate them A and B. The two are identical except for the bass zEQ. Hit the switch and the scenes toggle. Simple.

For that matter, the same thing could be used to toggle effects... just save the on/off settings as a new scene... Hmmmmm.....

Okay, how's this: Have a four-button footswitch (easy) and have each button call up one of four user-definable scenes. That should be enough to keep most people happy.

The thing that keeps hope alive for me is that the necessary connection is already there, in the form of the USB port. We don't need an all-new T1.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 6, 2009

Craig, you should have added a "all of the above" choice!
Amp modeling is on top of my list, but the results of the poll say differently Roll Eyes.
I would gladly trade in the chorus, phaser and flanger for it!

Wow, can you guys see the foot control? a nice black thing with HUGE mute buttons that your feet are just DYING to step on? Smile
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 11, 2011

The amp mods and foot controller would top my list.
QUESTION: Is it possible you might bring these features into current models?? That usb port has been begging for a foot controller connected to it!!
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 24, 2004

More flexible EQ to help control feedback would be good.

We've been pushing our systems pretty hard and struggling a bit even using an RTA and the parametric EQ to ring out the room. We can get the primary resonant frequency sorted but we often wind up feeding back on the secondary frequency before we get enough gain to make the audience happy. The singer is starting to complain and her lips are ON the mic screen. The natives are restless.

I'm actually considering inserting a third-band EQ or even a (shudder) feedback destroyer into one of the vocal channels to get this solved. That goes against the whole LESS GEAR mantra by which I've lived my life since going with the L1.